Do you know any adult that got an unvaccinated exemption?

exm

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

My understanding is that many people who claim religious reasons for not being vaccinated base that on the fact that tissue from aborted fetuses is used in their production.  I'm not making a political statement one way or the other about it - just that it seems to be the reason for religious exemptions and not some sort of crazy "they are coming for us" type ideas. 

Answer from infectious disease expert and practicing Catholic James Lawler, MD 

No, the COVID-19 vaccines do not contain any aborted fetal cells. However, fetal cell lines – cells grown in a laboratory based on aborted fetal cells collected generations ago – were used in testing during research and development of the mRNA vaccines, and during production of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

Before we dig into the science, I’d like to have a word 

It is true that decades ago, scientists decided to use fetal tissue to start the cell lines we use to test drugs today. However, the description of ongoing modern fetal tissue harvesting to create vaccines is dishonest sensationalism.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think people have given the requirements, but I would say that the letter should probably have to include why he thinks his faith can't get him the vaccine, when he stopped getting all vaccines/OTC medicines that fall under the same reason, and basically, why it is so important for him immortal soul to not get the vaccine. I would recommend that he goes more in depth than talking points.

Disclaimer: I am catholic, and am trying not to also say "and why he thinks Vatican 2 didn't happen and why he doesn't have to listen to the pope" but I understand you're just trying to help him! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, exm said:

Thanks for the replies. 

There's another cruise line on CC where passengers have found that religious exemptions are better approved out of California if that helps. A couple has cruised 2x already this year with that exemption out of Long Beach, CA.

6 hours ago, Marie51 said:

We are booked on a cruise for the end of August. My granddaughter cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons and we submitted all the necessary paperwork including a letter from her doctor at the end of April and still have not heard anything yet. Getting frustrated at this point as the cruise is two months away and we don’t know if we’re going or not.

We were supposed to sail on Allure on July 3rd. We found out yesterday we were denied sailing. (9 days from sailing) We requested a medical exemption for our daughter who just turned 12 and has sailed since restart when she was 11. It was signed by multiple doctors and was a legitimate medical reason. In the end they did not even consider our request. We are Diamond level and were booked in suites. These were rebooked cruises because we were originally supposed to go to Alaska this summer. We got approval from Canada but RC said we could get an answer in as little as 7 days prior to sailing and we had a land tour 9 days before the start of our cruise. We had to cancel and they suggested we could get an answer in as little as 30 days prior to sailing if we changed to Florida sailings. So we booked 2 sailings in July. We kept calling and asked for updates or an answer every time it was “soon”. 30 days out they said we will get an answer before 14 days to sail. 13 days (Monday) to sail I called and they said you will get an answer in 48 hours. I called yesterday (Friday) and after 2 hours on the phone with them they told us no. Later on they sent the following email. 

Thank you for your request for an accommodation to our vaccination requirement for sailing.  We understand that you have important reasons for not being vaccinated the needs of every guest are important to us.   

Currently, Royal Caribbean is not able to consider accommodation requests for your sailing due to operational needs.  

We understand that this is disappointing news. There are many sailings available under which we could review an accommodation and we hope you’ll consider moving your sailing to a later date. 

If moving your sailing doesn’t work for you, you are entitled to a full refund due to the circumstances of this denial.  You can request that refund by calling 866-562-7625. 

For additional information regarding your options, please review the guidance found in our Healthy Sail Center FAQ: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/who-should-i-contact-if-a-vaccine-is-contraindicated 

Thank you again for choosing Royal Caribbean. 

Sincerely,  

Healthy Return to Service Accommodations Team  
Royal Caribbean International | Celebrity Cruises  
1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132 USA 
Vaxaccommodations@rccl.com

So don’t hold your breath it is highly unlikely you will get approved. They left us with basically one week and the busiest week of summer to try and find something else to do. They were very clear that both sailings we booked exemptions were available. This email clearly shows otherwise. We are waiting to hear on our 2nd sailing but know we will be denied. Waiting until the last minute to tell their customers they are denied is completely unacceptable. It will be years or longer before I step foot on another RC ship if this is how they are going to treat us. Now I have to try and get all of our money back. If 2020 is any indication it will arrive just in time for Christmas. The accommodations department is by far the most incompetent I have ever dealt with. Depending on who we talked to the information we had to submit changed. For example did we have to submit multiple requests for 2 sailings in the same month? They even told us the wrong email address the first time and asked us to resubmit. We got so frustrated we asked to speak with a supervisor just so we could get a clear answer on what had to be submitted. We were told by “Muroney” that was not possible. He had no superior, they did not take messages, and did not return phone calls… It is such a mess they have made and non of it is necessary.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Pittsflyer said:

