HAC vs RCI for Med Cruise

boatsrfun

My wife and I are planning on a Mediterranean cruise Jul 2023 to celebrate our 10 yr anniversary.  My wife went on one short cruise after college and I have never been on one before, so we don't really know what we're doing.  We would love any/all input!  

We are trying to decide between a 7 day RCI cruise and a 7 day HAC cruise.  

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E3M07F/O346.html

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/7-night-greek-isles-from-rome-civitavecchia-on-odyssey/OY07ROM-3274971603?sail-date=2023-08-13&currency=USD&country=USA&dates_maxDate=07%2F31%2F2023&dates_minDate=06%2F01%2F2023

About us:

We're in our early 30's, but we are old souls 😊.  We're planning on reading tons of books, eating good food, sitting by the pool, etc.  We drink, but not that much.  We're really excited about the historical sites included in this cruise.  I think of us as being pretty adaptable and fairly easy to please.  If the food isn't perfect or if the boat is a little crowded, it won't ruin our trip.  At the same time, when I read reviews like "we had to wait an hr or two to get a table each night" or "the pool was always too crowded to use" that gives me pause. 

We like the Holland America cruise because: 1. It hits Venice, Athens, and Ephesus, all of which are on our list of places we'd love to see, 2. Reviews seem to indicate that Holland America may provide a little better service, a little better food, and the ships may be less crowded.

We like the RCI cruise because 1. It hits Rome, Naples, and Ephesus, 2. The ship is new and looks beautiful.  While we are certainly old souls, we'd love to try all of the cool activities they've included.  It also looks like, although there would be a ton of people onboard, there are plenty of places to sit and read a book.

Please let me know what you think of these specific cruises, the cruise lines, the ships, any tips on booking the cruise, etc.  Thank you!  

I think the HAL option might be preferable :  while each has a great itinerary, I believe HAL  provides somewhat better service and food, but probably a bit weaker entertainment.  RCI is likely to be a bit more crowded - with a more active crowd:  Perhaps just symbolic: on our last RCI cruise the “library” consisted of about four feet of shelf space providing mainly frayed paperbacks.   HAL is likely to be more sedate - carrying a larger contingent of “old souls” (a good number of whom will still be chronologically well under 60).

Have fun planning this.  A couple thoughts - a Med cruise is very busy with long days in port so keep that in mind, for us itinerary is the key.  Be aware that cruise ships are not docking in Venice now, instead at Ravenna which is a long bus ride to Venice, perhaps really limiting your time in Venice.  Also consider that Europe can be very hot and crowded in July so longer port times are important to us.  Final consideration we learned, we prefer a smaller ship as the time spent entering and exiting the ship at port are much easier, quicker.  Not sure of your time constraints but there is a really nice 10 night cruise on the Celebrity Reflection Rome to Barcelona.  We have realized that if we are flying that many hours and at the current prices we want more time.  I would fly in 2 days early to Rome - time to get over the jet lag and enjoy Rome then add 2-3 days in Barcelona (we love exploring there) at the end before flying home.

• Like 2

I went on a HAC cruise with my wife when we were in our 30's as well. I tend to agree with the advice you have been given. If you don't see the activities on the cruise as being a high priority to you, and enjoy better food, HAC is likely a better choice. If, however, you are concerned that you may get on the cruise and decide you want a more active itinerary, then go with RCI. While you didn't bring up this option, if you want to go somewhere in between, Princess may be another option to consider.

Hope that helped.

Because they are so very port intensive with few sea days, the driving force for Med cruises is the itinerary. The second is how much time in port- longer is better. The ship and line comes in after that in importance. If the first 2 are a wash, I'd go for Holland America for better food and a less , um, energetic (?), on board experience. Trying hard to not offend the RCI fans here.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

I've cruised Holland and Royal Caribbean enough in the past few years to say with confidence that neither exceeds the other in service and dining.  I'd rate both exactly the same.  

I've also cruised Oosterdam and on sister ships to Odyssey.  There is no comparison in ships.  Quantum Class ships (Odyssey) are amazing.   

IMO, Rome is a bucket-lister.  Not that Venice isn't, but Rome is Rome.  All in all, I recommend the Royal Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I've cruised Holland and Royal Caribbean enough in the past few years to say with confidence that neither exceeds the other in service and dining.  I'd rate both exactly the same.  

I've also cruised Oosterdam and on sister ships to Odyssey.  There is no comparison in ships.  Quantum Class ships (Odyssey) are amazing.   

IMO, Rome is a bucket-lister.  Not that Venice isn't, but Rome is Rome.  All in all, I recommend the Royal Caribbean cruise.

To each his own - while the Quantum Class ships (5,600 passengers) are “amazing”, they are mob scenes.  Oosterdam is well laid out and her 2,200 passengers have a lot more room. I have sailed both lines enough to have a strong preference for the food and service on HAL.

