Need recommendations for next booking

100Countries

We have cruised with Ponant twice and used a travel agency for expedition cruises.  They did a great job on the first expedition cruise and were worse than awful for the second expedition cruise.  We are planning to book two new Ponant expedition cruises.  (We have cruised about 28 times with a different cruise line, but typically book direct).  Looking for opinions/experiences on booking direct with Ponant, or with an expedition travel agency, or with our small town travel agency with no Ponant experience, or with national cruise travel agency.  

What has worked for you? all opinions welcome!

We have booked through an agency for our expedition cruises.

mainly because we’ve been offered between 3-5% discount.

There doesn’t seem to be any incentive to book direct.

In saying that I book everything with Ponant and then transfer the booking to a TA once I know all my discounts have been applied correctly.

• Like 1

Gogo65 thank you for your reply.  Spent several days surfing the internet with large online & discount agencies, local agents, etc.  It took a couple of days but found an agent that specialized in expedition cruises and had taken several themself. 

I like working with my travel agent for everything. I pay her a flat fee every year and then she is paid a bonus on what she produces I think is how it works. She is a big networker and we have gotten incredible upgrades because we work through her and she has these relationships everywhere. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, lynn-in-nc said:

I like working with my travel agent for everything. I pay her a flat fee every year and then she is paid a bonus on what she produces I think is how it works. She is a big networker and we have gotten incredible upgrades because we work through her and she has these relationships everywhere. 

I would love to find a TA in Canada like that.  So far my experience with the TA's I found was frustrating (still had to do all the research etc and just told them what to do).    Glad you found a good one.