We were supposed to sail on Allure on July 3rd. We found out yesterday we were denied sailing. (9 days from sailing) We requested a medical exemption for our daughter who just turned 12 and has sailed since restart when she was 11. It was signed by multiple doctors and was a legitimate medical reason. In the end they did not even consider our request. We are Diamond level and were booked in suites. These were rebooked cruises because we were originally supposed to go to Alaska this summer. We got approval from Canada but RC said we could get an answer in as little as 7 days prior to sailing and we had a land tour 9 days before the start of our cruise. We had to cancel and they suggested we could get an answer in as little as 30 days prior to sailing if we changed to Florida sailings. So we booked 2 sailings in July. We kept calling and asked for updates or an answer every time it was “soon”. 30 days out they said we will get an answer before 14 days to sail. 13 days (Monday) to sail I called and they said you will get an answer in 48 hours. I called yesterday (Friday) and after 2 hours on the phone with them they told us no. Later on they sent the following email. 

Thank you for your request for an accommodation to our vaccination requirement for sailing.  We understand that you have important reasons for not being vaccinated the needs of every guest are important to us.   

Currently, Royal Caribbean is not able to consider accommodation requests for your sailing due to operational needs.  

We understand that this is disappointing news. There are many sailings available under which we could review an accommodation and we hope you’ll consider moving your sailing to a later date. 

If moving your sailing doesn’t work for you, you are entitled to a full refund due to the circumstances of this denial.  You can request that refund by calling 866-562-7625. 

For additional information regarding your options, please review the guidance found in our Healthy Sail Center FAQ: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/who-should-i-contact-if-a-vaccine-is-contraindicated 

Sincerely,  

So don’t hold your breath it is highly unlikely you will get approved. They left us with basically one week and the busiest week of summer to try and find something else to do. They were very clear that both sailings we booked exemptions were available. This email clearly shows otherwise. We are waiting to hear on our 2nd sailing but know we will be denied. Waiting until the last minute to tell their customers they are denied is completely unacceptable. It will be years or longer before I step foot on another RC ship if this is how they are going to treat us. Now I have to try and get all of our money back. If 2020 is any indication it will arrive just in time for Christmas. The accommodations department is by far the most incompetent I have ever dealt with. Depending on who we talked to the information we had to submit changed. For example did we have to submit multiple requests for 2 sailings in the same month? They even told us the wrong email address the first time and asked us to resubmit. We got so frustrated we asked to speak with a supervisor just so we could get a clear answer on what had to be submitted. We were told by “Muroney” that was not possible. He had no superior, they did not take messages, and did not return phone calls… It is such a mess they have made and non of it is necessary.

Sorry this has happened to you and your family.  Positive is you will get a full refund! I recently canceled a B2B where I had hefty deposits and I received my refund for both in just under two weeks.  Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

My understanding is that many people who claim religious reasons for not being vaccinated base that on the fact that tissue from aborted fetuses is used in their production.  I'm not making a political statement one way or the other about it - just that it seems to be the reason for religious exemptions and not some sort of crazy "they are coming for us" type ideas. 

Agree, well said. Personally known couple Dozen Cruisers that received Medical or Religious Exemptions on Royal Cruises. There was also several on Cruise Critic that received exemptions and talked about it on here 6+ Months ago. So yes it happens. Last people I traveled with was in April and was for Medical

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, exm said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm reading a lot about the Pope, but my uncle (and again, not me) is part of the Catholic religion that doesn't recognize the modern Catholic religion. He's going to Catholic churches where they preach in Latin (don't shoot the messenger!).

Your uncle is part of a Catholic religion that doesn’t recognize the Pope (who preaches in Latin as well)?  The Papacy has existed since St. Peter.  What part of the Catholic religion is he defining as “modern?”  

• Like 2

There is a subset of Catholics who reject Vatican II and pretty much every change since (the “modern” church). They believe, among other things, that the Mass should only be celebrated in the original Latin.  And the Pope does not preach in Latin unless he is speaking from the Seat of Peter.  When he preaches, he usually does so in the language of wherever he is.  