However - Rome is a powerful draw - if this is likely to be your only Med experience, you should look at itinerary.  But do not think a day or so is enough — if Rome is you deciding factor, give it at least two or three days.

• Like 1

HAL is not what it used to be. They used to be a step up in service and dining but not anymore. Even pre-COVID, they started slipping. 

Itinerary and ship is a win win. Pick RCI on this one. 

I’ve cruised all but 1 Quantum Class ships and never did it feel like a mob scene. What a bunch of garbage.  🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’ve cruised all but 1 Quantum Class ships and never did it feel like a mob scene. What a bunch of garbage.  🙄

Agreed.  In Sep, I will have cruised Quantum Class 4 times in a row (after a very disappointing HAL cruise).  That would not be the case if I ever felt mobbed.  I hate crowds.  RCI is GREAT at crowd control.  HAL is good too.  It's NCL and Princess that I have felt uncomfortably crowded on board.  

Wow you guys are all so persuasive!  After the first post, I almost booked HAL.  Then I read the second post and saw the recommendation to consider Celebrity, which is a cruise line I hadn't looked into.  My brother went on a cruise with Celebrity and has really good things to say about them.  I found a Celebrity cruise and was ready to book it.  However, the Celebrity cruise had 2 days at sea and also hit Venice instead of Rome.  The several posts that mention that a Med cruise is really all about the itinerary (that totally makes sense to me - that's primarily why we're choosing Med over Caribbean) made me nix the Celebrity cruise.  Now there are several posts noting that Quantum class ships are awesome  🤦‍♂️.  My takeaway is that we probably can't go wrong?

Ok so we just made our decision!  We're going with an 11 night Italy, Turkey, and Greek Islands Celebrity cruise: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/11-night-italy-turkey-and-greek-islands-from-rome-civitavecchia-italy?packageID=RF11M238

We took into account the following feedback from you guys:

• It's all about the itinerary for a Med cruise - this hits multiple ports that we want to see
  • Don't miss Rome!  This cruise begins and ends in Rome.  Many of the other cruises I looked at started or ended at Ravenna.  I appreciated the fact that someone pointed out that this is actually a few hrs from Venice.
  • This cruise is on a new ship, which is one of the things that drew me to the RCI cruise
  • Celebrity seems like they provide really good food and service

Thanks again for the help!  If you have any other tips for first time cruisers, let us know!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boatsrfun said:

Ok so we just made our decision!  We're going with an 11 night Italy, Turkey, and Greek Islands Celebrity cruise: 

I think you made an excellent decision.  I prefer Celebrity over the other 2 and Reflection is a beautiful ship.  You're going to love that cruise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boatsrfun said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/11-night-italy-turkey-and-greek-islands-from-rome-civitavecchia-italy?packageID=RF11M238

We got what seemed like a really good deal from Direct Line Cruises (much cheaper than the deal on Celebrity's website).  

We took into account the following feedback from you guys:

• It's all about the itinerary for a Med cruise - this hits multiple ports that we want to see
  • Don't miss Rome!  This cruise begins and ends in Rome.  Many of the other cruises I looked at started or ended at Ravenna.  I appreciated the fact that someone pointed out that this is actually a few hrs from Venice.
  • This cruise is on a new ship, which is one of the things that drew me to the RCI cruise
  • Celebrity seems like they provide really good food and service

Thanks again for the help!  If you have any other tips for first time cruisers, let us know!!

One thing you need to know about Istanbul:  you arrive on Saturday and leave on Sunday.  If you book a tour which includes the Grand Bazaar, do it for Saturday because it is closed on Sunday.  
Also, click on the three little dots in the upper right corner of the post I quoted, and ask the mods to remove the name of your travel agency, as it is against the forum guidelines (you did read them?) to name or discuss travel agencies.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

One thing you need to know about Istanbul:  you arrive on Saturday and leave on Sunday.  If you book a tour which includes the Grand Bazaar, do it for Saturday because it is closed on Sunday.  
Also, click on the three little dots in the upper right corner of the post I quoted, and ask the mods to remove the name of your travel agency, as it is against the forum guidelines (you did read them?) to name or discuss travel agencies.  EM

I just reported my post.  Sorry about that!  Thanks for the suggestion on Istanbul.  Would you recomend seeing the Grand Bazaar?

2 hours ago, boatsrfun said:

I just reported my post.  Sorry about that!  Thanks for the suggestion on Istanbul.  Would you recomend seeing the Grand Bazaar?

Yes.  It's an amazing experience.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

To each his own -- itinerary (Rome) is important - but ship - good service and food helps  -- and 5,000 plus passengers does create something of a mob scene.  I might agree in this instance on Royal -- but service and crowding are valid  concerns - not to be dismissed as "garbage".

