QM-2 24thJune For 3Weeks

RJChatsworth

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

RJChatsworth was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Arrived at Southampton early at 1145 and boarded easily. There was a bit of confusion at check-in as staff hadn’t seen an ArriveCAN form for entering Canada at Halifax before.  It is one form with both my wife and my name on it.  This couldn’t be correct, we should have one form each - NO!

When in the cabin I rang the front desk.  Question: our 3-week cruise is made up of 3 voyages, Southampton to New York, New York to New York and New York to Southampton.  Wi-Fi for 3 weeks would cost 21 days x $15 per day = $315 and I can only offset my $135 Diamond benefit against it - not my wife’s as well.  As we are on 3 separate Voyages shouldn’t I get $135 benefit per voyage.  They didn’t know and reply is taking some time!

Looking at cabin plan in little booklet in room I note that all deck 8 cabins are grey in colour with no numbers.  I do hope they are not expecting that much Covid isolation!!

PS:  The kind lady at the front desk has just phoned to say our 3 week cruise is made up of 3 voyages and therefore I am entitled to $135 Diamond benefit for each sector which will more than make up the $315 -win win!  Very happy bunny!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RJChatsworth said:

Arrived at Southampton early at 1145 and boarded easily. There was a bit of confusion at check-in as staff hadn’t seen an ArriveCAN form for entering Canada at Halifax before.  It is one form with both my wife and my name on it.  This couldn’t be correct, we should have one form each - NO!

When in the cabin I rang the front desk.  Question: our 3-week cruise is made up of 3 voyages, Southampton to New York, New York to New York and New York to Southampton.  Wi-Fi for 3 weeks would cost 21 days x $15 per day = $315 and I can only offset my $135 Diamond benefit against it - not my wife’s as well.  As we are on 3 separate Voyages shouldn’t I get $135 benefit per voyage.  They didn’t know and reply is taking some time!

Looking at cabin plan in little booklet in room I note that all deck 8 cabins are grey in colour with no numbers.  I do hope they are not expecting that much Covid isolation!!

PS:  The kind lady at the front desk has just phoned to say our 3 week cruise is made up of 3 voyages and therefore I am entitled to $135 Diamond benefit for each sector which will more than make up the $315 -win win!  Very happy bunny!

Excellent news about the wifi. Presumably you get three of all the other benefits as well. Three bottles of PA for instance. 😀

Do tell us all a out your trip and how QM2 is. All being well, we board when you get back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Excellent news about the wifi. Presumably you get three of all the other benefits as well. Three bottles of PA for instance. 😀

Do tell us all a out your trip and how QM2 is. All being well, we board when you get back.

Hope so but don’t hold your breath!

The dreaded masks!  To be worn everywhere outside the cabin except when eating and drinking.  I assume that is inside ship and not outside!  I was expecting to see a notice about only 4 in a lift but the numbers seem to be unlimited.

The Captain is Andrew Hall.  Haven’t come across him before.  The Entertainment Director is Amanda Reid - have seen her a few times.

We can highly recommend avoiding the lifts.

Recently over 14 days we ascended an average of 1000 steps per day travelling between decks 2 and 12 at least 5 times and once a day between decks 7 and 12. We descended a similar number.

Always wearing masks and at lunch and dinner my wife was usually wearing 3 or 4 inch heels.

Along with saying no to many of the excesses that the waiters tried to force on us, regular gym visits and a lot of dancing, we are happy to say that we were the same weights on return as we were to start with!

To save anyone else counting decks 2 to 12 on staircase B is 191 steps. Decks 7 to 12 on staircase A is 99 steps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for what I hope is the first of many reports RJChatsworth. I am setting here in my den isolating with COVID (feeling fine). Now I will be able to travel again on the QM2 vicariously through you as I recover. 

All the best.

Jack

41 minutes ago, D&N said:

We can highly recommend avoiding the lifts.

Recently over 14 days we ascended an average of 1000 steps per day travelling between decks 2 and 12 at least 5 times and once a day between decks 7 and 12. We descended a similar number.

Always wearing masks and at lunch and dinner my wife was usually wearing 3 or 4 inch heels.

Along with saying no to many of the excesses that the waiters tried to force on us, regular gym visits and a lot of dancing, we are happy to say that we were the same weights on return as we were to start with!

