Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 28

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 11 and Sunday, July 17.

How many days since you last took a picture? 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Linoleum floors. Worn formica tabletops. Padded booth seats. A chalkboard daily special menu hanging on the wall. The diner we stopped at on Sunday was not much different than a couple dozen others we can recall. You get the feeling that if you rolled the clock back a handful of decades, the look wouldn’t change much other than the patron’s clothes and the cars parked out front. Ask “what’s good” and you’ll probably get good advice. The menus are seldom more than a couple of pages and usually list calorie counts as “available on demand”. We don’t demand. We go to diners for comfort food, and we know there are commas in the numbers. A country skillet with gravy is worth a comma or two.

Time Machine

1728158870_2022-28TimeMachine.thumb.jpg.417bec5b4b87232b535dfb8acaff8039.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Headed out to the wetlands again this past weekend...it's really weighing the ups vs downs - the heat and humidity are oppressive and disgusting, but at the same time, there are so few people there that I almost have the entire wetland to myself...and the critters.

I normally walk right past the nature center at the entrance to the wetlands trails and boardwalks, but this time I stopped in to cool off and grab some water before heading out - and while in there, decided to take a shot at the cute baby alligators in the tank:

original.jpg

A lovely juvenile pied-billed grebe looking quite fluffy:

original.jpg

And speaking of juveniles...this freshly hatched moorhen chick was straying out on its own - at least for such a small chick - mom was about 8 feet away keeping an eye out:
original.jpg

I heard lots of small birds in the trees calling out in alarm, and when I looked up, I saw why - a Cooper's hawk was circling high overhead, looking for any birds not paying enough attention to become lunch:

original.jpg

A black-necked stilt mom (background) was taking one of her chicks out for a flight - the chicks had only just started flying in the past week or so:

original.jpg

This gaudy and bold fellow is one of Florida's favorite birds - the roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

Closeup with a green iguana:

original.jpg

One of the juvenile black-necked stilts feeding in the mud flats:

original.jpg

Very close up with a double-crested cormorant:

original.jpg

• Like 7

Well, i put my kookaburra pictures in the wrong week. Now we have a little epee fencing captured on the way home on Sunday afternoon  I  used to fence, so was allowed to have some close up action.

Fencing1.thumb.jpg.1e230d95966e26d1c6405e6dfd71a9d7.jpg

Fencing2.thumb.jpg.9eb41cf08998f61e3184a52d0134dd1b.jpg

Fencing3.thumb.jpg.db127fc473d1cde67a9b27a03f3398b9.jpg

Fencing4.thumb.jpg.257473b8c858772c3bc089ef544b7b70.jpg

Fencing5.thumb.jpg.900b6ec18664e2fd8074c57f528dfaf7.jpg

• Like 4

Still no cruises in our future but we did get up to Oregon last week to enjoy some cooler weather and explore the coast.  My original idea was to shoot the Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach with the sun setting behind it but parking and beach access issues made me rethink it so I went down the coast a bit and worked with the late day light coming from the side as the sunset and mother nature tossed in some pretty clouds too.

ccstacks.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...