Best destinations when using a mobility scooter

My mobility limited wife and I just took our first cruise (Alaska) and loved it.  But we also realized we got a bit lucky with a destination that was scooter friendly.  There were no tender ports, towns were easy to navigate, and there were plenty of excursions that could accommodate someone with mobility limitations.  After we booked the cruise, I started reading more and realized that some destinations would have been much more challenging.

So, I am looking for recommendations for our next cruise.  What are other destinations that are scooter friendly?  And yes, I know with some work that any destination is possible. But I don't want to work; I am on vacation!  And pushing a wheelchair around, constantly lifting scooters off curbs, etc., is not how I want to spend it.  Plus, my wife likes the independence her scooter provides and doesn't want to rely on me all day.

Conversely, are there any places/ports to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to CC (Cruise Critic).

It would be helpful if you could give us some information about flying: For example, are you willing to fly and where are you willing to fly to? 

We like Norway. We are a non flying family (for medical reasons) and sail out of Southampton. We have found Norway is more wheelchair friendly than some other countries we have sailed to.

It also depends on the scooter too, I have a travelscoot, which on past cruises has been allowed on tenders. And whether you can go up and down the steps to the tender, possibly in slightly rough seas. 
Definitely the worst place I’ve been for accessibility is Santorini, I have been a few times when I was more mobile. I’m sure that with private arrangements or with a folding wheelchair it’s probably possible, but very difficult. 
The easiest are Spanish cities such as Barcelona and Alicante: accessible public transport and lowered curbs. The lack of lowered curbs in the U.K. and Europe is the main problem. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ramblin and Gamblin said:

My mobility limited wife and I just took our first cruise (Alaska) and loved it.  But we also realized we got a bit lucky with a destination that was scooter friendly.  There were no tender ports, towns were easy to navigate, and there were plenty of excursions that could accommodate someone with mobility limitations.  After we booked the cruise, I started reading more and realized that some destinations would have been much more challenging.

So, I am looking for recommendations for our next cruise.  What are other destinations that are scooter friendly?  And yes, I know with some work that any destination is possible. But I don't want to work; I am on vacation!  And pushing a wheelchair around, constantly lifting scooters off curbs, etc., is not how I want to spend it.  Plus, my wife likes the independence her scooter provides and doesn't want to rely on me all day.

Thanks in advance.

We found Norway amazing and stress free as small ports and mobility equipment friendly. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  To address your questions, we don't have any limitations flying.

Regarding our scooter, we have a Pride Revo 2, which we would take to ports within driving distance in the Southern US.  Anywhere else, we would rent.  The Pride GoGo seems to be a common rental, and is what we used on the Alaskan cruise.  I think both would be allowed on a tender but would have to be disassembled.  

My wife can handle short distances on flat ground and a few steps.  Rough seas would definitely be a challenge.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, Bloodgem said:

Hi and welcome to CC (Cruise Critic).

It would be helpful if you could give us some information about flying: For example, are you willing to fly and where are you willing to fly to? 

We like Norway. We are a non flying family (for medical reasons) and sail out of Southampton. We have found Norway is more wheelchair friendly than some other countries we have sailed to.

Too bad Norway has been posting signs saying cruisers aren’t wanted there.  😪

On 7/20/2022 at 3:48 PM, Ramblin and Gamblin said:

Thanks in advance.

I have sailed around the world......and traveled around the world, and my wife is in a scooter.  Just about every island in the Caribbean, Alaska, China, Japan, and all of Europe and Morocco.  As she stands up, your job is to lift the chair up the curb or step.  Vacation or not, it's your job.  Sorry.  Next, there is no place to avoid, since all places will have a challenge.  Next get a scooter that you can manage, and travel with.  Many light weight travel scooters on the market.  Ours is 54 pounds.  

The only port to avoid is a tender port.  All others are fine. 

• Like 1

Disney is about the only place to go where you are likely to not have to lift your scooter, but do be careful about driving off the curb or into the curbs! 

Unfortunately, obstacles come with the territory of scooters and wheelchairs. I second the idea of “deal with it.”

Our first cruise with my husband on a scooter was in 2008 (I think) to the Med. We didn't know what we didn't know, for sure! We did Ephesus with the scooter- that's got to be the hardest place we've ever been with it. But...he got to see it and for that I will be forever grateful.

We've been on lots of cruises since then and find it such a wonderful way to travel. Husband can walk short distances (up to a short city block if he has to), and do a few steps if needed. We've never been denied a tender, but we understand that could always happen. But we won't go down without a fight- we did once have to get a supervisor. We use a Pride gogo 4 wheel heavy duty and can disassemble and reassemble it ourselves. I'm willing and able thank goodness to do whatever is necessary to make his experience as high quality as possible. And he's willing to stay behind and let me do a few things that he can't. So overall, we are blessed in many ways and love traveling. I hope we get to do lots more! 

• Like 1