Walgreens starting to charge for Travel COVID tests

26 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

We have been doing the emed, which has been less stressful for us.  But Walgrees has always be a viable backup.  Glad to hear that Medicare picked up the cost of the test.  

Hope you family were all able to bock tests.  

Do you do the test by yourself or do you have a partner to help you?

24 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:
12 hours ago, Mommabo said:

So this site uses the kits (orange box) that we received from the government?

You can use any legit test with them, not just the orange iHealth test. When you sign up there are about 8 tests to choose from or you can select "other" and type the name of your test.

Edited by OCSC Mike

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

A number of people are saying Royal needs to cancel the test requirement.  Isn't that requirement from the CDC?  Hasn't Royal (and other lines) petitioned the CDC to stop the mandatory tests? 

Yes it is a CDC requirement for Royal to cruise under the current (maskless) protocols

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

A number of people are saying Royal needs to cancel the test requirement.  Isn't that requirement from the CDC?  Hasn't Royal (and other lines) petitioned the CDC to stop the mandatory tests? 

Part and parcel of a voluntary program authored by CDC.  Hypothetically, no cruise line ever had to follow the voluntary program.

There is another choice available.  Not to participate and be color-coded gray.  Choosing not to participate does not equate to lack of health protocol, so don’t get frantic.

Given the high rates of transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic, CDC currently recommends that everyone avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide, regardless of their vaccination status. However, if you do plan to travel on a cruise ship, it is important to be aware of what these color designations mean. Cruise ships with a “Gray” color status have chosen not to participate in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships. This designation means that CDC has not reviewed or confirmed the cruise ship operator’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols. CDC cannot confirm the COVID-19 public health measures implemented on “Gray” designated ships. Therefore, CDC does not have information about precautions and interventions, such as mask use, crew testing, or vaccination status for these ships.

Edited by logan25

3 hours ago, Gregg00ss said:

I just did a mock booking on Walgreens, said it was for travel, no symptoms, etc..  Put my insurance info in and it let me book an appointment and said nothing about costing anything.  I have very good medical insurance so I'm not sure if my insurance is covering it no questions asked or if this is an oversite and Walgreens isn't even running insurance until you show up to see what you owe.  

Some insurances still cover covid testing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

You can use any legit test with them, not just the orange iHealth test. When you sign up there are about 8 tests to choose from or you can select "other" and type the name of your test.

I don’t understand why people want to use these newly found monitoring service upstarts with reports that no one has shared when the eMed tests, which include monitoring and acceptable reports are only $5-$10 a test more per test for what’s tried, and true, and RC recommends?

1 minute ago, internetwhiz said:

I don’t understand why people want to use these newly found monitoring service upstarts with reports that no one has shared when the eMed tests, which include monitoring and acceptable reports are only $5-$10 a test more per test for what’s tried, and true, and RC recommends?

Well if you received a bunch of free tests from the government, it's hard not to pay the $10 fee and use them up

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mommabo said:

Our experience today:

Three days ago, we scheduled 4 tests for today at noon, indicating test was for travel.  Today added a 5th person, indicating this person had exposure at a conference and a cough.  All 5 of us were told we had to pay for testing regardless of travel or exposure/symptoms. Disappointed and a bit panicked, I remembered all the options for proctored testing.  On drive home at 12:30, I was making appts with the company below starting as early as 1:00.  By 2:00 all 5 of us were tested and had our negative results.  So easy and huge relief.  If in the future we need this again, would definitely go this route even if CVS were an option, this was so convenient and easy worth every penny.  $20 pp using free ihealth we received from the government distribution.  

I have been reading these boards picking up tips, but usually don’t join discussions as it’s not generally my thing, but this information might be helpful to others and I know I would have been lost without all the previous posts about testing, so I thought I would pay it forward.  

When do you sail?

13 minutes ago, internetwhiz said:

Have you done the at home proctored tests without someone else there to help you?

I called the C&A desk this am to make sure re: testing sites.  They said that Rapid Test & Trace was fine.  As long as it's a proctored test using an FDA approved test

and the certificate contains your name, DOB, test time and results -you are fine.