Hi Boastsrfun, 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

I would highly recommend you choose the Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas cruise. Odyssey is the newest Quantum Class ship and the first-ever in the Ultra-Class series. My wife and I cruise sister ship Anthem every February and it is absolutely Not a "mob scene" as referenced above. 

These ships are state of the art, contemporary with elegant, comfortable public spaces and array of unique specialty restaurants and plenty of on board attractions to keep you busy. 

If the choice was one of the newer HAL ships there might be some competition but, hands down you should pick the Odyssey of the Seas cruise and don't look back. You will have a fabulous time. 

Just noticed you chose the 11-night Celebrity Reflection cruise. Wise choice, longer cruise is always the right choice and Celebrity is a terrific cruise line. Reflection has recently been "Revolutionized" so practically like cruising on a new ship. 

Have a great time. 

Jonathan

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Hi Boastsrfun, 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

I would highly recommend you choose the Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas cruise. Odyssey is the newest Quantum Class ship and the first-ever in the Ultra-Class series. My wife and I cruise sister ship Anthem every February and it is absolutely Not a "mob scene" as referenced above. 

These ships are state of the art, contemporary with elegant, comfortable public spaces and array of unique specialty restaurants and plenty of on board attractions to keep you busy. 

If the choice was one of the newer HAL ships there might be some competition but, hands down you should pick the Odyssey of the Seas cruise and don't look back. You will have a fabulous time. 

Just noticed you chose the 11-night Celebrity Reflection cruise. Wise choice, longer cruise is always the right choice and Celebrity is a terrific cruise line. Reflection has recently been "Revolutionized" so practically like cruising on a new ship. 

Have a great time. 

Jonathan

Thanks!  I really wanted to experience Odyssey of the Seas.  We'll bookmark that for next time.  

Also, I just realized that I posted the wrong cruise 🤦‍♂️.  I posted the 2022 version which is on Reflection, whereas we'll be cruising in 2023 which is on "Celebrity Beyond":

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/11-night-italy-turkey-and-greek-islands-from-rome-civitavecchia-italy?packageID=BY11M263&sDT=2023-06-26&cCD=CO 

1 hour ago, boatsrfun said:

Thanks!  I really wanted to experience Odyssey of the Seas.  We'll bookmark that for next time.  

Also, I just realized that I posted the wrong cruise 🤦‍♂️.  I posted the 2022 version which is on Reflection, whereas we'll be cruising in 2023 which is on "Celebrity Beyond":

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/11-night-italy-turkey-and-greek-islands-from-rome-civitavecchia-italy?packageID=BY11M263&sDT=2023-06-26&cCD=CO 

Wow. You guys are in for a treat. The Edge Class ships are out of this world. Another cruising dimension altogether. If a sky class suite is in your budget you will never want to leave the ship. Either way you have an amazing cruise. 

Jonathan

1 hour ago, cruiserking said:

Wow. You guys are in for a treat. The Edge Class ships are out of this world. Another cruising dimension altogether. If a sky class suite is in your budget you will never want to leave the ship. Either way you have an amazing cruise. 

Jonathan

Wow, thanks!  We're stretching our budget a bit for this trip in general, so we booked an interior cabin.  But I'm glad to hear good things about the ship!  

• Like 1

I just tried to see what flights are going to cost us.  The deal that we got claims that we will get a certain amount off of our flights if we book them with Flights by Celebrity.  I tried to see how much a flight will cost, and it said there were no flights available.  Is that just because the trip is almost 12 months out?  Any tips on when we should book our flights?  Any tips on where in Rome we should stay?  The boat leaves on 6/26 in the evening, and so we're thinking we'll fly in either on 6/24 or 6/25.  

6 hours ago, boatsrfun said:

Oh man, your cruise just got even better.  Those new Celebrity Edge Class ships are stunning.  You're going to love that cruise.  Nice job!  Keep watching that pricing though.  I highly recommend upgrading to a balcony, especially since your cruise is so scenic.  Either way, enjoy your cruise!

3 hours ago, boatsrfun said:

I just tried to see what flights are going to cost us.  The deal that we got claims that we will get a certain amount off of our flights if we book them with Flights by Celebrity.  I tried to see how much a flight will cost, and it said there were no flights available.  Is that just because the trip is almost 12 months out?  Any tips on when we should book our flights?  Any tips on where in Rome we should stay?  The boat leaves on 6/26 in the evening, and so we're thinking we'll fly in either on 6/24 or 6/25.  

Definitely fly in early, like on the 24th.  That way you'll have that evening and all of the 25th to explore Rome.  You'll be glad you did.  

Meanwhile, check out the ports of call section of these boards.  There is tons of advice on hotels and port transportation in Rome.  Here's a link:

Italy Ports - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by Aquahound

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, boatsrfun said:

Most airlines open up their airfares 330 days before the flight.  To ensure they are open, start looking for airfare 330 days before your DISEMBARKATION date or the day you want to fly home, whichever is later.