Tips for a Solo Cruiser

ishap

I am recently divorced but before I went through the divorce I had a bunch of FCC and OBC from past canceled cruises so I decided to go ahead and book a cruise to use all that up.  To my surprise I was able to get a 7-day cruise w/ 1k of OBC and it didn't cost me anything out of pocket. 

I am young (47) but am having trouble finding someone to go with seeing as though all my friends have other commitments, or being young, still have young kids at home.  My kids are all grown.  Anyway, I am going to take this cruise alone to just get away, clear my head, relax, enjoy myself.

Just curious as to any tips you solo cruisers may have for a solo newbie.  Definitely not my first cruise, just would be the first one I've done solo.

• Like 1

Done many solo cruises, on 4 different mass lines.  I had the freedom to choose what activities I wanted to do solo, and when I wanted company.  Didn't need to decide all that prior to cruise. Could decide on a day to day basis.

I did bulk up my downloads for my kindle though.

Some lines like NCL offer solo/single assistance with dining, excursions and meeting lounges. CC has threads here on line in this forum for singles(date hopefuls?) and solos, you can get lots of tips there.

• Like 2

Just relax and enjoy!  I have cruised solo several times and love it.  You do what you want, when you want, and don’t have to worry about what anyone else may or may not want to do.  If you are looking to make new cruise friends on board, it will be very easy because, just like you, everyone is there to enjoy themselves.

I didn’t do any excursions as I had been to those ports many times.  I did get off the ship and wandered around the area to boost the economy of some countries.  

Don’t stress about it.  You will have a great time!

• Like 4

I am going in November by myself.  I usually go to a health spa to celebrate my milestone birthdays and decided to try a solo cruise for my 65th.  I am going with a "theme" in mind - I am going to make it as health-spa like as possible.  I've reserved spa appointments, plan on doing the fitness classes, walking the decks to get steps in, trying all the healthy eating options, etc.  I'm plan on pampering myself as much as possible 🙂

• Like 7

Solo cruising is great.  You can do whatever you want without having to worry about someone else's preferences.

And as others have said, you can do regular dining, where they will assign you to a table, or YTD where you can dine alone.  I've done both.  The one time I did regular dining, our table was full of other solo cruisers and we had a great time.  

Don't be afraid to do excursions.  There are always other folks you can hang with.  I once did a Key West walking tour, and the group was so much fun we ended up hanging out after the excursion finished.  

Take lots of books to read and enjoy yourself!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

And as others have said, you can do regular dining, where they will assign you to a table, or YTD where you can dine alone.  I've done both.  The one time I did regular dining, our table was full of other solo cruisers and we had a great time.  

If you find yourself at a table and don't care for the company, just leave.

• Like 1

Sitting at the bar is a great place to meet fellow guests and be able to easily strike up a conversation with those people as well as with the bartenders.  Bartenders are often very interesting people who have many stories to tell when they have the time and motivation to do so.  

• Like 4

You’ll be surprised how many other solo cruisers there are. Attend the solo meet ups every night. Took my first solo at 45 and met so many people

of all different ages and nationalities. You’ll have more fun than you think (and I’m an introvert). Just booked my 2nd solo (now divorced) at 50. You have nothing to worry about and you’ll find the freedom you have to do as you please is a fantastic feeling!

• Like 9

You’ll be amazed how often people ask you if you’re traveling alone, and then are immediately intrigued and want to hear what that’s like. I am an introvert and keep to myself when cruising, but it just somehow comes up a LOT with people I stand in line with or who want to share my table or whatever. So there are many opportunities to chat with folks and socialize a little if you want to.

when going to the buffet, always take a few items (a tote bag or hat) to leave on your table. If you get up to go get seconds or get yourself another drink for example, and you leave nothing on your table, you will come back and find it’s been cleaned and new people are sitting there. There’s no tablemate to hold the table for you, obviously. So get your food first, find a table, and if you need to go get drinks or anything, just leave a few things to indicate you’ll be right back. 

It’s awfully nice to have a cabin to yourself. Don’t be afraid to take naps or order room service and watch a movie. I think on a cruise ship we feel like we should be doing all the things, but sometimes you just want to unwind and relax and enjoy your vacation that way.

when I cruise alone, I like to sit on the aisle at shows. That way, if I’m not enjoying it, I can quietly slip out without bothering anyone (or ask anyone if it’s OK if we go.)

if you find yourself wanting to be around people, join in the trivia games or watch karaoke or things like that. 