To save anyone else counting decks 2 to 12 on staircase B is 191 steps. Decks 7 to 12 on staircase A is 99 steps.

My spouse didn't do any of those horribly rigorous things on our last voyage, except wearing masks. As usual he put on a whole two pounds. As usual it was gone by the end of the week. Is this grounds for divorce? As for me, I never weigh myself, ever. But I can tell when my skirts are tighter.

• Haha 2

JED - Do hope you can creep out of the den soon, fully refreshed after Covid.

After dinner this evening there was a letter in the cabin from Yoyo and Olesja, Voyage Sales and Loyalty Managers confirming that all our Cunard Diamond Benefits would be restored at the beginning of each sector.  Yippee - three trips to the Verandah now!

This evening's meal in Club Balcony took 2 hours, far too long.  We got there at 6.30pm to catch the 8pm show but missed it by 30 minutes.   The late show was too late for the first evening.

The soup was not warm enough for me but generally the meal was good.  The restaurant was about half full, perhaps par for the first night.

I smiled when a guy, on his first night, clumsily tried to give the Head Waiter running Club Balcony, some dollars in front of us all.  They almost spilled on the floor. It reminded me of a story I have told on here before.  A Maitre d' told me he found it embarrassing to be tipped dollars because he was salaried and well paid.  There were lots of people working in the laundry etc who were poorly paid and they were the ones who really needed it.

For several years we have travelled in the Grills, but it is nice to be back in Club Balcony.  I thought the cabin would be cozy but it is larger than I had remembered.  We had originally booked a Southampton to New York B2B for the end of July.  Then I realised I could change a 2 week voyage for this 3 week voyage for the same price.

The Club Balcony cabin is fine and all 3 cases are stored under the bed.  There is some rust on the balcony but perhaps it is due for a refit soon.  I note in here the Pol Acker doesn't come in an ice bucket, there are no white things to put the glasses on and no metal stopper to save it going flat!  But I don't care!

That's all for now.

• Like 5

RJChatsworth

thanks for the live updates.

Three questions for you.

Are masks being worn everywhere?

MDR tables, do you know if sharing is allowed?

Any guess on occupancy rate?

We will be joining you on the NY to Halifax portion.

Wishing you a great voyage.

Thanks

11 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

The Club Balcony cabin is fine and all 3 cases are stored under the bed.  There is some rust on the balcony but perhaps it is due for a refit soon.  I note in here the Pol Acker doesn't come in an ice bucket, there are no white things to put the glasses on and no metal stopper to save it going flat!  But I don't care!

That's all for now.

All those things they can probably supply. There was no Ice in our fridge, and i asked the cabin staff who found the container in an improbable cupboard and filled it for me. Lots of things that aren't in the cabin (like bars of soap) they will get for you.

Enjoy today.

12 hours ago, olegna said:

RJChatsworth

thanks for the live updates.

Three questions for you.

Are masks being worn everywhere?

MDR tables, do you know if sharing is allowed?

Any guess on occupancy rate?

We will be joining you on the NY to Halifax portion.

Wishing you a great voyage.

Thanks

masks - answered in post #5.

MDR - seem to be sharing.

Numbers seem to be down but haven’t got a figure.  As mentioned previously all deck 8 cabins seem to be out of service.

Sunny skies this morning but now clouding over.  A few small fishing boats about.

Went to Club Balcony restaurant at 9am for breakfast.  No orange juice and awaiting croissants from the bakery.  Took 30 minutes to get poached eggs on toast.  The toast was warm and fresh but the poached eggs were cold and hard.  I am getting a bit exasperated with this restaurant as kitchens next door and few taking breakfast.

In answer to someone saying you can get ice from the cabin steward, I know that.  My comment was about no ice on first arrival with Pol Acker when looking forward to a drink.

Bar soap is obtainable from the cabin lady and was the first thing we asked for.

Soon  be lunch and hope there is an improvement.

