Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I have any appt Saturday with my Healthcare provider for my travel test.  I wonder if I will have to pay for that.  If it has to do with Federal Funding I'm guessing it's not just Walgreens that will be charging

my gp says there is a small co payment to test, it's not free or I would have done it with him the last time.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks. I booked a mock appointment, just didn't hit submit at the end.

Obviously please share how it went later. Thanks for the info!

I am not actually getting a test, just “testing” the system.

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Not all tests at Walgreens or CVS are for travel.  Do they charge less for non-travel?  If someone needs a negative test to return to work, is that person charged $129?  If different, don't tell them you need it for travel.

I was asked if the test was for travel or employment.  One question, I said yes but I don’t know how it knows to which I am answering yes.

For my entire life until the last two years, if you were sick you went to the doctor, and they administered the test, or ordered the test.  I firmly believe the nonsense of getting a test for free because you want to travel is a waste of taxpayer money.  Travel is a luxury, and the test is part of the cost of traveling.  Now, I'm not saying I did not get free tests in the past, because it is available, just saying, it should not be the case.  Also, you don't need a test to travel now except for a cruise.  

Testing is like port charges, taxes and tips.  It is part of the trip.  

Hopefully soon it will be gone but that would require more small countries to stop it.

• Like 16

Our local county runs a very large free standing testing site at a local park. They can do over 275 rapid PCR tests each day. Recently they added a note to the booking site saying due to lack of federal funding they no longer accept the uninsured for testing. You must provide insurance and ID for testing. I noticed on my insurance billing site that they billed my healthcare company $300 for each test. No cost to us, and no impact on deductible, just cost the company a lot of money. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, poocher said:

I am not actually getting a test, just “testing” the system.

Ah, OK, well thanks for being the guinea pig. As I said, I did the same thing, I just didn't hit submit at the end.

Don't tell them it's for travel only.  Don't even mention travel.  Of course they are going to charge you.  Most of us check the box that you have been around folks in high transmission area, and you have a symptom such as cough and maybe a little diarrhea.  That will get you a free test. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Our local county runs a very large free standing testing site at a local park. They can do over 275 rapid PCR tests each day. Recently they added a note to the booking site saying due to lack of federal funding they no longer accept the uninsured for testing. You must provide insurance and ID for testing. I noticed on my insurance billing site that they billed my healthcare company $300 for each test. No cost to us, and no impact on deductible, just cost the company a lot of money. 

What the provider charges, and what insurance pays them are two very different numbers😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Don't tell them it's for travel only.  Don't even mention travel.  Of course they are going to charge you.  Most of us check the box that you have been around folks in high transmission area, and you have a symptom such as cough and maybe a little diarrhea.  That will get you a free test. 

I've always answered for travel, no symptoms and have never neen charged.

Guess I'm not part of 'most of us'

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We never paid either but I just did a mock scheduling and was also told $129.

Went back and changed answers, said I have a cough but still needed for travel then no message about charge appeared.

Guess walgreens changed their policy today.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Just went to check availability for covid tests for this weekend and this banner comes up on the Walgreens website.  When I check that the test is for travel the cost will be $128.99

Costs may now apply

Due to recent changes with federal testing (or federal eligibility criteria), if you don't meet medical necessity guidelines, payment may be due at the time of your appointment. You may save your receipt to submit to your insurance for potential reimbursement.

I think this has always been the case.  It was a question when I sailed in May.  I said it was not for travel and did not get charged. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

I think this has always been the case.  It was a question when I sailed in May.  I said it was not for travel and did not get charged. 

No, it's new. I didn't even have to enter my insurance info in May but now you do.

CVS has always had something similar.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Me too!!  And I'm sure all those that have a "cough" when scheduling their test will answer yes to that question on the pre boarding health questionairre 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

No I have always answered the question that I needed it for travel and had no symptoms and there was never a charge  It's new  must start in July

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I have always answered honestly and there was never going to be a charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Insurance companies started charging in April for anything other than being sick. Travel, work, etc. 

Walgreens remained free and never even asked for insurance until this change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Walgreens remained free and never even asked for insurance until this change.

Oh wow, that is great. My drop in doctor started charging in March, when they shouldn't and I got my money back but it was official in April. Hoping they drop it before my August cruise as I will probably have to get the home ones to save money.

32 minutes ago, TimeToGetNauti said:

Walgreens never charged based on answers to questions until today. CVS has had this policy for a bit but Walgreens never charged based on answers

• Like 3