What kind of excursions do they offer?

Sox Fan Cruiser

We have never cruised with Star Clippers but only with the “big ships”. What kind of excursions do they offer. We are sailing out of Barbados hitting a few islands in the Caribbean in December. Are they the same kind as offered by the likes of Princess or Celebrity?  The website doesn’t explain. And I think you only pick them once on the ship, right?

I am booked for a Greece cruise in October.  I was able to print the list of excursions off the Star Clipper WEB site several months ago.  It is apparently true that you book them when on board or so the person at Clipper Lines told me.

DON

17 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We have never cruised with Star Clippers but only with the “big ships”. What kind of excursions do they offer. We are sailing out of Barbados hitting a few islands in the Caribbean in December. Are they the same kind as offered by the likes of Princess or Celebrity?  The website doesn’t explain. And I think you only pick them once on the ship, right?

A noticeable difference is that sailing with such a small group makes things simpler.
You'll get advance notice about all the trip's land tours, & might be asked to specify your preference for day 1/2 (can often change your mind with 1 day's notice).

Once on board, there is usually a tour description and sign-up sheet in the lounge/library-usually 3 days prior to arrival.  Some have a max capacity, some adjust the transportation based on the # that sign up.

Example:  

On day 1, they'll announce the tour details for day 2-4.  Usually 2 different land tours, plus options to go ashore on your own, go on the tender to a beach with water-sports provided, or stay on the boat.

You go to the library to sign up (charged to your cabin).  Tours may have a maximum capacity (1st come first serve), & may add another bus if 1 tour is very popular.  Deadline will be 24-36 hours to sign up (we did a last minute change with no difficulty though).

Since they're dealing with a group of 100 or less, its much less complicated than the thousands  on a big ship.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:26 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Awesome!  Are the tours themselves similar to the ones on a big ship (catamaran/snorkeling, local food tour, bus tour showing island highlights).  Or are they more boutique type activities?

We've only done the Greek islands, but all tours were walking tours with a local guide.  Small groups, so no headsets needed.  Bussed to the tour location, but not a lot of "look out the window while riding by"

We did about 1/2 of the provider tours & 1/2 on on own.  Usually just waited until we were on the dock and found a local tour/rental provider.

Water activities are complementary and provided by Star Clippers.  They'll teach you to sail their small boats and let you go off on your own with them!