Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

We are currently packing... It's a bit confusing in the Silversea info. Is the dinner/sport men's jacket after 6pm requirement for formal nights or all nights in public spaces onboard Silverseas?

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

• Like 1

We just got off the Shadow,Alaska If you did not have a jacket in the Dining Room 4 out of 7 nights they gave you one.I was very surprised.My husband always travels with a sport coat so no issues for us.None in the Italian restaurant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

I'm I to understand, even on casual nights, after dinner a jacket is required in public spaces?

1 hour ago, C-sea said:

I'm I to understand, even on casual nights, after dinner a jacket is required in public spaces?

No. A jacket is not required then. Jackets are never required at the grill/hot rocks. And on informal nights, guests can dress casual in La Terrazza.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My reading of the ' suggestions'  is that the whole of the  second paragraph is just about formal nights, when a jacket is required after 6?

There should be a gap between the paragraphs,  which would make it more obvious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lincslady said:

My reading of the ' suggestions'  is that the whole of the  second paragraph is just about formal nights, when a jacket is required after 6?

There should be a gap between the paragraphs,  which would make it more obvious.

accept... my understanding is jackets for men  are also required on informal evenings in public spaces after dinner

11 minutes ago, C-sea said:

my understanding is jackets for men  are also required on informal evenings in public spaces after dinner

Not quite, if you read the second paragraph without extra text, it looks like this:

16 hours ago, WesW said:

On formal nights, . . .  Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required.

I believe that means no jacket is required on nights that are not formal. 

As I said we were on the Whisper last week.4 out of 7 nights jackets were requires for dinner at the Main Dining Room. A lot of men took them off to eat so really a silly rule.No jackets were required on the ship after dinner.The jackets were handed out for the men who did not have one.

Correction.  Disregard my comment above. Ugh!   Jackets ARE required for men in select venues even on informal night.  For example, Atlantide, the main dining room requires jackets to walk in. Once seated, most took them off.  Even on board, it’s confusing.   Jacket and tie on informal.  Only slacks required in La Terezza on all nights. 

9 hours ago, gcornell said:

Jacket and tie on informal.  Only slacks required in La Terezza on all nights. 

I do not believe this is correct.

Informal nights mean that in most outlets men are to wear jackets, but neckties are not required.

According to my understanding, on formal nights a jacket but not necessarily a necktie is required in La Terrazza.  

Goodness, this all murky.  Part of the problem is the use of formal, informal, and casual.  Most people interpret informal as a notch above casual.  Casual being daytime touring clothes (t shirts, shorts, hiking pants), informal meaning shirt and long slacks for men, formal meaning coat and tie - and of course, slacks 😎.  SS has their own definition which we will respect but the murkiness is evident in that the rules only apply to classic voyages.  And, from reports, even classic voyages have random enforcement.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

I do not believe this is correct.

Informal nights mean that in most outlets men are to wear jackets, but neckties are not required.

According to my understanding, on formal nights a jacket but not necessarily a necktie is required in La Terrazza.  

It’s definitely correct. I couldn’t enter Altantide last night because I didn’t bring a jacket and they ran out before I got there so we went to La Terezza.  Also ate at The Grill and Indochine without a jacket and about 50% of the men didn’t have jackets. 

2 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Can someone please clarify if jackets are required on the Cloud on an expedition voyage in Antarctica?

Jackets are not required on the Cloud in Antarctica although you may feel more comfortable if you have one for the Captains welcome evening.   If you dont have one or dont want to take one dont be too worried, just wear a "proper" shirt and decent slacks (not jeans).

• Like 1

So far the confusion only extends to the restaurants at dinner.  The title of this thread is 'after 6 pm' – so here's a further wrinkle: are jackets required everywhere on the ship after 6 pm?  I believe this was the practice in the bad old days of formal everything...

32 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

It seems the confusion is an American thing.

An English Gentleman always knows how to dress 😀

Touché.   A point to the Englishman.

Look, it's easy; buy a nice blue blazer if you don't have one.  Wear it every night except formal night (which is dinner jacket).  The end.  🙂  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, C-sea said:

No, it is not.  If it is a casual night, it is a casual night.  No one need go back to the room to get a jacket after dinner on a casual night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

No, it is not.  If it is a casual night, it is a casual night.  No one need go back to the room to get a jacket after dinner on a casual night.

Correct. See Below for a pic of tomorrows casual itinerary. Hope this helps:

B7A8519C-5B1B-48E6-AAA0-1602A467D6AF.jpeg

2FAF04B9-8B23-4694-9028-2B5BC261D047.jpeg

• Like 1