Formal vs. Semi-formal vs. Casual

JeanneII

I'm going on a 7-night RCI cruise in June. We have 2 formal, 3 semi, and 2 casual nights. I am one of those who LOVES to get dressed up to go out, so my question is how formal are the semi-formal nights? Does anyone wear a full-length gown for semi or only shorter?

I have found several formal, floor-length gowns at great prices, and I'm having a hard time picking only 2.:rolleyes:

Even on the casual nights, I'll probably be in a casual dress or or skirt, but I don't want to be OVERdressed on the semi-formal nights.

I haven't sailed on RCI, but as far as Semi-formal nights go, I am familiar with them. I usually wear something closer to a cocktail dress for semi-formal. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone wearing a floor length gown for semi-formal.

Men are usually wearing a sport coat and tie, not a tux, but possibly a full suit.

Before you shop for semi-formal dresses, you might want to check the RCCL boards here, a few recent cruise reviews were mentioning that there were NO semi-formal nights on their cruise, just 2 formal and 5 casual. My experience with Celebrity with semi-formal nights was seeing mainly skirts/simple cocktail dresses/pantsuits on women and the only long gown type dresses seen were on formal nights....

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise.

I have a lot of sea days in with RCI and it there have been smart casual nights on all of my sailings. I understand that cruises from TX have eliminated these evenings altogether but my two most recent cruises (Vision and Serenade) both had them.

In addition, the specialty restaurants always require smart casual as a minumum.

Here's my take on it, not that's it's right: Formal for me means a gown. Semi formal means, like, a cocktail dress. Casual means a dress or nice pants outfit (someone else could take it to mean a very casual pants outfit, which is fine). I like to look spiffy, no matter what, at dinner, so I always dress UP, more than other people. The only disappointment I have is when, on formal nights, people show up at dinner very, very casual. That's what the Lido or the second restaurant is usually for. When dressed up, I think it's fun to be surrounded by other dressed up people. Hope that helps.

Jane :)

I totally agree, Jane. I like to dress up, and personally, I'd rather be a little over-dressed than under-dressed at any event.

First, I'll make sure I've got the right information about how many of each type night we are having. If it's what I thought, then I'll stick with 2 gowns, 3 cocktail, and the rest my normal skirt or capri casual.

The semi formal night is going the way of the Dodo. So what? I still dress nicely for dinner and enjoy it. I usually wear cocktail length dresses (no hose. Tanned legs or spray on hose) with dressier shoes. I always feel comfortable. Even on casual nights I dress up a little. I never get out here at home and this represents months of date nights for me.

Archived