****CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #3 -‐- JULY 21, 2022***

Host Carolyn

From Carnival’s website:

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing.

Up to date means a guest has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.

Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their test as early as Wednesday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in.

If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines, they must take an antigen pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing, or a PCR test within three days prior to sailing.

If you are eligible for a booster and have not received one, you are not considered up to date.

Example: For a sailing departing on Saturday, guests may take their antigen test no earlier than Thursday and as late as Saturday morning, if guaranteed to receive results in time for check-in. A PCR test may be taken no earlier than Wednesday prior to sailing.

So, while the booster is not required, having the booster allows the traveler to take the Covid test one day earlier than those who are not boosted.

Edited by DanvilleCruiser
  • Like 2

The CDC guidance has been out for days now. Carnival‘s website still says they are awaiting the guidance. As of this morning Royal Caribbean’s website has announced evolving protocols that include no testing for cruises under six days for vaccinated guests beginning with departures on August 8.  The implication is that there will be more to come.

Richard

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, Ihearttravel11 said:

I purchased 3 slots (at one time) for covid testing with Onpoint for our August cruise.
I have confirmation and everything.
I have a patient portal area through HealthTrack RX link.
I filled it out for myself. Got a wierd code at the end, which I am guessing signifies I am who I am.
Do I need to fill it out for the other 2 who will be testing with me?
Might seem like a ridiculous question, and I am guessing that yes, I will have to.
But this whole thing is incredibly confusing to me - maybe I am really overthinking things.
Thanks, in advance.

-----------------------
edited to add : I just registered everyone. We all got different confirmation numbers, so I'm guessing I did it right. 

This is what I came here to find out. When I filled out my own info it seemed to just end the session. I don't think I got a code. What was your process? Did you do each one separately using the same link? I didn't want to do this because I was worried #2 would overwrite #1. I am going to have to sort it out this weekend (cruise 8/6) but if you remember your exact process I'd love the info! We have two appointments as we are 6 people. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, CorrieCJ said:

This is what I came here to find out. When I filled out my own info it seemed to just end the session. I don't think I got a code. What was your process? Did you do each one separately using the same link? I didn't want to do this because I was worried #2 would overwrite #1. I am going to have to sort it out this weekend (cruise 8/6) but if you remember your exact process I'd love the info! We have two appointments as we are 6 people. Thanks. 

After I completed my information, I just went back and completed information for the other 2 in my party - starting over from the link given. We all got different codes, so it worked out just fine!
The code is very important. It is what you give the virtual PA when you take your test so that they can register it with the HealthTrackRX page. You use the code and birthdate and other information to get your results. I believe they are also emailed and/or texted to you.

Edited by Ihearttravel11

51 minutes ago, Ihearttravel11 said:

After I completed my information, I just went back and completed information for the other 2 in my party - starting over from the link given. We all got different codes, so it worked out just fine!
The code is very important. It is what you give the virtual PA when you take your test so that they can register it with the HealthTrackRX page. You use the code and birthdate and other information to get your results. I believe they are also emailed and/or texted to you.

Thank you so much. I will restart and make sure I get the codes!

Appreciate the quick answer. Happy cruising!

• Like 1

Ugh, checking in at the pier was a real pain with a baby under 2.  Everyone in our party is fully vaxed except him as the vaccine was only recently approved for his age group.

Kids under 2 require no testing, just a vaccine exemption from carnival, and they don't need to apply for the exemption; it's automatically granted to them based on their age.

So we show up to the pier and find that me and the kiddo still have to go to the separate check in line for those that have exemptions and need to be tested, while the rest of my party went to the regular check in.

They should really have a separate line for people who are only there because they're traveling with a kid under 2, or at least let them move up to the front of the line.  All we needed was to get the exemption letter, sign it, have an employee stamp it, and go.  It shouldn't take more than 90 seconds.  But since we were in the same line as everyone getting tested and taking a much longer time, it took nearly an hour to work our way through.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rps2004 said:

The CDC guidance has been out for days now. Carnival‘s website still says they are awaiting the guidance. As of this morning Royal Caribbean’s website has announced evolving protocols that include no testing for cruises under six days for vaccinated guests beginning with departures on August 8.  The implication is that there will be more to come.