14 minutes ago, luv2sailAgain said:
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, debandbill said:

I called the C&A desk this am to make sure re: testing sites.  They said that Rapid Test & Trace was fine.  As long as it's a proctored test using an FDA approved test

and the certificate contains your name, DOB, test time and results -you are fine.

The Judy Carpenter said that she works for the port.  This is so stressful. I wish I had never booked.  Our Alaska sailing earlier in the month went so smoothly.

It’s amazing all the complaining about having to now pay for the tests! It was never free. Why should other taxpayers or insurance premiums pay for someone to be tested to go on a vacation.

Pay your own way or choose not to sail if a $30 test cost too much to go $1,000 plus vacation. Entitlement is crazy these days.

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 1

I will say it sucks to find this out today for those folks who went to get tested thinking it was free.  I'm glad I found the thread.  I'll be prepared to fork over the $128 or $130 for the test.  For a family of 4 though that's $500 that was an unexpected expense.  Hopefully we can find it cheaper.

1 hour ago, internetwhiz said:

New to whom? I've known about this service for a very long time and have read many reports.

You use whatever makes you feel comfortable. Why bother judging others who, in this case, are more educated about these other services than you are?

I would never post "I don't understand why people waste extra $ on emed when there are other proven, less expensive options." Obviously they use what makes them feel comfortable.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

In addition to now charging for testing the Walgreen's around us are not going to have their pharmacies open on the weekend because of staffing problems. We cruise on Monday so have to test on Saturday or Sunday so we can't depend on them to be available for testing. We're trying the emed Covid home test. 

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Have you done the at home proctored tests without someone else there to help you?

Yes, I have. For multiple cruises. I created my account. Propped up my iPhone and started a session. There are TONS of YouTube videos walking through the EMed testing to get you more familiar with the process. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The testing is a CDC requirement in the voluntary program.  A lot of people have the misconception that the cruise lines can choose which protocols they follow or which ones they ignore but those people are incorrect.  The cruise lines have two choices - volunteer to be in the CDC program or opt out of it and be coded a gray ship.  If they opt into the voluntary program is an "all in" not a "we'll do this but not that."

Key words from the link below: "Cruise lines choosing to opt into this program on a voluntary basis will be required to follow all recommendations and guidance as a condition of their participation in the program (i.e., they will not be able to choose which recommendations to follow). "

Technical Instructions for CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, linerode said:

In addition to now charging for testing the Walgreen's around us are not going to have their pharmacies open on the weekend because of staffing problems. We cruise on Monday so have to test on Saturday or Sunday so we can't depend on them to be available for testing. We're trying the emed Covid home test. 

We do great with them. There’s a link in a post above to a search I did on YouTube video walkthroughs. We watched one before our first one we did last year in September 

12 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

The link for ihealth says sold out….

do you know if this rapid test is only for the ihealth tests? I never got that type for our free tests. 

There is a list on the website of the accepted tests.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

could you post a picture of your results email  (cover up names) so we can see what is included on the page we will show to Port personnel?

thanks!!

Oof, that sounds beyond me 🙂

I can tell you it has our name, DOB, DL#, then results. 

9 hours ago, topnole said:

My guess is the answers on the pre boarding questions will look different?   😂

A lot of cruisers will now be lying on these.     They still have to answer yes or no on the travel question and obviously almost no one is doing the test except for the fact they are cruising (regardless of their allergies or other exposures).  So an honest answer would have to be yes on travel.  Then they will say no on the ship health questionnaire for the symptoms or reasons they gave to Walgreens for getting a free test. So these people lie so the taxpayers get to pay for their test and not them individually.  But some of these same people will preach their ethics on here all day long  😂😂😂.   

Of our 5 people scheduled to test, 4 indicated travel, 1 indicated exposure at conference and a cough.  Only the 4 indicating travel are cruising, the 5th was getting tested due to exposure.  No one lied about anything.  All of us told we now had to pay $128.99 regardless of the reason.  We declined and booked proctored testing (the 4 cruisers). This all happened on the first day the changed was announced.  Despite having booked and having appts for free testing, the day of change all would be charged as our insurance did not cover testing.  It was an unnecessary and unfortunate stressful situation that we were able to resolve quickly and easily due to all the helpful information provided on these boards.  No deception on day of testing, nor the day health questions answered, nor will there be tomorrow when we board.  Sheesh.