Excursion with unrelated minor

Bubbletubs

I'm having trouble finding an answer to this question. I can find plenty of information on taking a friend's/family member's child on a cruise but this is different. We are cruising with friends and might like to take their 17 year old on a shore excursion with us, while his parents stay on board. (Holland America). We might also want to let our 16 year old daughter go on an excursion with them. Can they just get off the ship as long as an adult is present and is with them? In the past we have sometimes been asked if our daughter is with us when getting off the ship, but no proof required. This last cruise (maybe because she's older), no one even questioned us, but of course we share the same last name so they might have just assumed it was OK. Any experience with this?

Thanks!

I think you need to ask this on the board here for the cruise line you are sailing.  I believe there is an age where they can leave the ship without and adult, but I don’t know what it is, or if it differs by ship.  I think with younger children you can designate others in your group who can take the child off the ship.  EM

I agree that this is a question for the specific cruise line, but they aren't checking relationship when people are going ashore, not that I've seen or experienced. If it isn't obvious that a child is with an adult they might ask but the requirement that I've experienced is only that a child under a certain age has to go ashore with an adult.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It totally depends if you are doing ship excursions or independent ones.  We never or rarely use ship excursions.  We have taken our daughters' friends with us many times.  We've been on islands in Eastern and Western Caribbean.  We have never once had anyone ask if the friends were our children.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Unless there is an age limit and it would be less than 16, no one cares who is with who

I've found they don't care and don't check for kids under 16 either.

My 13yo traveled with my parents and siblings last year to Alaska, different last name. We got a notarized letter and everything. Nobody questioned a thing, was never asked for verification. My parents have also taken my younger sons off ship and never been questioned. Again, different last name.

Now, checking them in/out kids club is a different matter!