Silver Sea problems

sukiepine

What was supposed to be a celebration of my husband's retirement and our wedding anniversary turned into a sad experience. The Silver Shadow ship  we boarded in  Seward, Alaska was not mechanically ready to sail after 6 months in dry dock. There was a smell of sewage near the elevators. The boat broke down twice which caused us to miss a port and the Inside Passage. Due to the breakdown, we missed our flight out of Vancouver. The response  by the cruise line was terse and unsympathetic.

We have cruised other high-end cruise lines and have never experienced such disregard. 

I believe this was the cruise right before mine on the Shadow, as we lost a day because the ship was late arriving into Vancouver.

How did Silversea try to make amends?  They did a number of things for us, including discount for a future cruise, onboard credit, etc.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 3:14 PM, sukiepine said:

We have cruised other high-end cruise lines and have never experienced such disregard. 

Sad situation!!  Appreciate this sharing.  The re-enforces in my mind why you want to avoid sailing on any ship when it is too "new", either after being built and/or when coming out of a major re-building.  In many cases, all of the "bugs" are not worked out and/or the staff has not gotten fully into their routines.  It takes time for the staff to be fully practiced to make thing happening at the highest, expected levels of service.  

Also, the Shadow is an older ship and those system can require more time to fix and fine-tune.  Good luck to future Silver Shadow passengers.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,604 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kirbyangus said:

Rothko1I was also on your cruise. How did you get the information for fcc and the others that you mentioned. I have not gotten an notification on any restitution other than the onboard credit. 

Thanks! 

There was a letter from the Captain in our cabin when we arrived onboard.  Apologizing and offering the $300 per person onboard credit and the 30% future cruise credit.  

We booked another cruise while onboard, and the Voyage Confirmation contains both the "On Board Savings" (the 5% discount for booking onboard) and a fairly substantial "Customer Relations Adjustment", which I think is the 30% future cruise credit ("FCC").  We discussed the FCC with the sales agent aboard the Shadow. 

My understanding is that the FCC is 30% of the cruise portion of the amount paid for the Vancouver/Seward cruise.  Not 30% off any future cruise.  In other words, it is based on what you paid for the cruise portion of the cruise you took - you get 30% of that as a discount on a future cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kirbyangus said:

Is that 30% of the booking price or the original price? We got that cruise at a lower price with fcc and early booking 

I think it is based on whatever you paid for the cruise.