Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

On 7/7/2022 at 1:26 PM, DCPIV said:

I tend to agree.  Silversea's fleet is growing while the number of customers who enjoy Silversea's dress code is shrinking.  That's just the way it is.  Standards change, and they've largely loosened over the last 100 years or more.  If they hadn't, then men would be in white tie, tails, and waistcoats.  If they hadn't, then you ladies would be lacing up your corsets before dinner each night.  While I'm fairly certain someone around here may wish for those days, I'm far more confident that the lion's share of us do not.

Standards have changed, and we all have to deal with that.  I'm fine wearing a jacket for a few reasons.  Regardless, it doesn't bother me in the least to wear one during the evening and night on a cruise ship.  However, it also doesn't bother me in the least when someone doesn't.

As for shorts, jeans, and what-not, I tend to agree that sort of thing is acceptable only when it cannot be helped (such as the late or lost luggage example).  If someone is doing that intentionally, then that tells me a lot about that person, but then I move on.  You see, that's the thing.  I move on.

I can get my head around someone desiring and enforcing a dress code.  I can get my head around someone not being aware of the dress code when it's buried on the website (because I've seen that, myself).  I can get my head around someone rebelling against a dress code.  What I cannot get my head around is all the hand wringing that goes on about it both here and on board a ship.

I challenge you to answer your own question.  If it is so trivial, then why is it so important to you?

I'll take my answer off the air, though (so to speak).  Y'all have fun continuing this for another few pages until the next one comes along.  Surely, I have a martini calling.

So well said.  Agree 100%.  

On 7/8/2022 at 8:41 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

Let me give everybody a dose of reality. We are currently on the Moon. Last night we had dinner in La Dame and at the table next to us, a family of four came in and Father and son both were wearing jeans and not a word was said. The night before was formal and there were more than a few men in jeans and not wearing a tie. One was even in the captain's reception. Do I care, heck no. Do I abide by the dress code, heck yes. People are going to do what they want to do. Time to get over ourselves folks as times are a changing!! 

Perhaps the SS dress code is going to be relaxed in the near future and staff knows that forcing the issue is soon to be a moot point.  Fingers crossed. 

Is it too much to ask that a "gentleman" wear a jacket to dinner?  We've had enough relaxation of social standards and common courtesy and decency -- please let's just hang on to what little semblance of adult respect for others we can muster.  Would you rather have dinner with a full dining room on Silversea or Carnival? 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dusababy said:

Is it too much to ask that a "gentleman" wear a jacket to dinner?  We've had enough relaxation of social standards and common courtesy and decency -- please let's just hang on to what little semblance of adult respect for others we can muster.  Would you rather have dinner with a full dining room on Silversea or Carnival? 

I doubt that avid Carnival cruisers don’t sail on SS because of the dress code but I’m not saying “anything goes” should be the standard either.  Just looking for a dress code that matches the age we live in where one can be elegant, stylish and tasteful in less forma l attire. And no, not too much to ask that gentlemen wear a jacket.

21 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Coincidentally, I recently came across an article that included a photo of a recent "formal night" on the RCL Wonder of the Seas:

image.png.78ce132d97b27fe1927f329d91bc77d7.png

Here is the link:  https://www.insider.com/first-time-cruise-mistakes-royal-caribbean-wonder-of-the-seas-2022-5.   (I think that decor would bring on a migraine for me.)

Is that the Andrea Bocelli dining room.

• Haha 1

On my Silver Moon cruise last month, I wore a jacket every night. I brought five blazers and one dark suit with me. I enjoy dressing up. However, many times I would pair a blazer with smart jeans. I never got any looks or questions for wearing jeans and thought my looks were some of the best on the boat (ha!) What I’m saying is you’re eating in nice venues and should dress appropriately to the setting and meal. The dress code is trying to get to that environment but there is also some common sense too. And there should be some latitude too. 

• Like 4

On 7/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, scseas said:

On my Silver Moon cruise last month, I wore a jacket every night. I brought five blazers and one dark suit with me. I enjoy dressing up. However, many times I would pair a blazer with smart jeans. I never got any looks or questions for wearing jeans and thought my looks were some of the best on the boat (ha!) What I’m saying is you’re eating in nice venues and should dress appropriately to the setting and meal. The dress code is trying to get to that environment but there is also some common sense too. And there should be some latitude too. 

Nice, but if you say you want people to follow the rules—yet you didn’t follow the rules.  What makes it wrong if someone doesn’t want to wear a jacket- but wears a nice design shirt with slacks?

Just a note: nice jeans isn’t a problem with me.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just a note: nice jeans isn’t a problem with me.

