Post Viking Promos

Clay Clayton

On 7/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Nice offer but not sure that paying an additional $10k per person for the business air is a good reason to splurge on a suite! 🤔

We had booked the junior suite over the Nordic penthouse, including paying for business airfare. Cabin difference was 1,000 pp for our sailing.

With this offer had we booked now, we would’ve paid over 9000 LESS bc the rooms are same prices but we wouldn’t have needed to pay the airfare. That’s basically the cost of a seven day ocean cruise or a river trip.

Edited by noe4laj
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, noe4laj said:

We had booked the junior suite over the Nordic penthouse, including paying for business airfare. Cabin difference was 1,000 pp for our sailing.

With this offer had we booked now, we would’ve paid over 9000 LESS bc the rooms are same prices but we wouldn’t have needed to pay the airfare. That’s basically the cost of a seven day ocean cruise or a river trip.

No disagreement, but we have to look at the lower end staterooms so for us the difference wouldn’t ever be that tight. 

On 8/1/2022 at 6:52 PM, MikeyB said:

In my 10 years of cruising Viking, I have just received my first "postcard".

Is it a river cruise promotion......no.

Is it an ocean cruise promotion......no.

It is for the Expedition cruise, Antarctic Explorer  for the period October 2022 to March 2023.

Fares starting at $9,995 with free business airfare with suites.

Promotion code ANT22   Expires 8/31.

Savings is substantial for the cheapest categories, but is still what I consider to be expensive.

Ughhh!😩

I almost wish I hadn't seen this!

Okay, here's my dilemma...I have the Antarctic Explorer booked and paid in full for the 12/26/22 sailing (with the Parana Delta pre-trip included) under the "Risk Free Guarantee" promo. After doing the math on what I paid and what I can get it for with ANT22, there's a $3611 difference. That's A LOT of money!!!

What are the odds of Viking working with me on this? Anyone have any suggestions? 

10 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Ughhh!😩

Okay, here's my dilemma...I have the Antarctic Explorer booked and paid in full for the 12/26/22 sailing (with the Parana Delta pre-trip included) under the "Risk Free Guarantee" promo. After doing the math on what I paid and what I can get it for with ANT22, there's a $3611 difference. That's A LOT of money!!!

What are the odds of Viking working with me on this? Anyone have any suggestions? 

When we had a similar circumstance for a TA, it took us and our Travel Agent threatening to cancel and rebook to get anything. All we asked for was an upgrade to a DV which was selling under the promo for less than what we paid for our guaranteed V2, but they wouldn’t budge. Finally, gave us an onboard credit equal to about 1/2 the difference  between what we paid and what they were now selling our cabin for…or about what we would have “saved” by canceling, paying the penalty, and rebooking. 

As my Daddy always said, they can’t say Yes unless you ask. Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

When we had a similar circumstance for a TA, it took us and our Travel Agent threatening to cancel and rebook to get anything. All we asked for was an upgrade to a DV which was selling under the promo for less than what we paid for our guaranteed V2, but they wouldn’t budge. Finally, gave us an onboard credit equal to about 1/2 the difference  between what we paid and what they were now selling our cabin for…or about what we would have “saved” by canceling, paying the penalty, and rebooking. 

As my Daddy always said, they can’t say Yes unless you ask. Good Luck!

Thank you! I'm definitely calling tomorrow and hope and pray I get someone willing to help. 🙏🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Ughhh!😩

It would seem you have two options (if you hurry):

If you cancel under the RFG, you wind up with a voucher. Assuming you then rebook with the promo and apply your voucher, you should be able to use the 'extra' voucher money for a cabin upgrade, shore excursions, drink package, etc. This is only useful if any of these items have value for you.

Depending on the regular cancellation terms you have (check your Guest Statement), you may be just outside the window when significant penalties start to apply (i.e. if that happens at 120 days, not earlier). In that case, you could cancel under those terms, get your fare refunded (less a small penalty) and rebook at the lower price - which could put some cash back in your pocket.

If you have Viking's insurance, that is forfeit when you cancel - so that may be a consideration as well. Call Viking and go through those options with them - be sure to ask about the details of what may be gained or lost in either option - much depends on each individual circumstance.

