We hit something.

jskinsd

On the Sun.  Entering Hubbard glacier yesterday in heavy fog I think we hit iceberg.  Woke up this morning entering Icy Strait at a snail's pace.  Should be in Skagway now.  Just creeping along towards Juneau.  Ship to arrive around 5pm to send divers to look at damage.  Who knows what journey lies ahead.✌️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jskinsd said:

On the Sun.  Entering Hubbard glacier yesterday in heavy fog I think we hit iceberg.  Woke up this morning entering Icy Strait at a snail's pace.  Should be in Skagway now.  Just creeping along towards Juneau.  Ship to arrive around 5pm to send divers to look at damage.  Who knows what journey lies ahead.✌️

Spending time at Hubbard Glacier on the Sun was one of our favorite times.

But it was nice an sunny and nothing untoward happened.

he Captain did surprise us by taking the "narrow" channel side of a little island on the way out, rather than the same "wide channel" side we had arrived through.  At first, we thought it was a feint, and he'd soon turn the ship slightly, but noooo.

It was *really* close, and quite interesting.  We wouldn't have been surprised if we had "hit something"! 😠

But you did!  How did they announce it?

I hope it's okay, obviously.

Please keep us posted.

We have such fond memories of that trip.  (We took it northbound, so there was a longer sail after leaving Hubbard.  I wonder what they'd have done in that case.)

GC

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Just an option but I think it doesn't look good.

Doesn't sound good. Reduced speeds would indicate that they may have some problem (sea water where it's not suppose to be, propulsion problems, etc). When the Escape had hull damage earlier this year, everyone ended flying home. 

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Growler- an iceberg the side of a piano or truck (I had to look that one up). 

thanks for reporting 🙂

It was bigger than a truck.  I saw it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Juneau would be better equipped to inspect the ship. Juneau would also be better able to handle air charters if they evacuate the ship. 

At least any possible need to "evacuate" the ship is so much easier in Juneau than it would have been had the "hit" been worse and there was a need to do so near Hubbard!

I really don't want to think about that... 

Would it actually be called an "evacuation" if docked in Juneau, vs an early disembarking?

GC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

At least any possible need to "evacuate" the ship is so much easier in Juneau than it would have been had the "hit" been worse and there was a need to do so near Hubbard!

I really don't want to think about that... 

Would it actually be called an "evacuation" if docked in Juneau, vs an early disembarking?

GC

Cancellation of cruise? NCL just went through this with the Escape (which damaged her hull running aground in the Dominican Republic). Passengers on the Escape were "disembarked" in the Dominican Republic, which was kind of a mess. And a mess for people scheduled to sail on her over the next few weeks (like me) - we were cancelled a few days before departure. 

10 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Seems like Norwegian is getting too many breaks.... especially in the hull.

I was going to give this post a Ha Ha, and it is funny, but it is really not funny if you catch my drift (pun not intended).

Or having noticed that the quoted poster is from the UK, maybe this is the dry British humor (humour) I read about in a thread in another cc forum. 🤣

Edited by ontheweb
added last paragraph

Nothing to report.  Received Freestyle Daily for today and it seems like we are back on schedule.  Schedule to leave Juneau at 2.  Maybe only little damage done.  But who knows. ✌️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jskinsd said:

Nothing to report.  Received Freestyle Daily for today and it seems like we are back on schedule.  Schedule to leave Juneau at 2.  Maybe only little damage done.  But who knows. ✌️

Let us hope you are correct and the damage, if any, is minimal.

18 hours ago, jskinsd said:

I bet you reviewed that muster briefing again.  I would.😁😁

• Haha 1