Live - Gem 10th July 2022 from Venice (Trieste).

ziggyuk

10 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

I found it easier to just take the bus, as there is no train-station at the airport.

That is our plan as well...only hangup could be - when does our flight actually arrive and how long to clear customs? I don't want to book too early and miss the bus or book too late and sit around the airport for 1 or 2 (or 3) extra hours...but I seem to recall from our last trip customs was pretty quick so 🤞

• Like 1

In Dubrovnik you are quite a long way out from the old town, NCL off a shuttle for $15 (return) pp.

A cab is 15 euro each way and much faster and convenient, for two people it's the same cost but if you are a group of 4 it would be so much better.

The only advantage of the shuttle is you can make multiple trips if you want but we didn't want to return to the ship until we were done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brian V said:

That is our plan as well...only hangup could be - when does our flight actually arrive and how long to clear customs? I don't want to book too early and miss the bus or book too late and sit around the airport for 1 or 2 (or 3) extra hours...but I seem to recall from our last trip customs was pretty quick so 🤞

When we landed at Marco Polo, there was a shuttle from the airplane to the terminal. This all took around half an hour, including time to wait for full plane to empty. It took us no longer than another half an hour to get through customs. Our case had been checked in the night before using ‘BA twilight check in’ so they were the first cases out. 
We pre-booked the bus transfer with NCL, as part of our package, and the process was trouble free. We didn’t need to worry about timings as there were plenty of buses going back and forward from the ship.
There was a NCL rep, just outside baggage collection, and they took us to a waiting area ready for the next bus. The wait was not many minutes and the bus journey took around an hour and 45 minutes. 
Hope this helps!

On 7/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, ziggyuk said:

I have to say I'm a bit unhappy with the wine choice in the MDR.

Only one white available just Chardonnay and that's your lot.

This is true throughout the ship even in the speciality restaurants. I had the last bottle of dry rose from La Cuccina last night! Supply of drinks and food is a real issue onboard. In must be a nightmare for those managing this but not great for the customer either! There aren’t many decent beers to chose from, one white wine, two rose (dry and sweet) and a few reds. I was told by one of the managers that it was due to lack of production during the pandemic. So demand outweighs the supply. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

In Dubrovnik you are quite a long way out from the old town, NCL off a shuttle for $15 (return) pp.

A cab is 15 euro each way and much faster and convenient, for two people it's the same cost but if you are a group of 4 it would be so much better.

The only advantage of the shuttle is you can make multiple trips if you want but we didn't want to return to the ship until we were done.

Yes that is what we always do (2 persons) - take a taxi as it is the same price as taking the NCL shuttle.

14 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Did you try the BlackBerry Bourbon Smash? Maybe it's not your thing.

Definitely go to the mojito bar, almost everything there is good.

The mojito bar is great and a lot of people never find it, I will try your recommendations tonight 😊

• Like 1

I forgot to say Blazing Boots was cancelled at short notice the night before last and they put on a variety show featuring all the other performers instead.

It won't take place on this cruise now.

50 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I forgot to say Blazing Boots was cancelled at short notice the night before last and they put on a variety show featuring all the other performers instead.

It won't take place on this cruise now.

Also Deal or No Deal was cancelled as not enough participants! The ship really is half empty! 

• Like 1

Day 5 

IMG_20220714_133002.thumb.jpg.cd52d7305a4d0984a721ba666172ee87.jpg

6 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Also Deal or No Deal was cancelled as not enough participants! The ship really is half empty! 

It's not all bad.

We won first and second prizes on the shuffleboard as we were the only entrants 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

When we landed at Marco Polo, there was a shuttle from the airplane to the terminal.

Ah, guessing you fly in "Day of Cruise" - not really an option for your Commonwealth cousins from across the pond😎

23:00 of hustling suitcases and standing in lines from out front door to getting to the pier - first evening and likely second day on board are going to be a write off at that point😞

Not to mention what happens if our flight cancels or is seriously delayed 🤬

Going to guess NCL does NOT do a shuttle the day before?

The train on the way back is much better, it's the end of the line so we got here early and had the pick of the seats with 30 minutes until departure.

Could still be busy later but at least we have our luggage in the overhead and seats together.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Interesting.... I thought it would be the other way 'round.  I expected that everyone would rush off the ship this morning at 8am to catch the train, whereas on the ship's departure day people would have been arriving at different times thoughout the day.

Thanks for taking the time to write this report. Greatly appreciated.  .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

For anyone getting on today, we docked at the main city centre cruise terminal at Trieste so there will be no need for a shuttle.

IMG_20220715_090718.thumb.jpg.2c25d3be2136cce86ea51a73fbf7d328.jpg

Great photo!

I didn't realize that your cruise was only 5 days/nights and that the next one will be 9 days/nights and then finally "my cruise" that will be 7 days/nights. Until today I somehow thought all the Gem cruises this summer were 7 days cruises....

Anyway - thank you for posting photos/info during your cruise!

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Interesting.... I thought it would be the other way 'round.  I expected that everyone would rush off the ship this morning at 8am to catch the train, whereas on the ship's departure day people would have been arriving at different times thoughout the day.

Thanks for taking the time to write this report. Greatly appreciated.  .

We hung around to take the 12.10 train, it was still very busy later with people standing.

8 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

I didn't realize that your cruise was only 5 days/nights and that the next one will be 9 days/nights and then finally "my cruise" that will be 7 days/nights. Until today I somehow thought all the Gem cruises this summer were 7 days cruises....

Yes, this was a cheeky short one for us, we were on our last cruise 4 weeks ago and this was the third of 4 this year..... We are really making up for lost time 😂

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, ziggyuk said:

At one point it was 2.5 hour delay but they pulled that back to 1.5 hours late.

That was yesterday, today is the ship.

This has been a great review. Leaving on Sept 4th. Two days pre cruise in Venice, than the train down to Trieste the day before,(have already booked). Will overnight in Trieste and cab it to the port. Hopefully ship will be a little more lively. 

• Like 1