I would not expect that you would get Viking to simply pass back some or all of the difference - I don't know of any line that does that, but as Clay points out - can't hurt to ask. Good luck! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2022 at 6:52 PM, MikeyB said:

In my 10 years of cruising Viking, I have just received my first "postcard".

It is for the Expedition cruise, Antarctic Explorer  for the period October 2022 to March 2023.

Fares starting at $9,995 with free business airfare with suites.

Promotion code ANT22   Expires 8/31.

Savings is substantial for the cheapest categories, but is still what I consider to be expensive.

If Antarctica had not already been checked off from my bucket list, I would seriously consider taking advantage of the offer.  Expedition cruises are different than regular ocean or river cruises.  They are expensive because it is costly just to get there and resources are limited.  More importantly, the trip is generally considered to be the trip of a life time.

10 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

It would seem you have two options (if you hurry):

If you cancel under the RFG, you wind up with a voucher. Assuming you then rebook with the promo and apply your voucher, you should be able to use the 'extra' voucher money for a cabin upgrade, shore excursions, drink package, etc. This is only useful if any of these items have value for you.

Depending on the regular cancellation terms you have (check your Guest Statement), you may be just outside the window when significant penalties start to apply (i.e. if that happens at 120 days, not earlier). In that case, you could cancel under those terms, get your fare refunded (less a small penalty) and rebook at the lower price - which could put some cash back in your pocket.

If you have Viking's insurance, that is forfeit when you cancel - so that may be a consideration as well. Call Viking and go through those options with them - be sure to ask about the details of what may be gained or lost in either option - much depends on each individual circumstance.

I would not expect that you would get Viking to simply pass back some or all of the difference - I don't know of any line that does that, but as Clay points out - can't hurt to ask. Good luck! 🍺🥌

Love you CurlerRob!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I didn't even think about cancelling, getting a refund and rebooking at the much lower rate. Honestly though, I would leave everything as it is and would accept a room upgrade and the business air they're offering and call it a day but that's too easy for Viking.

We have 130 days to go, so according to the guest statement, Viking will charge $100 per person to cancel the trip and will hopefully refund the remaining amount.🤞🏻

I have travel insurance with Generali so I'm okay in that department thank goodness!

Just redid the math and by cancelling the trip altogether, rebooking with the promo code ANT22 and adding my discounts (past guest & future cruise certificate & e-check) the savings is $5318! Well that's a no brainer!! That's another trip!!!😜

Yes, I will absolutely act fast and call at 9am...

Stay tuned....

28 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Love you CurlerRob!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I didn't even think about cancelling, getting a refund and rebooking at the much lower rate. Honestly though, I would leave everything as it is and would accept a room upgrade and the business air they're offering and call it a day but that's too easy for Viking.

We have 130 days to go, so according to the guest statement, Viking will charge $100 per person to cancel the trip and will hopefully refund the remaining amount.🤞🏻

I have travel insurance with Generali so I'm okay in that department thank goodness!

Just redid the math and by cancelling the trip altogether, rebooking with the promo code ANT22 and adding my discounts (past guest & future cruise certificate & e-check) the savings is $5318! Well that's a no brainer!! That's another trip!!!😜

Stay tuned....

Just two more thoughts before 9am - you haven't mentioned if your original booking used a voucher, or was all paid in cash. If you applied an earlier voucher, it is most likely lost if you cancel under standard terms, so please check that - your mention of FCC sparked my thought.

Secondly, be sure they still have an acceptable cabin for your rebook before you pull the cancel switch - being sold out in a category you like would defeat the purpose! Hope it all works out smoothly - worst case is you still have a spectacular trip upcoming. 🍺🥌

6 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Stay tuned....

Is the ANT22 code just valid in the US?  I get an error message when I try to book it from Canada even though the blue star appears.

1 hour ago, Islandbc said:

Is the ANT22 code just valid in the US?  I get an error message when I try to book it from Canada even though the blue star appears.

You could use the Viking chat feature to find out the answer to your question.

7 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Just two more thoughts before 9am - you haven't mentioned if your original booking used a voucher, or was all paid in cash. If you applied an earlier voucher, it is most likely lost if you cancel under standard terms, so please check that - your mention of FCC sparked my thought.

