Help with ladies Informal attire

broker1217

I am looking for specific guidance for ladies informal attire.

We are doing 12 night transatlantic in 2023 and it is our first time on SS. Have done Crystal and Viking and understand that folks dress up more on SS.

Probably will not do formal nights as we are traveling independently via train at disembarkation up to Porto so we are limiting our luggage to what is reasonable to haul around after the cruise. We are trying to keep it to one large bag each plus our carryon. Maybe this is unrealistic with SS dress codes?

I want to be appropriately dressed. Would something like black dress narrow pants, heels and a shantung jacket be dressy enough for informal nights? I am unclear on what exactly a pantsuit is--have not hear that term since the 80's when it was work wear.

What about a LBD with a dressy jacket or a nice silk top with a black skirt?

I'm not a palazzo pants/sequin top kind of person, actually don't do sequins or sparkles on my clothing.

Thanks in advance for any detailed guidance!

Edited by broker1217

We did our first Silverseas cruise back  in 2010.  We have over 300 days on SS and 150 in future bookings.  So  know the dress code well  😁

"Probably will not do formal nights as we are traveling independently via train at disembarkation up to Porto so we are limiting our luggage to what is reasonable to haul around after the cruise. We are trying to keep it to one large bag each plus our carryon. Maybe this is unrealistic with SS dress codes?"

Definitely NOT -  we travel  from Australia, one large bag each and one carry on.  

"I want to be appropriately dressed. Would something like black dress narrow pants, heels and a shantung jacket be dressy enough for informal nights?  ."

What about a LBD with a dressy jacket or a nice silk top with a black skirt?  "

All of those   would work  for  FORMAL   night as well  in my book !!  I wear long floaty skirts ( just above ankle length) and a silk  top and that passes for formal  wear in my books.  And they pack down  really small.  My husband  does bring his dinner suit  but also  a pink  jacket  and a silk  bow tie - I find they pack  flat as well !  But dark  pants and a nice jacket and your husband is formal  too !  

Dont stress  no one will  throw you over board  ! 

I travel with carry on only so for evening wear I have one pair smart black pants with some tops which work for every night, casual informal or formal. And maybe capri pants for warm weather cruising.

The tops will be a variety of 'dressy' (although they're all essentially tee shirts) and I have a wrap and/or jewellery to dress it up for formal night.

As rojaan says, what you're proposing is enough for formal night; you can wear it other nights but you might feel a little overdressed although probably not - ladies wear a great variety of outfits on SS, it's not as old fashioned and dressy as SS would like to have you believe.

The important thing is to have well fitting clothes that suit your style and you might wear to a smart restaurant landside, then you'll feel good in your outfits and will be a great SS cruiser whatever the dress code says.

• Like 2

PS Don’t worry about a pink jacket!

Stumbles - bless his socks and I hope sometime in the not too distant future to be able to share a ship again with him and his lovely ladies (oh and daughter) - is an inveterate overpacker. Like lotsa big bags. 

Sorry Brian! But whatever floats your boat or whatever cliche you choose …

PPS I have just boarded the Dawn at Fusina - not a great embarkation experience but still better than Barbados, can anything be worse than that? - and I’m on for 21 days with only carryon. It takes careful planning and assurance of laundry facilities, but at least I’ve got all my stuff!! A friend was recently on the Spirit and she told me a number of pax never got their checked bags for the whole cruise. OMG!!

• Haha 1

Hi Jolly, the same thing happened to a few folks on my sailing out of Barcelona.....they never got their luggage.

Hope you enjoy The Dawn😀. Staff and crew are wonderful.

Hey Lois,

From La Terraza, so far so good. 
A whole lot of ship to explore! 

CD is  a Crystal refugee, but he’s disembarking in Civi, then Vicki boards. I do not get on with Vicki so I’m not entirely happy. We’ll see how it goes 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Hey Lois,

From La Terraza, so far so good. 
A whole lot of ship to explore! 

CD is  a Crystal refugee, but he’s disembarking in Civi, then Vicki boards. I do not get on with Vicki so I’m not entirely happy. We’ll see how it goes 

That was my CD too. Russ. If you meet the Guest Relations Manager, please tell her thank you from me. Her name is Zahie and she is a wonderful person.😀

8 hours ago, jollyjones said:

PPS I have just boarded the Dawn at Fusina - not a great embarkation experience but still better than Barbados, can anything be worse than that? - and I’m on for 21 days with only carryon. 

We get on the DAWN in Barcelona  on 11th August  ..... is that the day  you get off  ??

16 hours ago, jollyjones said:

PS Don’t worry about a pink jacket!

Stumbles - bless his socks and I hope sometime in the not too distant future to be able to share a ship again with him and his lovely ladies (oh and daughter) - is an inveterate overpacker. Like lotsa big bags. 

Sorry Brian! But whatever floats your boat or whatever cliche you choose …

PPS I have just boarded the Dawn at Fusina - not a great embarkation experience but still better than Barbados, can anything be worse than that? - and I’m on for 21 days with only carryon. It takes careful planning and assurance of laundry facilities, but at least I’ve got all my stuff!! A friend was recently on the Spirit and she told me a number of pax never got their checked bags for the whole cruise. OMG!!