Expecting strong gale force winds tonight of 70 knots and seas of 7m (23feet)!  Moderating tomorrow.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention in above.  The queues for the front desk have been round the corner and down the main wide corridor since we embarked yesterday.  Has been like it all morning.  Considering that all paperwork had to be in order to get on yesterday, what can they be talking about?  Few have laptops/iPads with them.  Are they all getting there tips removed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are on board as well, having boarded in Hamburg, and sailing to Brooklyn.  The best experience so far is sitting in the Chart Room before and after dinner.  The early chamber music is lovely and the jazz in the evening is hot.  Service there is super friendly and efficient.

Sad that there are a number of issues to report.  We've tried every trick imaginable, including sitting under a router in Connections, but the premium internet package just barely works, even for simple tasks like email.  Elevators our of order, lots of machines in the fitness center out of service, dryers in the laundry room not functioning.  And things are looking a bit tattered.   Maintenance?

Happy that the embarkation in Southampton went well;  ours in Hamburg may have set a new record for disfunction as just about everyone had to wait a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to check in, many more than 3 hours.  Not a good start.

Nice to be on the sea and we are hoping things improve.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Sad that there are a number of issues to report.  We've tried every trick imaginable, including sitting under a router in Connections, but the premium internet package just barely works, even for simple tasks like email.  

I am also appreciating these live updates from the QM2. I concur with others that I hope things improve. We are joining the ship for the week starting July 1st. 

Given the comment quoted above, I find this piece included in an email I received from Cunard today to be interesting: 

"We’d like to inform you that we have significantly upgraded our satellite internet service and have made some changes to the on board internet packages available. As a Cunard World Club member please be assured you will still get the same value of benefit as before, further details will be available once on board." 

Hope everyone onboard stays safe in the heavy seas. 

3 hours ago, tv24 said:

We are on board as well, having boarded in Hamburg, and sailing to Brooklyn.  The best experience so far is sitting in the Chart Room before and after dinner.  The early chamber music is lovely and the jazz in the evening is hot.  Service there is super friendly and efficient.

Sad that there are a number of issues to report.  We've tried every trick imaginable, including sitting under a router in Connections, but the premium internet package just barely works, even for simple tasks like email.  Elevators our of order, lots of machines in the fitness center out of service, dryers in the laundry room not functioning.  And things are looking a bit tattered.   Maintenance?

Happy that the embarkation in Southampton went well;  ours in Hamburg may have set a new record for disfunction as just about everyone had to wait a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to check in, many more than 3 hours.  Not a good start.

Nice to be on the sea and we are hoping things improve.

Appreciate the updates.  Not sounding too good. 

As we are boarding July 8th for three weeks it's nice to know the state of things. If we make it through with no isues maybe I'll get a tee shirt that says "I survived QM2" 🙂 

2 minutes ago, moses0 said:

Appreciate the updates.  Not sounding too good. 

As we are boarding July 8th for three weeks it's nice to know the state of things. If we make it through with no isues maybe I'll get a tee shirt that says "I survived QM2" 🙂 

Sounds pretty good to me, depending on one's feeling about PA.😀

4 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Sunny skies this morning but now clouding over.  A few small fishing boats about.

Expecting strong gale force winds tonight of 70 knots and seas of 7m (23feet)!  Moderating tomorrow.

Better batten down the hatches then and hope it’s not as bad as predicted.

Thanks for your review so far, interested to hear how you get on. 

We’d thought about doing one of the round trip 4th July cruises a few years back, but with the complexities of cabin and segment choices, it never happened. 😧

The Club Balcony lunch today was very good, soup hot, moules in curry sauce as they should be and service up to scratch.  Do hope we are now back on course!

The queue is still there after lunch!

We are really enjoying being back at sea and on a transatlantic voyage.  It must be three years since the last.  We have been on three voyages since cruising resumed last August but they are not the same as a transatlantic.  I can’t put my finger on the reasons but perhaps more days at sea which we enjoy.

This morning we went to a lecture by Jeffrey Weinberg who has worked for several recent US Presidents.  He was excellent.  Tonight is the first formal evening and the show is ‘Be Our Guest’ with the singers and dancers.  We have seen it previously but I’m looking forward to it again.

We have booked dinner at the Verandah for next Tuesday.  It is $45 per person but if you have the Diamond vouchers $20pp.  Alternative dining at La Piazza is now $25pp.  That seems to have gone up in price somewhat unless I am mistaken.

• Like 3