Are tests with CVS Pharmacy acceptable to board in Brooklyn?

ace2542

1 hour ago, gentlemancruiser said:

will I be able to use a printed test results from Shoppers

Assuming Shoppers can meet the following qualifications (from the Cunard Preparing to Sail page), then yes. This is a long list of requirements. My experience has been that the important data points are: date of the test, the type of test, that the document clearly refers to the bearer, and the results (obviously)

Definition of a medically observed test.

All guests must use a medically observed self-test that meets the criteria below. Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted.

The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test). If you’re traveling with children aged between five and 11 years who aren’t vaccinated, they will be required to take an observed PCR test.

The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection.

The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative Covid-19 test.

Accepted antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test.
  • Viral antigen test.
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence.

NAAT tests include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction.
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real-time PCR.
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR).
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test.
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test.

What is acceptable proof of my negative Covid-19 test result?
The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative Covid-19 test: paper negative Covid-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed Covid-19 test results; or record of Covid-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative Covid-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test).
  • A specimen collection date within 2 days before cruise departure.
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including (and not limited to): Negative; undetectable; SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected; SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected; Covid-19 not detected; Not reactive.
  • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

3 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

I live in Canada, will I be able to use a printed test results from Shoppers?   

You should be fine. As long as it's an observed test/administered test, which I believe the Shoppers tests are. 

When I did my Alaska cruise in late April, I did a PCR test through a private clinic (FH Health) because I was flying to Vancouver the morning of the day before my cruise, and at the time, PCR was within 3 days of cruise departure, while RAT was within 1 day, and I didn't want to arrive in Vancouver and then test positive. 

When I fly to London in November, a week before getting on QM2, I'll be doing a RAT at home before flying, and taking some tests with me, and then test depending on the testing regime in effect at the time. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, frankp01 said:

They were both in Philadelphia. For the most recent trip, in July, because I was in NYC for a few days before boarding, I considered getting tested in NY. I opted, instead, to get tested at home, because I found a location very close to home.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the testing locations known to accommodate non-US travellers.

Hello, sorry to ask you this but my understanding is that travelers need to get tested within 2 days of embarkation in Brooklyn. So, if you were tested close to home in Philadelphia and then went to NYC to spend a few days before your trip, how could you be tested within the required time period? I'm just trying to understand how this works for a potential future crossing from NYC.

1 hour ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

how could you be tested within the required time period?

That Philadelphia is only an hour from New York makes it easy. We were tested at 9AM on June 29th. We took the train to NY that day, so we had the 29th, 30th and the 1st in New York. We boarded the QM2 on July 1st, so our test *was* within two days of sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

That Philadelphia is only an hour from New York makes it easy. We were tested at 9AM on June 29th. We took the train to NY that day, so we had the 29th, 30th and the 1st in New York. We boarded the QM2 on July 1st, so our test *was* within two days of sailing.

I see thank you. That's where the term "within two days of sailing" would have confused me. I would have thought that the actual day of sailing counted towards the 2 days and therefore a test done on the 29th was withing 3 days and not 2. 

55 minutes ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

I see thank you. That's where the term "within two days of sailing" would have confused me. I would have thought that the actual day of sailing counted towards the 2 days and therefore a test done on the 29th was withing 3 days and not 2. 

Well, if the rule was "within one day" that would mean on June 30th for a July 1st embarkaction, wouldn't it?

So "within two days" would mean on June 29th, as Frank said. Hope that reassures you.

I have 5 fingers on one hand but there are only 4 gaps between them - same principle.

Also:"On the first day of our holiday we got onboard. The second day we rested, and on the third day the ship stopped at our first port. On that third day we were only two days out from when we got on."

Edited by bbtablet

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

If I'm incorrect I'm sure someone will chime in. Generally, PCR tests are more accurate than Antigen tests. Since Cunard specifies Antigen, I would think PCR exceeds the minimum requirement.

Would Cunard question where you had the test done? Like why you chose that branch of CVS?

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Would Cunard question where you had the test done?

Assuming you had a valid test result from a legitimate testing location, why would they question it?  Honestly, given the caliber of staffer who screens that information (not to be insulting, but they're not detectives) and that there are so many testing locations that I'm not sure they'd know when or how to question a location.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Assuming you had a valid test result from a legitimate testing location, why would they question it?  Honestly, given the caliber of staffer who screens that information (not to be insulting, but they're not detectives) and that there are so many testing locations that I'm not sure they'd know when or how to question a location.

As long as the Travel Certificate looks very legit and contains the information they are look for and at. I think there are some common names they would recognize.  All the fields should be completely filled in.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:42 PM, frankp01 said:

Are you sure I will be able to test at CVS as UK National?

28 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Are you sure I will be able to test at CVS as UK National?

I believe so. But there are cheaper places than CVS. If you are paying the test fee, CVS charges $139. But, more importantly, if I search for a location on Manhattan, there are none. This map shows the closest testing locations to New York, with the red arrow pointing to Manhattan.