Edited by Cruise Kay
  • Like 21

On 7/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, Cruise Kay said:

You’ll be amazed how often people ask you if you’re traveling alone, and then are immediately intrigued and want to hear what that’s like. I am an introvert and keep to myself when cruising, but it just somehow comes up a LOT with people I stand in line with or who want to share my table or whatever. So there are many opportunities to chat with folks and socialize a little if you want to.

when going to the buffet, always take a few items (a tote bag or hat) to leave on your table. If you get up to go get seconds or get yourself another drink for example, and you leave nothing on your table, you will come back and find it’s been cleaned and new people are sitting there. There’s no tablemate to hold the table for you, obviously. So get your food first, find a table, and if you need to go get drinks or anything, just leave a few things to indicate you’ll be right back. 

It’s awfully nice to have a cabin to yourself. Don’t be afraid to take naps or order room service and watch a movie. I think on a cruise ship we feel like we should be doing all the things, but sometimes you just want to unwind and relax and enjoy your vacation that way.

when I cruise alone, I like to sit on the aisle at shows. That way, if I’m not enjoying it, I can quietly slip out without bothering anyone (or ask anyone if it’s OK if we go.)

if you find yourself wanting to be around people, join in the trivia games or watch karaoke or things like that. 

Same, I also see both intrigue at the idea of solo traveling and jealousy at the idea.  

I also find the dining room hosts will look out for me when they see I am solo.  

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, DramaQueen22 said:

Solo cruising is great.  You can do whatever you want without having to worry about someone else's preferences.

Don't be afraid to do excursions.  There are always other folks you can hang with.  I once did a Key West walking tour, and the group was so much fun we ended up hanging out after the excursion finished.  

Take lots of books to read and enjoy yourself!

On 7/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, billslowsky said:

If you find yourself at a table and don't care for the company, just leave.

On the rare occasion I didn't enjoy the company of my assigned tablemates (2 out of 30 cruises) but I liked the table location, I just brought a book.  

I do maneuver myself in position to take front of the bus when going on excursions because I want to hear the tour guides.    

I agree with the other folks who give cruising solo a BIG THUMBS UP👍.  I have been cruising solo for nearly 20 years now......it is the only way I sail. Can do what I want, when I want, or I can do nothing at all......I can find a seat at a bar, meet the bartenders and know it is an easy peasy way to meet others too.🙂

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips.  I am windowed now and recently went on the Oasis with a friend and her friend.
So glad I had my own cabin.  I never did see those girls, except for 5 dinners.  (out of 18 meals)

I was so upset and lonely.  I could not believe that my g/f ditched me so much.  I now say I was on a solo cruise. 
I am still interested in another cruise.  Thinking of a quick cruise on NCL out of NY in Dec.  

On 7/6/2022 at 9:10 PM, Cruise Kay said:

After multiple planned solo cruises kept getting canceled or postponed in 2020, 2021, and earlier in 2022, I decided on a solo land vacation this summer - two weeks in Ireland.  I found the same interest in my solo trip as Cruise Kay did.   Both local residents and other travelers were fascinated by the fact that I did this alone.   It became a conversation starter, and I enjoyed the casual social contact. 

I booked some day trip tours in Ireland, and those also provided some social contact on bus rides and while visiting attractions.   I hope the same happens on excursions when I finally take my first solo cruise, currently planned for October of this year.  I am an introvert, and I had no problem being alone for my vacation, but I did make an effort to strike up conversations when appropriate just to have some social contact, even if casual and fleeting.  

I also found that keeping in touch with loved ones and friends back home, sharing pictures and stories of my adventures, eased any sense of loneliness that might crop up.

I do have concerns on my upcoming cruise about mealtimes.  I am still wary of covid, and crowded restaurants make me nervous.   On my vacation, I mostly ate outside or in my hotel room, and I only ate in restaurants when not crowded, such as early morning breakfasts or mid-afternoon late lunches.   With the number of fellow passengers on a cruise and specific dining times, I doubt there will ever be a time when the dining rooms, including the buffet, aren't full of people.   Room service is an option, but for every meal, that's not particularly appealing.    Well, I will play it by ear and figure it out at the time.    

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I do have concerns on my upcoming cruise about mealtimes.  I am still wary of covid, and crowded restaurants make me nervous.   On my vacation, I mostly ate outside or in my hotel room, and I only ate in restaurants when not crowded, such as early morning breakfasts or mid-afternoon late lunches.   With the number of fellow passengers on a cruise and specific dining times, I doubt there will ever be a time when the dining rooms, including the buffet, aren't full of people.   Room service is an option, but for every meal, that's not particularly appealing.    Well, I will play it by ear and figure it out at the time.    