There are a lot of people who feel that those oh so vague "nice jeans" are OK. I actually don't care but I find it infuriating that SS refuses to enforce their own rules. Try walking into the dining room smoking a cigar and insist that you too are special. The loaner jackets are an absolute absurdity.   Oh wait.. they are simply annoying chair decorations. How sanitary are they? Perhaps the person refusing to wear a jacket is actually a "them" and is feeling gender neutral

on the evening in question. Then what?  Why would someone purposely choose a ship when they know in advance that they don't care for the restrictions. The jeans aren't a problem for me either and of course you follow the protocol. No consequences are the way things seem to be everywhere these days.

4 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Sorry, but I agree with you—Silversea should enforce the rules or update them.  I just get tired of people making statements regarding the dress code but think it’s OK for them to do what they want.

That said I’d prefer a lighter dress code, but nicely done.  But I can read the rules and will be following them as stated.

• Haha 1

Slightly off topic, but wonderful comment about the attire worn at the pool grill on the Spirit this evening. ‘The youngish “lady” was wearing a bra top and soggy arsed trousers’, later joined by her mister, wearing swimming shorts, a scruffy t shirt and flip flops.

• Haha 1

To answer the OP’s question, on formal nights, all men I observed were wearing at least jackets after 6 pm.  On informal nights, overwhelming majority wore jackets, though I saw men in long-sleeved shirts or a sweater.  Obviously, jackets aren’t required on casual nights.  

In response to the picture posted, on some mainstream lines, “formal” night is a “suggestion.”   They want to give the option of dressing up without requiring it.  They strongly encourage a jacket on formal night, but it’s not enforced.  

WRT SS, must confess I prefer casual dining, especially on port days.  It’s a pain to get back from an excursion at 1800 and be “dressed” for dinner by 1900 (we like to eat early).  We accept and comply with SS’s rules, but I at least am not a fan.  Also requires me to pack more stuff, especially shoes.  

The above said, I’m fine with some level of “decor.”  I liked Crystal’s approach.  Most nights were SS equivalent of casual - collared shirt and I think it was no jeans.  Formal night required a jacket, no tie, but most men wore a tie.  Some folks got very dressed up. 

It will be interesting to see if, in this more casual world, SS will relax a bit.  

• Like 2

I thought I'd never respond to one of these threads, but...

I agree that Silversea needs to state their dress code with more clarity and stick to it.  It's no secret that it is a more "formal" line, so there should be no excuses.  It seems Silversea has already accommodated guests  that prefer to dress casually for dinner by offering The Grill, Spaccanapoli, and in-suite dining, and (horrors!), if one can be bothered to but pack a simple jacket, La Terrazza, Seishin, Kaiseki, or Silver Note (not sure about the new S.A.L.T. Bar).  And there are usually ample casual nights to sample Atlantide, Indochine, and La Dame.  If, after all that, the dress code still traumatizes you, just sail another line!  With the absence of corsets, starched collars, and boiled shirtfronts, it really doesn't take much to get dressed for dinner, even without a lady's maid or manservant, and even after a day-long excursion, although formal nights are usually scheduled for sea days, and I personally prefer to schedule a more relaxed meal in La Terrazza or in-suite for port days that are especially grueling.

I think we all book cruises with Silversea because they are unique in certain ways.  Why clamor for them to lose their uniqueness?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

What's wrong with starched collars and suspenders anyway 😀

Absolutely nothing.  I always get my dress shirts starched.  And I wear braces (i.e., suspenders) with my black tie kit.

4 hours ago, ggo85 said:

To answer the OP’s question, on formal nights, all men I observed were wearing at least jackets after 6 pm.  On informal nights, overwhelming majority wore jackets, though I saw men in long-sleeved shirts or a sweater.  Obviously, jackets aren’t required on casual nights.  

In response to the picture posted, on some mainstream lines, “formal” night is a “suggestion.”   They want to give the option of dressing up without requiring it.  They strongly encourage a jacket on formal night, but it’s not enforced.  

WRT SS, must confess I prefer casual dining, especially on port days.  It’s a pain to get back from an excursion at 1800 and be “dressed” for dinner by 1900 (we like to eat early).  We accept and comply with SS’s rules, but I at least am not a fan.  Also requires me to pack more stuff, especially shoes.  

The above said, I’m fine with some level of “decor.”  I liked Crystal’s approach.  Most nights were SS equivalent of casual - collared shirt and I think it was no jeans.  Formal night required a jacket, no tie, but most men wore a tie.  Some folks got very dressed up. 

It will be interesting to see if, in this more casual world, SS will relax a bit.  

Thanks for your thoughtful post.  We can only hope there is an easing of the dress code to reflect the style of the demographic that SS is courting.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, Silver Spectre said:

Slightly off topic, but wonderful comment about the attire worn at the pool grill on the Spirit this evening. ‘The youngish “lady” was wearing a bra top and soggy arsed trousers’, later joined by her mister, wearing swimming shorts, a scruffy t shirt and flip flops.

at least it was not the other way around 🙃

• Haha 3