The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 23rd, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from sunny SW Florida. Thaks for the dally and a special thanks today to Roy.

Roy, you are one of the great people who make this forum work. I wish you a very special happy birthday.

It reminds me of a birthday I celebrasted on a BHB, it was my 64th. The piano player played the beatle song: "When I'm 64" to help me celebrate. We all sang "Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm 64" and had lots of laughs.

The Hemmingway quote is interesting. I think he was responding to the popular saying: "Ignorance is bliss". He was very involved in polital movements around the worls and was very likely dismayed about the state of humanity at that point. He was, obviously, very intelligent and also disappointed in the failures of the human race. He, actually, is giving us a lot to think about with that quote.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25

Cool and cloudy!! What a wonderful forecast. We had a lovely hard rain last night - unfortunately just when the little Bandit was about to make his final outing. I waited a bit until it let up then we both got wet. Mind you, I am not complaining. I have been able to turn our sprinkler system off for awhile - that will save water and $$. 

Sorry to read of all the health issues. My doctor would say it is a function of aging. Sometimes I do not like my doctor very much.

I have hopes of getting the two card tables that are still in my living room folded and put away. That will be progress.

Susan

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It's today Roy.  

This was delivered this afternoon!

DSCN2693.thumb.JPG.ca8c3a2cb3c1cd91ac890b83b3fbc8d7.JPG

Happy birthday Colin!  Could there be a finer way to celebrate? I think not!

@ger_77Dh is officially on Day 8. Last Wednesday was zero and you count on from Thursday. I was sprung on Day 8 so he’s a bit down about it. So to cheer himself up he’s ordering a ribeye from the Bayou Steakhouse tonight with a baked potato. And wine!  No charge of course😉

Tomorrow is day 9. Surely they can’t keep him incarcerated much longer. He said he’d like to step foot in Norway once or twice this cruise. 🇳🇴

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

It's sad when anyone becomes a widow and I pray for comfort for them. I'm trying to let it go by decluttering. I like pink and have several pink shirts.

Disagree with the quote. I like the meal, but too carby for now. Pass on the drink. I like the wine.

I haven't been to Jakarta.

It will be nice here today. There were storms yesterday, but my area escaped without power outages or trees down. Today will be low 80's, less humid, and sunny. I'm heading out to the Ophthalmologist shortly for my uveitis check, and blood work. Then run a few errands.

@rafinmd HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good to hear the steroids helped DH and he comes home today.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear Sam and the aide have tested positive. I hope the rest of the family stays ok and your test is negative.

@Cruzin Terri I hope the lower dose of Prednisone works out.

@bennybear Oh no on DH's melanoma diagnosis. Prayers for a successful surgery.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for a negative test for DH tomorrow. Good news about Buddy, and I hope they can get some increased nutrition for him. Happy Birthday to your DD tomorrow.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is doing a bit better today. 

@grapau27 Praying the steroid shot helps. That's pretty warm in your area.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask when needed.

Thank you Vanessa.

I had the injection about an hour ago and so far so good.

Graham.

• Like 17

Good morning all!

We returned home last night after a full, fun, and tiring time at the beach with the 2 grandsons.  It really went very well, but oh my I do feel my age trying to keep up with them. 😉  We did Go-Carts, lots of pool time, beach time, bonfire with s'mores, games and movies.  Thank goodness for iPads, giving Nana and Pa some down time!  Rather than going to restaurants, I cooked all our meals so there was that too.

One concern, the 9-year-old (who is the size of an 11-year-old) developed some concerning symptoms on the 2nd and 3rd day.  On the first day his appetite was the usual (huge) but on the 2nd and 3rd day he barely ate anything (very unusual), slept more, and he was congested.  It could just be a cold, but his Dad got him tested when we brought him home yesterday.  Waiting for the results.  DD is away for 5 days on a girls' trip and we and the other grandparents are helping out so DSIL can work.  DSIL canceled the other grandparents' babysitting duties last night until the test results come in.  DD will be home tomorrow. 

