Are US dollars accepted in Canada?

vivienne-j

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not in the "good old days".

Ah, the good old days  😍 ..... back in the 70's; white suits, platform shoes,  disco dancing up a storm just like Travolta and without throwing out my back, or ankle, or my hip. And Johnny and I both had hair back them. Yep, definitely the good old days! 

• 2 weeks later...

Can use your debit card if work on interact.  One of my cards did not work in US last time I went precovid so I moved money to CIBC account as card is interlink enabled and works in Europe and US.  However get hit with bank exchange rate.  Visa nd MC work but Amex my not be accepted.  As so many stated US may not be accepted or get poor exchange but generally touristy areas get alot of Yanks so more acceptance.  Encourage to get some canuck bucks in US as may not get as great a rate up here.  Why give 30%lsh more, or whatever current rate is.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

We’re visiting Vancouver overnight before a cruise. There will be a couple occasions where we will be tipping in cash. Since the exchange rate is favorable for US citizens, would those we are tipping prefer we use US dollars? 

No.

They will accept it, without saying anything, but no one goes into a bank these days, and it’s not usable without exchanging it. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

We’re visiting Vancouver overnight before a cruise. There will be a couple occasions where we will be tipping in cash. Since the exchange rate is favorable for US citizens, would those we are tipping prefer we use US dollars? 

If you are going to tip $25 USD or $25 CAD, I'm sure that most would prefer the USD given the current exchange rate.  Vancouver has a lot of US visitors and USD are quite common in the service community. And no one is going to object to making an occasional visit to a bank given the higher value of the tip. Or maybe they'll just keep it for their next trip to the US.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2022 at 7:29 AM, Crystabel said:

As a Metro Vancouver resident, I'll suggest everyone will accept US Dollars graciously, but many will prefer Canadian dollars. Yes, the exchange rate is about 30%, but most will only receive 25 - 27% from a bank for exchanging small amounts. Unless you are providing considerable tips, the extra money received is minimal, plus they have to take the time to go to a bank or currency exchange.

If you are providing a tip, to reward someone for exceptional service, I'll suggest that making them have to exchange the cash negates part of the reward.

We are close to the border, but cross border travel is still way down, with very few of our friends heading south these days, for day trips.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, Fouremco said:

If you are going to tip $25 USD or $25 CAD, I'm sure that most would prefer the USD given the current exchange rate.  Vancouver has a lot of US visitors and USD are quite common in the service community. And no one is going to object to making an occasional visit to a bank given the higher value of the tip. Or maybe they'll just keep it for their next trip to the US.

And if they don't want to make a trip to the bank, or are not going to the States anytime soon, they can simply send the cash to me and I'll send them Canuck bucks in return. Of course my exchange rate is very reasonable - for each U.S. $1 bill I'll send them a shiny new fancy coin with a loon on it. 

If I can get all the servers in Vancouver to send me their U.S. greenback tips at this exchange rate, I can change my screen name to FilthyRichDawg! 😁

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2022 at 4:29 AM, CDNPolar said:

Yes and no.  Depends on where you are.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal - probably most places will accept them, but don't automatically expect exchange rate.  There is no requirement to give you exchange, and you will only ever get Canadian money as change.

Also, don't just routinely expect that all stores or coffee shops will accept them.  They may not.

There is no universal rule.  Canada is proudly not the USA or "America".

American dollars are accepted in Calgary but you will pay a premium. Best to change your money at a currency exchange at an airport. Americans don't accept Canadian dollars at all so unwise American tourists are open game.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CalgaryMac said:

Americans don't accept Canadian dollars at all 

Not sure if you are meaning this literally but there are a few businesses in Blaine that accept Canadian dollars and Bellis Fair has had promos in the past accepting Canadian dollars.  Definitely not the same degree of acceptance the other way around though. 🙂