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pittsflyer said:

Sincerely,  

Thanks for letting me know. It doesn’t sound too hopeful for us at this point. I agree with you about the special-needs department. Nobody there has the right information or the information we are given changes from day to day depending on who you talk to. It’s just a big mess. The unfortunate part of this is that we will probably find out at the last minute when it’s too late to find another vacation. 

3 hours ago, Pittsflyer said:

Sincerely,  

Holy cow!  What a nightmare to have to endure.  I don't know anything about the where and why of medical exemptions, but the process shouldn't be this tough.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pittsflyer said:

We were supposed to sail on Allure on July 3rd. We found out yesterday we were denied sailing. (9 days from sailing) We requested a medical exemption for our daughter who just turned 12 and has sailed since restart when she was 11.

Most likely they already hit the 'allowance' for unvaccinated passengers since only 5 or 10% can sail unvaccinated on any cruise. I don't know why they had to wait so long to notify you, that's terrible to wait until less than two weeks before the cruise. They should have known the status of the unvaccinated passengers at least two months prior to the sailing. Very sorry that happened to you and your family. 

• Like 2

@exm Your wife’s uncle can apply for a religious exemption. Most likely,considering RCL guidelines and the limit of  10% getting exemptions,he will be denied boarding.

Then, he is left with a choice,either not cruise with you and your wife or get vaccinated.

Those who are seeking to cruise with a medical or religious exemption should consider Carnival.  They are not requiring any kind of paperwork or supporting documentation.  You simply request an exemption and they will let you cruise if they can accommodate you.  They still must comply with the 90% vax requirement so it's pretty much first come, first served with exemptions.  Also, you must pay for your cruise in full and THEN they decide whether you can cruise or not.  At least they aren't requiring all that nonsense paperwork which is apparently entirely useless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

He will have absolutely no ground to defend his beliefs based on his Catholic faith, the Pope told everyone to get it.

The religious exemption is not solely based on a religious group's doctrine. You can still have a strong religious belief that God is telling you not to get the vaccine. Doesn't apply to me, but can still be used as a viable religious exemption.

• Like 4

It's very slim, as most religions will actually encourage getting the vaccine.  He can try contacting RC, but I doubt his request will be honored.  He has to understand that it may not be a choice RC makes either: the CDC may require it, and even if they don't some countries will not let you into the country without the vaccine.  If the ship can't dock there, they won't visit there.

BTW, this Catholic has gotten the vaccine and didn't waste any time doing so.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pittsflyer said:

Sincerely,  

So sorry this happened to you, it must be so frustrating to plan a trip and then have it canceled at the last minute.

This is pure conjecture from some coworkers that tried for an exemption and what they claim they were told about the late notice, so take it with a grain of salt. But if true, it does make sense.

Since RCL opted into the CDC's Covid Program for Cruise Ships in late February, the cruise ships cannot go over 10% unvaccinated. They claim they were told that since the children under 12 get priority on the 10% limit of unvaxxed (don't have to file for exemptions,) the ship has to wait until the last minute to assess the #of bookings on the ship and what number the 10% may be.  They also don't want to deny families with children booking, so they won't give up any of the 10% spots to medical/religious exemptions until the last minute.

Apparently they were told that a few weeks before sailing, they have a pretty good idea of how many open exemption spots they have after the children have claimed their spots. Then they start filling with medical exemptions. IF there are still spots left after the medical exemptions are filled then they fill with religious exemptions.

If this is true, you may have better luck booking a cruise when school is in session so there are not many children.  A cruise over the summer, particularly a holiday weekend, is bound to have the maximum number of children vying for those 10% unvaxxed spots.  It is not surprising that there weren't any spots open for a July 4th weekend for anything other than age exemptions.

Edited by cured
  • Like 5

Thanks all for the replies.

@Pittsflyer: so sorry to hear about your experience and this puts things in perspective. My daughter is turning 12 in February, and the cruise I'm talking about is in January. Hopefully by 2023 the mandates are gone, otherwise no more cruising for us.

Some other points:

- Other cruise lines won't work since I have 3 unvaccinated children. Royal is the only one (I believe) who allows unvaccinated children. Our entire family had Covid in January (no one got really sick), so I don't feel there's a need to vaccinate my kids. They already have antibodies, plus the current vaccine really doesn't help against Omicron (unless you have a serious health condition). Not starting a vaccine war here, just letting people know where we stand.