Sadly I know several widows, sending hugs to them and the widows here. I try to "let it go" but sometimes it's easier said than done.  I also thought Pink Day was for breast cancer, but see it can also be for stopping bullying.  I don't agree with the quote, would like the meal but with very little spice,  will pass on the drink and wine.  That reminds me, in the news I saw that Chateau Ste. Michelle will be moving from Woodinville (very near us) to Eastern WA!  That was a big surprise.

For a couple days my iPhone had a strange blurring in the top left corner of the screen.  Has anyone else had this happen?  Last night I Googled it and lo and behold, it's some ridiculous change Apple has decided we need. 😕  Good news is it told how to get rid of it, and now it's gone.  I couldn't see the time or the first part of the top line on the screen, kind of aggravating!

Roy @rafinmdHappy Birthday!

Colin @VMax1700Happy Birthday on a BHB!

Carol @mamaofamiI'm so sorry to hear that your DH and his aide have Covid and prayers that your test is negative.

@bennybearI'm very sorry to hear that your DH has melanoma.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserprayers that your DH gets relief soon.  My Mother also suffered from spinal stenosis.

Jacqui @kazuyikes about your phone being run over!  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  A very happy shared birthday to Roy and Colin!  I have never had a birthday on a ship - once we had an anniversary and got a cake in the Pinnacle Grill.  

Hope the injection is a great success, Graham.  You should take it easy for a few days, though.  Prayers for our widows and those ailing, and wishing for negative tests for those testing!  How long after you recover from Covid can you still test positive?  I wonder about the "colds" Pat and I had.  I still get these overwhelming bouts of tiredness and I just have to sleep.  I'm wondering if I should have gone to get a PCR test.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

@rafinmdRoy - Happy Birthday from the other side of the county line! After last night's rain, the sun "should" come out later today, according to the weather report.

Also, Happy Birthday to @VMax1700 - lucky you to have a birthday on a BHB!

As a widow, I want to thank everyone on the Daily for all the love and support I've received during the journey. Such an kind and caring group is a rare find and I won't "Let it go!"

Thanks to everyone that make this such a special spot. Prayers for all who need them, and cheers for all who are celebrating!

Edi

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

@Vict0riann I would suggest a PCR test as it's generally more reliable than the antigen test.  I THINK the exception is after an infection where the PCR test can stay positive for quite a while while an antigen  test goes back to negative right away.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Vict0riann I would suggest a PCR test as it's generally more reliable than the antigen test.  I THINK the exception is after an infection where the PCR test can stay positive for quite a while while an antigen  test goes back to negative right away.

Roy

Thanks, Roy.  I am relieved.  We don't have to test any more to fly in or out of Canada, and our tests 3 days before we  board the NS on July 16 will be antigen, so hopefully whatever has been going on won't show up!

• Like 17

A couple of new developments for me.  We discussed Luggage Forward a while ago.  Yesterday I dropped off my bag for my July 1 QM2 cruise at the UPS store.(I get my mail there anyway and it is easier for me than planning to be home for the pickup),  It has already been delivered to their agent's office in Brooklyn so they are VERY conservative in getting bags to the port on time.

Yesterday evening I had a voicemail from the Baltimore Symphony with advance notice that one of the concert series I'm subscribed to has been cancelled for the upcoming season.  Apparently, this is a very recent development and I will need to make some painful adjustments there.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

We just saw the physical therapist.  She had DH walk around the hall and showed him some exercises to do at home.  We decided to come here twice a week for therapy too, so he can use some of their machines.  Today he is walking pretty well.  

The nurse practioner, and she is doing the discharge paper work.  It turned out the new medicine was a shot for people who are in bed here for a long time and is given to all patients.  Since DH is going home today, he refused the shot.  

So things are looking up.  

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Two comments. I talked to DH and he corrected me in where his steak is coming from. First, not from the speciality dining restaurant Bayou. It’s right on the room service menu AND it’s an 8 oz. filet mignon. I don’t want wrong information out there for other Island Princess quarantine people. 

