Live from the Silver Spirit, Venice to Venice seven days.

fudge

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

fudge was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Day 1

So where do we start? Well after a tiring journey from the UK via Paris we finally reached Venice.

We reached Venice around mid-day, got to the baggage reclaim, its always an anxious wait to see if your luggage appears on the belt, thankfully after about 15 minutes the cases popped their heads up.

We collected them, left the baggage hall and was greeted by a SS rep, thankfully she had our names on her list, we waited with four other guests until after about 15 minutes we were shown to a coach which was waiting for us.

Six of us boarded the 52-seater coach and we were driven to the cruise terminal which was about a 20-minute drive. (Not where the ship is)

We unloaded our baggage, SS staff labelled them we left them there.

We then proceeded upstairs to a very large meet and greet hall.

At first it looked like chaos with about over 150 people all writing things down however, once you were called it was pretty straight forward.

The first station we were asked to do a temp check and show proof of your PCR or antigen test.

The next station you had to complete a health form quite long.

The next station was a health desk, the lady checked the form and asked to see our vaccination certificates.

We then joined a long queue to begin registration, the usual thing, give them a credit card photo, Etc. You were then given your wallet to board the ship. This process only took minutes.

We then went outside to a waiting bus which took us to the ship in Farina, there she was sat waiting in all her splendour, we have never sailed her before but have about 100 days on SS.

Again, a long queue, we did not see any pier side testing at all. It took about 10 minutes to board.

Once on board we were given the choice of going to deck 7 for a buffet not full self-service, most people chose this option.

At 4pm prompt we were called to our suite, we are in 527 very nice.

At 17.30 We attended the muster drill, contrary what I have heard you do attend, not on the TV.

All in all, about 2hrs 40 minutes from landing to boarding, apparently, they only started processing 15 minutes before we arrived.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We had a long and tiring start too, including an almost two hour flight delay. Our luggage was the last off the plane for our Silversea group.

We walked to the far side of the car park to our bus.( Have two blisters, one on each foot..ouch) There were about 20 of us. The ‘check in’ seemed to go on for ages. More walking, then onto another bus to Fusina. We arrived shortly before 4:00 pm ‘local time’ The view from our balcony was of containers…not the best. Whilst standing the the balcony, our friends arrived. Good timing! Their day started with a 6:30 am flight….Yawn.

we enjoyed a delicious  dinner on deck. Then an early night.Everyone was very tired.

We are now cruising along the Croatian coast. Looks like a lovely day.

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Now you’re talking!

Has SS brought on FeverTree for their tonic selections yet?

Got off Spirit yesterday. No fever tree on board, just Schweppes.  Not any NZ Sauvignon Blanc either. Fudge and Turnip Eater Hopefully they will have restocked the NZ SB this week if that’s one of your tipples 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Oh! I do hope they have the NZSB on board.we had red yesterday, no Auzzi red,,,,,but a very good Argentinian Malbec 🍷

Just off to brekkie 🍳

Last week they had a really good Aussie Shiraz, hope I didn’t empty the cellar! As a back up try the Sonoma County Cab Sav. (Alexander Valley)

We loved all the outside space especially at Breakfast, a light breakfast outside of the Arts Cafe was our favourite. Super comfy seating. Enjoy your brekkie! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turnip eater said:

We had a long and tiring start too, including an almost two hour flight delay. Our luggage was the last off the plane for our Silversea group.

We walked to the far side of the car park to our bus.( Have two blisters, one on each foot..ouch) There were about 20 of us. The ‘check in’ seemed to go on for ages. More walking, then onto another bus to Fusina. We arrived shortly before 4:00 pm ‘local time’ The view from our balcony was of containers…not the best. Whilst standing the the balcony, our friends arrived. Good timing! Their day started with a 6:30 am flight….Yawn.

we enjoyed a delicious  dinner on deck. Then an early night.Everyone was very tired.

We are now cruising along the Croatian coast. Looks like a lovely day.

I always have to smile when Europeans traveling to another part of Europe for a cruise complain about having a "long and tiring start".  Just add another 13-15 hours to that, (not even counting the run-down feeling from jet lag) and you can imagine what a Californian has to go through on his "start".. I'll take your day getting to a cruise over mine anytime!

You are *so fortunate*  to live so close to so many wonderful ports, and I envy you.

Have a wonderful journey -- and if it doesn't go all that well, remember it's not that hard to come back!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I always have to smile when Europeans traveling to another part of Europe for a cruise complain about having a "long and tiring start".  Just add another 13-15 hours to that, (not even counting the run-down feeling from jet lag) and you can imagine what a Californian has to go through on his "start".. I'll take your day getting to a cruise over mine anytime!

You are *so fortunate*  to live so close to so many wonderful ports, and I envy you.

Have a wonderful journey -- and if it doesn't go all that well, remember it's not that hard to come back!

From Brazil as well, adds more 15 to 18 hours of travelling.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lirio said:

From Brazil as well, adds more 15 to 18 hours of travelling.....

Waiting to hear from the Australians and New Zealanders – who put all of us to shame for long-distance travel!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Waiting to hear from the Australians and New Zealanders – who put all of us to shame for long-distance travel!