Richard

I saw this and am really hoping other lines follow. 

Real fast dumb question- 

We sail on Liberty on the Aug 1, we all have the regular shots, but no booster, so I know the rule is "48 hours". 

We wound up scheduling our tests for 8am Sat (so we could have the rest of the weekend free). Is that technically too early, or is it really just "2 days", and anytime during those days is hood?

I just want to make sure I have this correct as there is a price difference in the testing on my sucky Canadian $$.  😂

can we do a rapid antegen test if we are fully vaxxed or does it need to be a PCR test?

Thank you.  

1 hour ago, MikeNKim said:

I just want to make sure I have this correct as there is a price difference in the testing on my sucky Canadian $$.  😂

can we do a rapid antegen test if we are fully vaxxed or does it need to be a PCR test?

Thank you.  

Rapid Antigen is fine based on the FAQ page. We are scheduled to do our tests at Costco and it is only $17 or so.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-faqs

Edited by calgaryhhr

On 7/24/2022 at 7:21 AM, rps2004 said:

I saw that. I only did a quick read, but I thought the fact they were  giving people advice about what to do if their cruise line does not have a testing requirement was telling. It would seem to indicate that they contemplate cruise lines dropping the testing within the new guidelines. Interesting to see what the Big Three make of this. 

I also found it interesting that they defined  fully up-to-date as requiring all shots and booster that you were eligible for.   This is a slight change from the prior wording and would seem to indicate that if you could have had both boosters but chose only one you might not be up to date. Not sure what the up to date requirement might apply to if a cruise line does away with Testing, but I thought it was interesting, nevertheless.

I am not going to go back and read the guidance in depth because the only real interpretation that matters is what cruise lines decide it means and how they develop protocols within that guidance. I would think that would happen pretty quickly this coming week.

Richard

We are still waiting. I am worried there will be no change. At least now they can't blame the CDC.

In case people have questions about using at home tests with onpoint, we did ours last night for our cruise on Panorama this weekend. We had three of us so I had made only one appointment. After scheduling the appointment, I registered each of us through the link they sent. Appointment went on time and very smoothly through zoom. I would use this service again in the future (although I'm guessing at some point in the near future we won't need to.).

• Like 4

Just posted to John Heald's FB:

NEWS ON TESTING.
Carnival Cruise Line is pleased to announce that we are adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the US cruise industry. We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. These changes will be made in phases, with the first of these updates effective on Thursday, August 4, 2022 and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less. More changes will be announced shortly and all changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary.
Effective for embarkations on or after Thursday, August 4
• No pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on cruises with itineraries 5 nights or less.
• Pre-cruise testing for itineraries 6 nights or longer can be conducted up to three (3) days before departure.
• There will be no in-terminal testing for unvaccinated guests on day of departure, but all unvaccinated guests, age 2 and older, must provide proof of a negative result of a lab-administered or supervised self-administered antigen COVID test taken within three (3) days before embarkation.
Thank you all for helping get us to where we are now and your loyalty and your desire to cruise and have FUN is extraordinary.
Cheers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Concretemanstan said:

So according to the letter these new protocols announced will be in place until the end of the year?  I'm not convinced that the "more changes to be made shortly" element will affect any of these three bullet point statements.  Am I wrong?

I don't see "end of year" in the letter that was thoughtfully provided a few posts above this one.  Perhaps you got a different one?  Based on how much these protocols have changed in the past year, I'm skeptical that this is the final answer - even for the announced changes.

I just called to confirm the 'no test' requirements for cruises 5 days or less. We travel on August 8th. The Carnival representative was thoroughly confused. First, they told me I had to do a test at home and tell them my results...no proof required. Then they said a booster was required but when I asked if this was required for 5 days or less cruises, she said no, only the original vaccine was needed.

Anyone have a clear answer on the requirements for cruises 5 days and less?

14 minutes ago, Concretemanstan said:

It's in blue at the top of the letter.  It says the change in protocols are effective for all sailings from the 4th August to the 31st December.  I'd love this to not be the case though!  Have I read this wrong?

Sorry, I missed it.  My interpretation is that the protocols are current for sailings through the end of the year, but they can change at any time - even for those that changed today.