Secondly, be sure they still have an acceptable cabin for your rebook before you pull the cancel switch - being sold out in a category you like would defeat the purpose! Hope it all works out smoothly - worst case is you still have a spectacular trip upcoming. 🍺🥌

Update...

Spoke with a very nice Viking Rep, Kyle. He couldn't add the promo code ANT22 to my existing booking so he suggested cancelling and rebooking. I had to email vcmail@viking.com, explain my situation and request the cancellation. In the mean time, Kyle copied and saved my exact cruise, has it on hold for 72 hours while I wait for Viking to review my email and submit the cancellation. Before this booking expires I need to pay the $50 reservation deposit and then pay the balance in full by September 15th. Easy peasy, right? Wouldn't you think that with today's technology Viking would be able to click a few buttons and presto chango everything's done in a matter of minutes?? No, not the case. Oy Vey!!🙄

As far as the Future Cruise Certificate I was talking about, it's one of those certificates you purchase on a river cruise for $100 and then when you use it on a future cruise it's worth $200. It's a no brainer...it's free money!  

If this was a few hundred dollars I wouldn't go through this aggravation but the savings is now $5794.26 which is A LOT of money!!! Hell...It's potentially another trip!

Soooo....now I play the waiting game. (Cue the Jeopardy song)🎶

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Janet - I forwarded the ANT22 promo I received the other day. Should work in Canada.

I tried to add the ant22 and they told me only new bookings.  It's interesting, I think it depends on who answers the phone as to whether they will honor a new code.   Our friends had free drinks and 500 OBC added to an already paid for cruise that we are also on and we were told that our "great deal on airfare" precluded us from any other codes.  Now the air is free which would save us 1000 but no way they will do it- I could cancel with my risk free but I am afraid to bugger it all up so... I actually am considering just not paying the gratuities as it seems it is now just a shell game with the money.  If they gave me the OBC I would just put it towards gratuities so.... all even I figure...

4 hours ago, shadowlover said:

I tried to add the ant22 and they told me only new bookings.  It's interesting, I think it depends on who answers the phone as to whether they will honor a new code.   Our friends had free drinks and 500 OBC added to an already paid for cruise that we are also on and we were told that our "great deal on airfare" precluded us from any other codes.  Now the air is free which would save us 1000 but no way they will do it- I could cancel with my risk free but I am afraid to bugger it all up so... I actually am considering just not paying the gratuities as it seems it is now just a shell game with the money.  If they gave me the OBC I would just put it towards gratuities so.... all even I figure...

I'm always puzzled when people suggest that they should somehow qualify for a retroactive promotional offering.

The whole purpose of a promotion is to sell unsold capacity - cruises, flights, car sales - you name it. It's not to make already booked customers happier. Retroactive discounts are also a very poor business decision, as they can easily cost the provider more than not selling the excess capacity.

We all have the opportunity to 'do the math' and exercise the cancellation / rebooking options available in our individual circumstances if its advantageous. We also have the opportunity to play the waiting game, and book late in the cycle, hoping for a better deal - but risking not being able to do the cruise.

One of the reasons that I favour standard inclusion of gratuities is to eliminate the opportunity for pax to withhold them. No matter where one stands on the "who gets the grats" question, the fact that some amount of money is withheld means that someone gets the short end of the stick - and it troubles me greatly that it might be the crew. 🍺🥌

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I'm always puzzled when people suggest that they should somehow qualify for a retroactive promotional offering.

The whole purpose of a promotion is to sell unsold capacity - cruises, flights, car sales - you name it. It's not to make already booked customers happier. Retroactive discounts are also a very poor business decision, as they can easily cost the provider more than not selling the excess capacity.

We all have the opportunity to 'do the math' and exercise the cancellation / rebooking options available in our individual circumstances if its advantageous. We also have the opportunity to play the waiting game, and book late in the cycle, hoping for a better deal - but risking not being able to do the cruise.