43 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Cue Dr. Ron, Rojann, or Turtle…

That's why I'm not getting into 'can you top this?' – I live near NYC, which in many ways is an ideal nexus for travel in any direction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Try flying from Perth Western Australia, apparently the most isolated capital city in the world. I have just received this week my flights from Perth to Miami in 2023. Was hoping to travel West but as included in our cruise we have to go East. I haven't added it up yet but the three flights and layover time look scary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 2

First of all, apologies for the late report, Mr Fudge took ill at 4am, really poorly, spent all day confined to his bed, picked up a really nasty virus, very sore throat aching all over. Cut a long story short after much drug taking, feeling a lot better today (Sunday)

So where was I?

We had our evening meal in the La Terrazza Mr Fudge has the pan-fried king prawns Mrs Fudge has the risotto, both meals were fine, mine could have been a bit hotter. The crew were very attentive and smiling under their masks.

It’s a good job we were no over the other side of the room a group of young men cam in wearing sailor’s outfits they were really boisterous.

After a nightcap in the observation bar, we retired. We did set sail at 7pm landing in Croatia at 07.00. We had a excursion booked but MR was no well enough to go. On top of which we missed the formal night, not a good start to the cruise.

At 5pm we set sail for Hvar Croatia, arriving at 07.00. lovely day 27 degrees. Finally managed to leave our suite and had a light breakfast, we may take the tender later into town.

Masks: All the crew wear masks, virtually none or at the most 5 percent of passengers not wearing masks anywhere, we do and will continue to do so, you can only look after yourself.

Internet:  Finding it very poor at present, very intermittent indeed.

• Thanks 2

On 6/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, fudge said:

We then proceeded upstairs to a very large meet and greet hall.

At first it looked like chaos with about over 150 people all writing things down however, once you were called it was pretty straight forward.

The first station we were asked to do a temp check and show proof of your PCR or antigen test.

The next station you had to complete a health form quite long.

The next station was a health desk, the lady checked the form and asked to see our vaccination certificates.

We then joined a long queue to begin registration, the usual thing, give them a credit card photo, Etc. You were then given your wallet to board the ship. This process only took minutes.

We then went outside to a waiting bus which took us to the ship in Farina, there she was sat waiting in all her splendour, we have never sailed her before but have about 100 days on SS.

Again, a long queue, we did not see any pier side testing at all. It took about 10 minutes to board.

Fudge -

Sorry to keep asking this - but I need to be very, very clear, as I'm doing it myself independently, not an SS transfer - was the check in done at the main Marittima Cruise Terminal? Where the big ships docked before they were banned?

I hope precise detail will come in my pre-cruise docs but as everyone here says, they will likely come at the last minute. I'd like to get as many ducks as I can in a row so I only have to worry about getting an antigen test in Venice.

Sorry Mr Fudge is not so well, hope it's nothing nasty and that he is on the mend.

Happy Sails!

29 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Fudge -

Sorry to keep asking this - but I need to be very, very clear, as I'm doing it myself independently, not an SS transfer - was the check in done at the main Marittima Cruise Terminal? Where the big ships docked before they were banned?

I hope precise detail will come in my pre-cruise docs but as everyone here says, they will likely come at the last minute. I'd like to get as many ducks as I can in a row so I only have to worry about getting an antigen test in Venice.

Sorry Mr Fudge is not so well, hope it's nothing nasty and that he is on the mend.

Happy Sails!

I have just confirmed with reception, yes that was the old sailing cruise terminal, thank you I am now well on the mend.

22 hours ago, fudge said:

Day 2

First of all, apologies for the late report, Mr Fudge took ill at 4am, really poorly, spent all day confined to his bed, picked up a really nasty virus, very sore throat aching all over. Cut a long story short after much drug taking, feeling a lot better today (Sunday)

So where was I?

We had our evening meal in the La Terrazza Mr Fudge has the pan-fried king prawns Mrs Fudge has the risotto, both meals were fine, mine could have been a bit hotter. The crew were very attentive and smiling under their masks.

It’s a good job we were no over the other side of the room a group of young men cam in wearing sailor’s outfits they were really boisterous.

After a nightcap in the observation bar, we retired. We did set sail at 7pm landing in Croatia at 07.00. We had a excursion booked but MR was no well enough to go. On top of which we missed the formal night, not a good start to the cruise.

At 5pm we set sail for Hvar Croatia, arriving at 07.00. lovely day 27 degrees. Finally managed to leave our suite and had a light breakfast, we may take the tender later into town.

Masks: All the crew wear masks, virtually none or at the most 5 percent of passengers not wearing masks anywhere, we do and will continue to do so, you can only look after yourself.

Internet:  Finding it very poor at present, very intermittent indeed.

Considering Fudge had a nasty virus with very sore throat and aching all over at 4 AM, even if it is not Covid (I assumed you checked for it when the throat pain hit) it might not havve been the safest move to head out into public dining rooms and bars or take a crowded tender.  He got sick in the middle of the night on day 1, so might be infectious to others a few days more,  The crew wear masks which may or may not protect them , but pax without masks sitting closely to you do not and could  infect youn or other

• Like 1