My modest suggestions for less busy dining on mainstream lines:

• On sea days, breakfast in the buffet tends to be less busy before 9 AM
  • Lunch in the buffet usually closes between 2:30 and 3:30.  If you go after this, the whole area won't be crowded.  It's a great time to grab a drink or some ice cream.  And if there's food nearby, you can bring it in and eat in peace.
  • Dinner after 7 PM in the buffet is usually less crowded
  • There might be restaurants or cafes with outdoor seating; it's worth a look at the deck plan to find out
  • You can also take buffet food outside; some ships make this easier than others
  • In the MDR for dinner, you're kind of stuck with crowded conditions.  I've heard late seating is a little less popular than early.
  • For flex time dining (whatever it's called) in the MDR and specialty restaurants, either early (6:30 or before) or late (8 or later) tends to be less crowded
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 9:54 PM, Mrs. H. said:

Thanks for the tips.  I am windowed now and recently went on the Oasis with a friend and her friend.
So glad I had my own cabin.  I never did see those girls, except for 5 dinners.  (out of 18 meals)

I was so upset and lonely.  I could not believe that my g/f ditched me so much.  I now say I was on a solo cruise. 
I am still interested in another cruise.  Thinking of a quick cruise on NCL out of NY in Dec.  

I travel solo. I don't wanna worry where others are or what they doing or if I have to join in or if I have to go with them. It is so freeing  To be able to do what you want when you want. I'm married And I like to travel solo. If someone speaks to me I will respond but I don't actively look for other people. I do like to sit with other people when I'm dining and it is always worked out well. I have trouble several lines but my favorite is Holland America.

Edited by sandrajean123
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 7:57 AM, Joanne G. said:

After multiple planned solo cruises kept getting canceled or postponed in 2020, 2021, and earlier in 2022, I decided on a solo land vacation this summer - two weeks in Ireland.  I found the same interest in my solo trip as Cruise Kay did.   Both local residents and other travelers were fascinated by the fact that I did this alone.   It became a conversation starter, and I enjoyed the casual social contact. 

I booked some day trip tours in Ireland, and those also provided some social contact on bus rides and while visiting attractions.   I hope the same happens on excursions when I finally take my first solo cruise, currently planned for October of this year.  I am an introvert, and I had no problem being alone for my vacation, but I did make an effort to strike up conversations when appropriate just to have some social contact, even if casual and fleeting.  

I also found that keeping in touch with loved ones and friends back home, sharing pictures and stories of my adventures, eased any sense of loneliness that might crop up.

Curious!  I'd love to hear more about your Ireland trip.  Were you part of a group (if so, what agency -- if you would recommend) or strictly solo.

I spent years looking at cruising and couldn’t persuade family or friends to do it, so eventually, I discovered NCLs studio cabins and solo coordinators and booked my first cruise with them. I enjoyed it so much I booked my second within a week of getting home.

From the start of that first cruise I met other solos and there was always at least one other solo on every excursion I had booked, and that’s been the case ever since.

On my first cruise post-covid I had just done 6xdays a week at work for the entire summer so I wasn’t looking to be super social. I booked an inside cabin so didn’t have access to the studio lounge and the restrictions that were still in place meant there were no solo meet-ups. Yet I still found another solo on my first excursion so if we happened to spot each other in the buffet thereafter we’d share a table.  But I dined alone with my kindle for most of that cruise. 

I would say on the NCL breakaway, getaway and escape you can usually find a quiet spot somewhere on the ship even when it’s at max capacity.  The waterfront on deck 8 is normally relatively quiet depending which section you go to. There are also outdoor tables for a couple of the specialty restaurants on that deck along with the outside tables at the buffet. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RevZacc said:

Curious!  I'd love to hear more about your Ireland trip.  Were you part of a group (if so, what agency -- if you would recommend) or strictly solo.

I went strictly solo.  I considered a tour, but I thought I might feel more alone as a solo among probably all couples than I would feel simply traveling alone.    More importantly, I wanted to plan my days around what I wanted to do with no time spent on things that didn't interest me - art museums and long walks along the coasts, yes; Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery, no LOL.

