Port/Hotel Transfers

Sailwithbars

Hello all,

Can't wait for our cruise in September! Anyone know how much the typical taxi fare is in Tahiti and Fiji?  Is it recommended to set up Transfers in advance or just wing it on the day of? I'd imagine we'll probably need some cash if we decide to wing it, I'd love to know in advance how much we'll need at least. Thanks in advance for any info! 

PPT Airport to Hilton

Lautoka Port to Denarau Hotel

Denarau Hotel to Fiji Airport

If anyone can recommend/has had good experience with Transportation company, would love to know this as well. Thank you! 

In Tahiti the fare is 1000 xpf to start and then 130 xpf for each km, with an additional charge of 100 xpf per piece of luggage.  PPT to Hilton should be about $20 USD.  Fares after 8 pm through 6 am have a 1000 xpf surchage and a slightly higher rate per km.  For the PPT airport no need to set up anything in advance.  Taxis are readily available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, FlightMedic555 said:

In Tahiti the fare is 1000 xpf to start and then 130 xpf for each km, with an additional charge of 100 xpf per piece of luggage.  PPT to Hilton should be about $20 USD.  Fares after 8 pm through 6 am have a 1000 xpf surchage and a slightly higher rate per km.  For the PPT airport no need to set up anything in advance.  Taxis are readily available.

Thank you for this helpful info! I assume we’d need XPF for the taxi. But wondering if they might take credit cards. (Kind of doubt it, but curious)

17 minutes ago, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Thank you! I wouldn’t have expected that USD would be accepted. 

I've never had a taxi say no to USD but I always ask before jumping into the car. Most use a phone app that converts. They prefer USD as it is so strong currently against the XPF 😉

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I see from the FAQ that PG allows passengers to disembark in Papeete any time after 7:30pm the night before the cruise officially ends. Has anyone done this, and do you anticipate any issues getting a taxi from the cruise terminal to PPT airport at 9:30 pm or so on a Friday night? Would it be better to pre-book a transfer?

• 2 weeks later...

We have also disembarked the night before.   I was a bit sad to leave the ship early but it worked out very well!  We did ask the ship to call a taxi for us just to be sure that we didn't run into a problem with that but it is just a short walk to a taxi pick up location if you don't want to pay the small fee to have the ship call you a taxi to meet you basically right at the ship (well...the fee was small before Ponant took over, I suppose that could've changed).  All we missed on the ship was a night of sleeping and a breakfast and it was well worth leaving the ship early and missing that to have the convenience of heading straight to the airport from the ship. 

On our first PG cruise we disembarked on disembarkation day and then took that super late flight and we both felt like it was just a totally wasted day and not enjoyable.  We'd packed up from the ship and knew our flights were that night so mentally vacation was over.  I think even if we'd have planned for a more entertaining day, it still would've felt like a long day of waiting.  Things would maybe be different if we were retired or had jobs with loads of paid vacation; in those situations we'd probably find a way to do a better job of relaxing and enjoying those last hours.  But we own a small business that we have to fully close when we are away. Each extra day away is costly for us (and stressful for my husband) so we want the days we are away to really count and not feel like a waste. 

We do this routinely. Upside is missing the entire disembarkation day (which tends to be a real drag) with only downside being missing the professional dance troop show that night. Last year, Ponant charge for transfer for two people from pier to airport which departed pier at 8:30 pm was $98.

• 3 months later...

Air France has a flight that departs at 0730 AM, has anyone left the ship 5 am-ish to make that morning flight? If you could leave the night before, don't see any issues leaving very early in the morning, would taxis be available and/or does the ship/Ponant offer an early morning transfer?

13 minutes ago, helo driver said:

Air France has a flight that departs at 0730 AM, has anyone left the ship 5 am-ish to make that morning flight? If you could leave the night before, don't see any issues leaving very early in the morning, would taxis be available and/or does the ship/Ponant offer an early morning transfer?

You can disembark at any time after the PG arrives in Papeete. And yes, you can leave very early in the morning. They offer a transfer to the airport at 4:00 am, probably for that Air France flight. We're taking a flight that leaves at 8:20 am, so we'll be departing very early as well. We'll probably arrange for a cab rather than take their transfer, since we don't need to leave at 4:00 am.

From the PG's FAQ:

On French Polynesia cruises with Paul Gauguin Cruises, can I disembark in Papeete, Tahiti, when the ship arrives in the evening, rather than waiting until morning? 

The m/s Paul Gauguin arrives in Papeete at 7:30 pm. Guests may disembark at any time afterward by first checking out at the reception desk to finalize their own board account.

Thank you both for the valuable responses! Last time we did PG was in 2017 and it was pretty much turn key from LAX including flights/transfers/day rooms, seems all of that can be arranged but at a significant additional cost. I don't mind making my own arrangements particularly with the help from members of this board. Sounds like the ship is still as wonderful as it was in 2017 (this was my favorite vacation of all time) .... can't want to be back aboard next spring!

• Like 1