Hey I am bringing my pink jacket no matter what. if packing is a bit tight the dinner suit won't make the cut. I'll just wear some of my more colourful bow ties.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 2:21 AM, broker1217 said:

We are doing 12 night transatlantic in 2023 and it is our first time on SS. Have done Crystal and Viking and understand that folks dress up more on SS.

Probably will not do formal nights as we are traveling independently via train at disembarkation up to Porto so we are limiting our luggage to what is reasonable to haul around after the cruise. We are trying to keep it to one large bag each plus our carryon. Maybe this is unrealistic with SS dress codes?

I want to be appropriately dressed. Would something like black dress narrow pants, heels and a shantung jacket be dressy enough for informal nights? I am unclear on what exactly a pantsuit is--have not hear that term since the 80's when it was work wear.

I'm not a palazzo pants/sequin top kind of person, actually don't do sequins or sparkles on my clothing.

Absolutely perfect.   A pantsuit is a trousers suit in English speak.  Nice top with black trousers will do anytime.   You dont have to wear a long or even a cocktail dress.   A little jewellery will go a long way.   So long as you feel good you will look good.   LBD with dress jacket or nice silk top with black skirt or trousers would be good for formal and informal nights.   How about a bit of costume jewellery and perhaps a pashmina?    Pashminas are always good for travel for lightweight warmth and comfort.   Pack a couple of scarves which you could mix and match with plain outfits.  On our last cruise someone commented on "yet another lovely scarf" I was wearing, no one ever commented on the fact I wore the same trousers for many nights!!

On 7/20/2022 at 6:21 PM, broker1217 said:

Honestly, no one cares as long as you make an effort.  What you describe will actually work for informal or formal, no need to limit your dining choices on formal nights.  Sounds like you’re bringing plenty of luggage to be able to cover it.  And totally agree about sequins - ugh.

I was a first-time earlier this year and had similar questions.  

First, one large bag + one carry-on provided way more clothes than I needed for a 10-day cruise + 4 days before / after the cruise.  Women have more flexibility than men, which can be a good or bad thing.  Being honest, if you show up in something other than jeans or shorts or a T-shirt, you'll be fine.

I wore the following:  blank pants with glittery top, black pants with silk top, black pants with a VERY dressy long-sleeved T-shirt, sheath cotton dress, silk-blend short-sleeved sundress, long-sleeved animal print polyester (!) (but looks like silk) dress.  I think I wore one of these items more than once and could have doubled up on 3 items for the 6 informal nights.

Some women really dressed up -- not formal level but VERY nice slacks with coordinating jackets or dressy dresses.  Others wore slacks and a more casual top.  It really depends on how dressy you want to be, how comfortable you are re-wearing outfits, and how much you want to pack. The really dressy types were lugging at least 2 large suitcases -- but obviously dressing nicely is super-important to them.

One final note:  on the last night, jeans and tennis shoes were permitted (at least in Atlantide). I think there is a realization that most people will wear to dinner what they plan to wear off the ship the next day.  As long as your attire is "decent" (no shorts, no ripped jeans, no tank tops), they seemed to let it go.  And probably 50% were in this super casual category.

• Like 2

We have 12 days cruising plus 1 day pre and 8 days post---21 total.

I have done similar TA's ending up in Europe and did fine with one bag.

Knowing I can do dressy separates---should be easy! 

I pack a capsule wardrobe with all solid colors in black, tan and cream plus some solid color dressy blouses/jackets. All tops have to work with all bottoms, and I add scarves. I keep shoes to 3 pair, maybe 4 if I add sandals for the pool.

I have no issues wearing things more than once!

No jeans as I find them too bulky and don't wear them in Europe anyway.

• Like 3

I wear palazzo pants (what I call car wash pants because the panels flap around like in a car wash) with various tunics or jackets and a sparkly necklace for formal nights.  Plain black pants with tops, tunics, sweaters for informal nights...the Travelers brand by Chico's is my go-to.  And ballet flats...no more heels for me on ships!

Enjoy!  Missy in Maryland (waiting impatiently for her Dawn cruise in January)

On 8/3/2022 at 8:45 PM, MHF said:

I wear palazzo pants (what I call car wash pants because the panels flap around like in a car wash) with various tunics or jackets and a sparkly necklace for formal nights.  Plain black pants with tops, tunics, sweaters for informal nights...the Travelers brand by Chico's is my go-to.  And ballet flats...no more heels for me on ships!

Enjoy!  Missy in Maryland (waiting impatiently for her Dawn cruise in January)

Hi Missy🙂, what date in January is your cruise?

On 8/6/2022 at 9:43 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Missy🙂, what date in January is your cruise?

Hi Lois, Silver Dawn Jan 29!  Going with a friend who has never been on Ss...excited to introduce Ss to her.

Headed out Sept 16 on Seabourn to Alaska.

M