Being on my own meant doing a great deal of research - hotels, public transportation systems, distance between the things I wanted to see and how much time people typically spend at those sites in order to plan how much I could do in a day.  I even looked up what time the sun would set so I knew how much daylight I would have.

I split my time between Dublin and Galway, and I took one day trip by train to Belfast to see the Titanic exhibit.  If I have any regrets about not doing a bus tour, it would be that there are so many other parts of Ireland that I didn't see.   But I just discovered that NCL put out a 2025 itinerary that circles Ireland, sailing out of Southhampton.   That is an uncommon itinerary that definitely interests me.  ☘️

As for that October solo cruise (Princess California Coastal) that I mentioned in my previous post, I got covid the week before and had to cancel.  😥 Next up for my long-awaited first solo cruise is Northern Europe on the Carnival Pride in July next year.   What I am looking forward to a solo cruise, as opposed to a solo land vacation, is the evening activities on a ship.  As I was reluctant to go out alone after dark in unfamiliar cities, the evenings in the hotel rooms were sort of boring.   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Solo Cruisers

I’ve found solo travel to be very refreshing. Now, I spent most of career doing business travel so solo flights, dinners and hotels aren’t intimidating for me. Here’s my thoughts on maintaining my distance or socially interacting depending on mood / preference.

Maintaining My Distance

1) at any time of the day or night there are underutilized areas of the ship.That rocking night club is generally a quiet observation deck during the day.for reading, napping, listening to music.

2) the buffet is much more popular during breakfast and lunch than the MDR. Have your early meals in the MDR and dinner at the buffet.

3) carry a book and keep your iPods in when you’re eating or enjoying a drink. It’s a clear signal you don’t wish to engage and people generally respect that.

4) Utilize your cabin. There’s no shame in watching a movie or taking a nap in your cabin. Sure you’re cruising and the sea views are lovely etc. but your cabin is your oasis.

5) Lively bar vs quiet bar. Just like #1, various bars are busier / quieter depending on time of day.

6) Stay on board on port days. Wish you could get a deck chair but frustrated by chair hogs or the noise around the pool area? Use a port day as your pool day. In low-interest ports (in my opinion) like Nassau, I may take a quick look around the market and then chill by the pool while others enjoy their shopping excursions etc.

7) popcorn and movie night on the pool deck. Grab a deck chair, eat some popcorn, enjoy a moving. Sure there’s lots of people around but they’re generally focused on the movie not socializing.

😎 play slots if you’re a casino person. I’ve never had someone strike up a convo at the slots other than a quick “hi, how you doing?” (Obviously, this could get expensive)

Interacting (A number of these are opposite of the above)

1) flip #1 above and hang out in the busy areas. If you’re having a drink, sit at the bar not at a table. You’re far more likely to strike up a convo with the folks getting a drink.

2) eat at the buffet during breakfast and lunch. If possible grab a table for 4. If you see another solo or couple looking for a place to sit, catch their eye and offer them a seat at your table. Eat dinner in MDR and if you’re not seated with a large group ask the maitre’d to place you with one. Just remember, never be shy to ask for a change if you don’t vibe with the group.

3) take up smoking. (Just kidding). I’m a smoker and some of my most enjoyable chats take place in the smoking section. You’ll see the same faces every day and you’ll always feel welcome.

4) Solo Meet and Greets - fair warning, I never attend those. But a number of solo cruisers I’ve met enjoy them. They are not dating or hook up meetings, just a way for folks to socialize.

5) excursions. Their very nature makes them ideal for making new friends

6) Senor Frogs / Margaritaville bars exist in a lot of ports and when the cruisers are in town they ROCK! Music, conga lines, silly contests, dancing on tables and bars, bottle shots. Frat house fun and even in my 60’s I enjoy the vibe (from my introvert’s seat away from the action).

7) Casino - play roulette, craps or a slot tourney to make new friends. NOT Hold ‘Em. Poker is not generally a social game. The players aren’t trying to take the casino’s money, they’re trying to take YOU’RE money.

8- Trivia, bingo, dance offs. Find your tribe at the activity that turns your crank.

9) smile. Make eye contact. Say hello. Everyone responds positively to this and you find yourself invited into more conversations, meal invitations and activities. (Warning: There are sketchy folks everywhere. Solo’s should be careful and never reveal your cabin location or personal details to other cruisers. Don’t hand out your cabin key card to someone who offers to get a drink for you. Avoid being alone, especially late or night, with anyone you’ve just met)

any other tips for either maintaining distance or looking for new friends.

• Like 4