- My uncle indeed doesn't believe in Vatican II as @poocher described so well above. Needless to say, we don't talk a lot of religion when he comes around. I'm a non-practicing Catholic myself. 

- It seems that since RC allows non-vaccinated children, they are very strict with adults. I've heard that other cruise lines like Carnival are very flexible with providing the exemption. But they don't allow my unvaccinated children.

What a mess. Thanks CDC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exm said:

- Other cruise lines won't work since I have 3 unvaccinated children. Royal is the only one (I believe) who allows unvaccinated children.

Carnival, NCL, Princess, MSC, Celebrity and others allow unvaccinated children. Age restrictions and policies do differ, but Carnival and NCL are both 12 and under are eligible to sail without vaccines, but all cruise lines are limiting the number of them who can sail per the CDC guidelines. 

14 hours ago, Pittsflyer said:

Sincerely,  

The process seems quite cumbersome and  would be better if you could know of a denial more quickly than just shortly before sale date. 

I do take exception to a few of your comments.  You mentioned you were diamond and sailed in a suite.   Your Crown and Anchor status with Royal Caribbean or your cabin accommodations should have no bearing on a  medical exemption decision.  It would be sad if these two areas swayed a decision in any way. That would give an unfair advantage to many passengers. 

Best wishes to your family and I hope that you will be able to eventually take your vacation. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cured said:

Since RCL opted into the CDC's Covid Program for Cruise Ships in late February, the cruise ships cannot go over 10% unvaccinated. They claim they were told that since the children under 12 get priority on the 10% limit of unvaxxed (don't have to file for exemptions,) the ship has to wait until the last minute to assess the #of bookings on the ship and what number the 10% may be.  They also don't want to deny families with children booking, so they won't give up any of the 10% spots to medical/religious exemptions until the last minute.

Apparently they were told that a few weeks before sailing, they have a pretty good idea of how many open exemption spots they have after the children have claimed their spots. Then they start filling with medical exemptions. IF there are still spots left after the medical exemptions are filled then they fill with religious exemptions.

If this is true, you may have better luck booking a cruise when school is in session so there are not many children.  A cruise over the summer, particularly a holiday weekend, is bound to have the maximum number of children vying for those 10% unvaxxed spots.  It is not surprising that there weren't any spots open for a July 4th weekend for anything other than age exemptions.

Thanks for the great explanation.  

We had someone traveling in our party who had an approved RA earlier in the year on a RCI cruise from Florida.  The cruise did not go to any ports requiring cruise passengers to have the shot.  Something came up, and they cancelled their reservation.  Plans changed again, and they ended up being able to go on the cruise (or so they thought).   They made a new reservation for the same cruise, paid in full, and started the RA process all over again (because it was a new reservation).   RCI did not approve their RA request for their new reservation.  The denial had everything to do with staying under the 10% threshold as they were previously approved before others got their requests in with their first reservation, but were really late in the RA process on the second reservation.

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Carnival, NCL, Princess, MSC, Celebrity and others allow unvaccinated children. Age restrictions and policies do differ, but Carnival and NCL are both 12 and under are eligible to sail without vaccines, but all cruise lines are limiting the number of them who can sail per the CDC guidelines. 

Carnival Cruise Line

Unvaccinated kids under five are permitted to sail without needing to apply for an exemption from Carnival.

Celebrity Cruises

For voyages based in the U.S., as well as cruises to Canada and Bermuda, passengers 12 and older must be vaccinated, while kids 11 and under are not required to have the vaccine to sail.

MSC Cruises

Through April 22, all kids 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to sail. Starting April 23, all kids 5 and older must be fully vaccinated. Unvaccinated kids under these ages are allowed to sail.

So Carnival and MSC it's 5 and up required to be vaccinated, Celebrity is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Group so that makes sense. My kids are 6, 8, 11 so that's that for Carnival and MSC.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, exm said:

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but every parent will decide the best course of action for their child. Since my children already had Covid and are healthy, a vaccination really doesn't provide any benefits (and yes, there are risk attached to getting the vaccine also - small, but it's there).

Not sarcastic since she doesn’t believe in the vaccine at all.

• Like 4