One of the reasons that I favour standard inclusion of gratuities is to eliminate the opportunity for pax to withhold them. No matter where one stands on the "who gets the grats" question, the fact that some amount of money is withheld means that someone gets the short end of the stick - and it troubles me greatly that it might be the crew. 🍺🥌

Well yes, I agree these promotions are definitely at this point trying to sell the cruise and fill the ship.  I'm always puzzled why anyone, mainly viking would think that their loyal customers and "the early birds" don't deserve to be treated the same way.  They are concerned about their bottom line as am I.   My main concern is not actually the last minute sales but their somewhat secretive sales/ coupons that they are not transparent about when booking.  They will ask you if you have one but if not they don't share any.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shadowlover said:

Well yes, I agree these promotions are definitely at this point trying to sell the cruise and fill the ship.  I'm always puzzled why anyone, mainly viking would think that their loyal customers and "the early birds" don't deserve to be treated the same way.  They are concerned about their bottom line as am I.   My main concern is not actually the last minute sales but their somewhat secretive sales/ coupons that they are not transparent about when booking.  They will ask you if you have one but if not they don't share any.

I agree.  After booking a Viking cruise, mailers and emails stop.  I get the business reasons for targeting people who are not booked, but it would be nice to get the same offers as others.  Thanks to this group, I can still find deals!

• Like 2

Quick question for this topic.

If Viking were to make future discounts available to those who have already booked and agreed a contract, is it reasonable to expect that when prices increase, Viking have the right to charge extra to those who booked at the lower rates.

Our cabin on the recently cancelled WC increased by $12,000 a few months after we booked. If we don't wish to pay that increase, is it reasonable for us to expect money back, if the price dropped?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Quick question for this topic.

If Viking were to make future discounts available to those who have already booked and agreed a contract, is it reasonable to expect that when prices increase, Viking have the right to charge extra to those who booked at the lower rates.

Our cabin on the recently cancelled WC increased by $12,000 a few months after we booked. If we don't wish to pay that increase, is it reasonable for us to expect money back, if the price dropped?

Andy

I understand the point you’re making and you knew the answer before you asked it.  That being said, it is very disheartening when for whatever reason (in our case it was Hurricane Maria) the price falls significantly (in our case due to many cancelations) that Viking is unwilling to consider upgrading a bit but instead would rather keep us from canceling and rebooking offers some onboard credit. Just doesn’t make much sense to me. 

As for this topic, that wasn’t the point of the thread. I started it since Viking doesn’t seem to publish their promos in a central location.  Hopefully, when one of us hears about one, we can share the info. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Andy

I understand the point you’re making and you knew the answer before you asked it.  That being said, it is very disheartening when for whatever reason (in our case it was Hurricane Maria) the price falls significantly (in our case due to many cancelations) that Viking is unwilling to consider upgrading a bit but instead would rather keep us from canceling and rebooking offers some onboard credit. Just doesn’t make much sense to me. 

As for this topic, that wasn’t the point of the thread. I started it since Viking doesn’t seem to publish their promos in a central location.  Hopefully, when one of us hears about one, we can share the info. 

Clay - Since we had to cancel our cruises, we receive daily promos from Viking; however, they are often repeated after a few days, so it isn't a new promo every day.

With respect to price changes, most Viking pax are well travelled and while some are on their first Viking cruise, few are taking their first ever cruise. Supply & demand pricing in the entire travel industry is common, not only the cruise industry, but also the airlines, hotels, etc. I have no doubt that most, if not all Viking pax are aware that the price they paid, could change.

The timing of when you book a cruise depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. Personally, since DW has motion issues, we book early, provided the price is acceptable. Since location is a priority, by booking early, we accept the price could decrease. An example is the Trans-Atlantic we booked even before it was published, so we could get the same cabin as the WC. I expected this cruise to reduce in price. Note - it is already about $700 pp cheaper. Had we wanted those prices, we should have held off and booked later, when less cabins were available.

We booked that cruise early to have our choice of cabin, personally I don't consider it fair if we benefit from getting our preferred cabin, but then also expect to benefit from the lower fares.

Since we negotiated a price and agreed a contract, I expect both parties to adhere to the terms & conditions. If we expect Viking to provide lower prices, then I suggest it is reasonable for them to charge more when the cruise sells quickly, and they increase prices.

Personally, I suggest Viking and pax should adhere to the contract we signed, as if prices drop, we do have the option of cancelling and re-booking, provided the reward is worth the time and risk.

• Like 2