Also texted DS and he’s hoping to test negative by Friday night so he can get to Indianapolis for a soccer game or two of his son Ren’s. DDIL is taking him there tonight for tomorrow’s game. A niece and  nephew of mine are heading there from St. Louis to watch Ren too. Big sports fans.

DS forgot to mention the other day that his other son is positive for Covid too. He was already symptomatic when DS got home from his Hawaii trip. Can you believe this!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon all.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes, and lists.  I like the collection of days today.  Not so sure about the quote though.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty as does the wine.  I haven’t been to today’s port, can’t wait to see the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ..................................

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.--Ernest Hemingway, The Garden of Eden...........................................

Garden Of Eden Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

Pin on Stuff Worth Knowing

Garden Of Eden Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

WRITER CRAMPS (Main): 14/04/19 - 21/04/19

Adam and Eve and their teenage daughter... | Bible humor, Christian jokes,  Religious humor

ReverendFun.com : Cartoon for May 17, 2001: "Only a Rib"

Adam And Eve Funny Quotes. QuotesGram

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 8
  • Haha 25

Good morning!  Thanks for all the kind wishes for DH.   I do think we caught it early, thankfully,  but he will need a second surgery as they want extra wide clear margins to be safe.  The last time he had it the small melanoma surgery had about a seven inch scar!  Please diligently check yourself and partners,  I think people think melanoma is a raised mole and in both these cases it was absolutely flat.  

Happy birthday Roy and Colin!  Lucky you on board to celebrate!  

We visited one of our favourite places yesterday, but went a different route,  it was so lovely.

B0F5C4E9-B628-46BB-A69F-6260955C5491.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!

Today was Medical Morning.  First I met with the surgeon who was dismayed that I still had pain.  I told him it wasn't as intense so the gallbladder was probably contributing.  I didn't want him to feel too badly.  He's back to talking about taking out the adrenal mass, but I have a different thought on the source of the pain.  

After that I went to have the x-ray taken of my hip and they managed to squeeze me in for bone density scan as well.  I should get the results back by tomorrow.   

Then, I stopped and picked up a new prescription for the price of $90.  Outrageous.  I tried to drop it and my blood sugar went haywire.  

When I got home I reread the original MRI that set all of this in motion.  Instead of concentrating on the adrenal mass, I read the rest of it and I am now wondering if the cause is the scoliosis.  My spine curves to the left and then rotates.  It could be there isn't enough support for the right side and it results in pain.  Questions for the doc.   

@marshhawk The color has mostly grown out or faded.  I was supposed to have a hair appointment today, but my hairdresser is sick.  So, I go on Monday and we will decide what I want to do with it next.  I could just go blonde as everyone seemed to like that.  

Blondie.thumb.jpg.c1bf9d4c31328c3f12b0c0dad698cbda.jpg

@Cruzin Terri Maybe you'd like the garlic parmesan version?   

@jimgev Thank you!   This was an easy dish to outdo myself on.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning!  A very happy shared birthday to Roy and Colin!  I have never had a birthday on a ship - once we had an anniversary and got a cake in the Pinnacle Grill.  

Hope the injection is a great success, Graham.  You should take it easy for a few days, though.  Prayers for our widows and those ailing, and wishing for negative tests for those testing!  How long after you recover from Covid can you still test positive?  I wonder about the "colds" Pat and I had.  I still get these overwhelming bouts of tiredness and I just have to sleep.  I'm wondering if I should have gone to get a PCR test.

Thank you so much Ann and everyone else for your kind concerns.

Doctor said my knee arthritis is 

Moderate-Severe.

The plaster is the injection site.

Fortunately the injection was almost painless.

16560058836997611454074929986518.jpg

• Like 19

Good news, DGS tested negative so I guess it's "just" a cold.  As DSIL the PA says, his symptoms are similar to Covid symptoms, so I did the right thing by alerting him.  I just feel bad that he had to miss more work (he stayed home when DD and the younger DGS had Covid a few weeks ago). 

Debbie @dfishI love your hair blonde! 

Your theory about the pain could very well be right -- let us know what you learn.

Now to catch up on laundry and yardwork! 

• Like 21