CVS NY Testing Locations.jpg

12 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I believe so. But there are cheaper places than CVS. If you are paying the test fee, CVS charges $139. But, more importantly, if I search for a location on Manhattan, there are none. This map shows the closest testing locations to New York, with the red arrow pointing to Manhattan.

CVS NY Testing Locations.jpg

215 Park Avenue South? And 298 mullberry? according to google?

Edited by ace2542

It looks like the 215 Park Ave S location does testing, but only if covered by insurance. Using the CVS scheduling website, when the method of payment is "private pay" that location doesn't appear. It's not an issue of nationality but payment. I don't know why CVS would care. I just checked for Philadelphia. There are 20 locations near me that do testing. If I specify that I am paying out of pocket I'm told by the CVS website that there are no locations within 100 miles of my location.

10 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

It looks like the 215 Park Ave S location does testing, but only if covered by insurance. Using the CVS scheduling website, when the method of payment is "private pay" that location doesn't appear. It's not an issue of nationality but payment. I don't know why CVS would care. I just checked for Philadelphia. There are 20 locations near me that do testing. If I specify that I am paying out of pocket I'm told by the CVS website that there are no locations within 100 miles of my location.

CVS facebook page replied to a message that we can book the test upon arrival in NYC. DId you try to walk in an book in in person at any of them? I will just door stop them and chance my arm.

Edited by ace2542

> DId you try to walk in an book in in person at any of them

I've not had the chance. I'll try and stop by the location where I had my test done and ask if I can pay out of pocket. I'd like to find out what private pay clients aren't seen.

13 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

> DId you try to walk in an book in in person at any of them

I've not had the chance. I'll try and stop by the location where I had my test done and ask if I can pay out of pocket. I'd like to find out what private pay clients aren't seen.

We don't get to nyc till Thursday. I am sure they will do it I am sure they won't care if you paying them.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

we can book the test upon arrival in NYC. DId you try to walk in an book in in person at any of them?

I just booked one of my second vaccination jabs for later this afternoon. I'll ask while I'm there about the availability for both UK nationals and those paying 'out of pocket'.

• Thanks 1

Well, I don't have much of an answer for you. While at the CVS clinic I asked why that location did not appear in the CVS booking engine if I were paying out of pocket. The nurse practitioner that was handling my injection said "I don't know".  I asked "if I had said I wanted to pay for this visit with a credit card would I have been turned away". She said 'No'. So, while you can't book a private pay visit, it appears you could still be seen, even if you are paying for the visit yourself. Finally, "Could a non-US national get tested for COVID". Again - 'I don't know'. This makes the nurse I was seeing sound like a dummy. She's not new there... I've seen her before, on visits at least a year ago. And she has great technique when it comes to injections. Unfortunately, I was raising issues with which she just hasn't had to deal. So that doesn't make things much clearer for you. You do have to have an appointment to be seen at a CVS clinic, but you can make an appointment by walking in. All I can say is 'good luck'.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Well, I don't have much of an answer for you. While at the CVS clinic I asked why that location did not appear in the CVS booking engine if I were paying out of pocket. The nurse practitioner that was handling my injection said "I don't know".  I asked "if I had said I wanted to pay for this visit with a credit card would I have been turned away". She said 'No'. So, while you can't book a private pay visit, it appears you could still be seen, even if you are paying for the visit yourself. Finally, "Could a non-US national get tested for COVID". Again - 'I don't know'. This makes the nurse I was seeing sound like a dummy. She's not new there... I've seen her before, on visits at least a year ago. And she has great technique when it comes to injections. Unfortunately, I was raising issues with which she just hasn't had to deal. So that doesn't make things much clearer for you. You do have to have an appointment to be seen at a CVS clinic, but you can make an appointment by walking in. All I can say is 'good luck'.

I will chance my arm and walk in off the street to Park Ave South. Thanks for the help. On facebook CVS just confirmed I can pay $139 a pop. Thanks for the help if we ever cruise together I buy you a beer.

Edited by ace2542
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:59 AM, ace2542 said:

I will chance my arm and walk in off the street to Park Ave South. Thanks for the help. On facebook CVS just confirmed I can pay $139 a pop. Thanks for the help if we ever cruise together I buy you a beer.

Hi, if you are still looking for a test,I have just arranged to use On Point video observed antigen tests.They were very helpful,can set up a zoom link  ,appts available 24hrs/day/7 days $18.99 pp and bring your own Uk govt approved test with a CE stamp

8 hours ago, hope2 said:

,I have just arranged to use On Point video observed antigen test

Monitor your emails from OnPoint closely. There's a YouTube video posting from someone who had booked two OnPoint tests. Their tests were originally scheduled for 10AM. Overnight, before their test, they received an email from OnPoint moving the tests to 8AM. Since that email arrived overnight, they didn't see it. They sat down for their Zoom call at 10 and learned that, because their appointment had been rescheduled, they were now out of luck. Fortunately, they had a backup plan, which involved an in-person test. OnPoint seems like a great service, but they may have some scheduling hiccups.