We hit something.

jskinsd

@njhorseman

On marinetraffic.com the ship's next port is listed as Victoria. They need to stop there to satisfy the PVSA's foreign port requirement.

I doubt if there is a time requirement in the PVSA so I imagine it will a very short visit to Victoria just to cover the legal requirement with no chance of passenger going ashore.

21 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@njhorseman

On marinetraffic.com the ship's next port is listed as Victoria. They need to stop there to satisfy the PVSA's foreign port requirement.

I doubt if there is a time requirement in the PVSA so I imagine it will a very short visit to Victoria just to cover the legal requirement with no chance of passenger going ashore.

The regulations do require them to make a an actual port call where passengers can disembark. So-called technical calls were disallowed some years ago. Of course it's possible that US CBP will grant an exception to the requirement if the ship has significant damage that needs to be repaired.

Note: Marinetraffic.com has her current speed as 16.3 knots so perhaps there's not much of a problem.

Edited by njhorseman

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I guess that the "impeller" is the "propeller", but even with only one working, and the other locked (an advantage of shafted propellers over azipods) to prevent a damaged prop from turning in the wake, Sun should make 14-16 knots.  If there was a "breach", I would have suspected a longer time in port, both to make it watertight again, and to have a surveyor approve sailing onward.  Not saying it wasn't, but it doesn't smell like one to me.

Hi Chen

in your experience if it is a prop issue and needs some replacement fins you talk about, how long of a job is that?  I ask because we are scheduled to sail on the Sun 7/5.

appreciate your insight.

30 minutes ago, tgloersen said:

Hi Chen

in your experience if it is a prop issue and needs some replacement fins you talk about, how long of a job is that?  I ask because we are scheduled to sail on the Sun 7/5.

appreciate your insight.

Well, the Sun carries a set of prop blades on the bow, so if they can mobilize the cranes and divers, I would say 36-48 hours to replace a set of blades.

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Note: Marinetraffic.com has her current speed as 16.3 knots so perhaps there's not much of a problem.

As noted above, she should be able to make that speed on one shaft, so there may be damage to one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Even under mechanical failure. Sometimes special exceptions made.

5 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

I guess you all are right about Victoria and the Captain wrong according to letter✌️IMG_20220627_164557375.thumb.jpg.ec733344e28506021f2e048b6b3667be.jpg

Thanks for posting that. In June 2018 we were supposed to stop in Victoria on a HAL cruise and it was too windy to dock so we just anchored out in the bay for a bit and then headed back to Seattle. Never got off or tendered at all. I think they do make exceptions, especially for your situation!

@jskinsd

Thank you.   I was really interested to see what they would offer you so I could compare with what we were given following the  "similar" circumstances on the Spirit in March 2020  when we went from Muscat to Cape Town with no port stops.

I think we did so well that they changed the offer type.   We received a 75% DISCOUNT on a future cruise and, like many others, we booked a SUITE on a LONG cruise which made the cost what we would have paid for an INSIDE.   I reckon that that offer cost them upwards of USD4M in total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Even under mechanical failure. Sometimes special exceptions made.

My next sentence after the one you quoted was "Of course it's possible that US CBP will grant an exception to the requirement if the ship has significant damage that needs to be repaired."

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What is that other ship in the port at Juneau, with the name that appears to be or include 
"Alaska" across the front?

GC

As others said, Koningsdam. (we were just on it a few weeks ago).

DSCN0299.JPG

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

My next sentence after the one you quoted was "Of course it's possible that US CBP will grant an exception to the requirement if the ship has significant damage that needs to be repaired."

Sorry.  I missed the next sentence because I didn't see it.✌️

2 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Sorry.  I missed the next sentence because I didn't see it.✌️

I don't recall precisely, but I may have added that to the original post and if you quoted it almost immediately after i posted my edit may not have hit the board yet.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I don't recall precisely, but I may have added that to the original post and if you quoted it almost immediately after i posted my edit may not have hit the board yet.

Me too.  Internet on the ship inconsistent ✌️

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The regulations do require them to make a an actual port call where passengers can disembark. So-called technical calls were disallowed some years ago. Of course it's possible that US CBP will grant an exception to the requirement if the ship has significant damage that needs to be repaired.

Just saw this about the Carnival Splendor; don't know the validity.

image.png.fdb1bc5d6348c061492566e26e64942a.png 

5 hours ago, jskinsd said:

I guess you all are right about Victoria and the Captain wrong according to letter✌️IMG_20220627_164557375.thumb.jpg.ec733344e28506021f2e048b6b3667be.jpg

I have friends on the same sailing as you, and I was dying if curiosity what the compensation was going to be. Thanks for posting this. I might feel differently if I was on board but from the outside, refund and 100% FCC is a darn good lemonade from the lemons of the hit. I've missed port calls and got nothing for it! Keep your chin up! Thanks for starting a thread, too. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shel71 said:

Not sure how that bodes for those on cruises coming up. 😞

Unsurprisingly, Thu 30 June (5 nights) now seems to be off sale (judging by the NCL website - although I can only see the UK version).

But Tue 5 July (9 nights) is still on sale.

5 hours ago, Gig103 said:

I have friends on the same sailing as you, and I was dying if curiosity what the compensation was going to be. Thanks for posting this. I might feel differently if I was on board but from the outside, refund and 100% FCC is a darn good lemonade from the lemons of the hit. I've missed port calls and got nothing for it! Keep your chin up! Thanks for starting a thread, too. 

Yeah, give me a nice partial cruise, a refund, and a future free cruise.  What's not to like?

• Like 8

Well, we were to be on the Sun sailing on June 30 from Seattle.  We awoke this morning to an email letting us know that the cruise has been cancelled.  We very much appreciate the updates from this thread, which let us anticipate that this might happen.

The letter says we will get a refund (minus cruise protection fee) as well as a credit of 50% of the voyage fare, and airline change fees up to $300 pp.

Very disappointing, but so it goes.  

• Like 1