Yipee! we got cruise covid...

barely

3 hours ago, turnin50 said:

Yeah seems like BC is always behind the rest of the country which is why I asked barely who is from Vancouver how they all got their 2nd boosters 

I received a text from the govt yesterday saying 2nd boosters were coming for all over 12 in the fall and to wait for an invite, but it also says if over 18 and have “unique needs” you can get it sooner. I would think travel would qualify.

We have an Alaska cruise in August, but I hope we’ll be fine as is. We cruised during the January surge and again in April and we were fine.

I want to wait until the fall and get the new booster that is supposed to work for Omicron as we have a trip to Europe and 2 week transatlantic. I definitely want to be freshly boosted for that!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I received a text from the govt yesterday saying 2nd boosters were coming for all over 12 in the fall and to wait for an invite, but it also says if over 18 and have “unique needs” you can get it sooner. I would think travel would qualify.

We have an Alaska cruise in August, but I hope we’ll be fine as is. We cruised during the January surge and again in April and we were fine.

I want to wait until the fall and get the new booster that is supposed to work for Omicron as we have a trip to Europe and 2 week transatlantic. I definitely want to be freshly boosted for that!

Alberta recently opened up to all over 18, but previously had exemptions available for travel, etc.  I had been considering waiting, but read an article that said that omicron boosters likely wouldn’t be available until November at the earliest, so if it’s been a long time since first booster (for me 11 months), you should go ahead and get a second booster now.
(Just got back from getting booster shot this morning. Cruising in September)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blizzard44ca said:

Alberta recently opened up to all over 18, but previously had exemptions available for travel, etc.  I had been considering waiting, but read an article that said that omicron boosters likely wouldn’t be available until November at the earliest, so if it’s been a long time since first booster (for me 11 months), you should go ahead and get a second booster now.
(Just got back from getting booster shot this morning. Cruising in September)

Im also cruising in September and will get the Pfizer booster next month .

I didnt want to wait and possibly try the new booster as i dont know how i would react to it . I had no adverse reactions previously with the old Pfizer vax

so i figured i will run with that for now. 

My doctor agreed that i wait to try the new vax and said we probably wont see it until next year anyway. 

23 hours ago, turnin50 said:

Yeah seems like BC is always behind the rest of the country which is why I asked barely who is from Vancouver how they all got their 2nd boosters 

I went to Bellingham and got my 4th shot last month

• Like 1

Interesting information on this thread !

We too were on the same cruise as the OP and masked for 95% of the time, avoided the crowds and were ultra cautious as we couldn't get a 2nd booster ( 7 months since 1st).  DH tested positive 2 days after and I was a few days behind.

Cruised in early May and were fine so not sure if the waning immunity played a part.

Just received the same text as sunviking90 about the fall rollout and to wait for an invitation, but

we're cruising again in October in the Med/Middle east and not sure whether to wait for the BC fall rollout (hopefully Omicron included vax) or try to get a 2nd booster now just in case BC is behind the 8ball with the New Vax roll out to our age group.

Yess ...we have long standing issues in BC with the Public Face of our medical directorate; Dr Henry..  Who for years ..refused .. to allow/use Rapid Testings (Didn't like them :classic_huh:    To the point that Federally issued tests were aging out in storage.  Yet 3 months ago were deemed 'good' to use.

Frankly I won't be going near a Cruise again..    Ever,  2 has proven one too many.

For a variety of reasons.. Overcrowding being the biggest and overriding one. Borrrring as another

Noting that Covid in whatever form ..will..  be contracted,  Direct result of far too many people being held captive in too small a space. over 4000 ! (total) people on board my Eclipse ride.

Cruise like Sardines :classic_dry:                                                                                    

Notably, relatives and friends have done extended vacations in Europe, as many as 3 times.. starting in early '21  With Zero infections. Despite  Airports and train stations.

Quite enjoyed the  Covid fear reduced crowds . Much like Europe was 30 years ago.. V nice,,, the reason for the multiple return trips.

That said; 2 groups went to USA (inside of a month ago) .. San Diego.  other to Jellystone National (yogi ) All came back with Covid. 

Seemingly USA ain't the place you oughta go.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, loman said:

In Ontario you need to be over 60 and 6 months since your last booster .

I just walk over to my local drug store for mine. 

Shoppers Drug Mart should be able to help you . Give them a call .

Dont know what the regulations are in BC .

It’s recently changed in Ontario.

We booked our 4th shot on July 14th when the rules changed. It’s now for 18 and over, with 5 months past your last shot and a recommendation of waiting 3 months after an infection. 

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s recently changed in Ontario.

We booked our 4th shot on July 14th when the rules changed. It’s now for 18 and over, with 5 months past your last shot and a recommendation of waiting 3 months after an infection. 

Ah, ok thanks , i missed that update . 

Guess there is an overabundance of inventory again and they move the goalpost so they dont  throw away soon to expire vaccine .🙂

1 hour ago, loman said:

Guess there is an overabundance of inventory again and they move the goalpost so they dont  throw away soon to expire vaccine .🙂

No, it was well covered in the news and the expansion was in response to the 7th wave that Ontario is in: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/07/07/ontario-fourth-booster-shots-dr-kieran-moore-covid19-omicron-variant/

Also, it is not that easy to get the booster (e.g., walk-ins) so I don't know where you are getting that there is an overabundance of it.  The urban centre pharmacy I booked at said my appointment is delayed because they didn't have enough doses.

40 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

No, it was well covered in the news and the expansion was in response to the 7th wave that Ontario is in: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/07/07/ontario-fourth-booster-shots-dr-kieran-moore-covid19-omicron-variant/

Also, it is not that easy to get the booster (e.g., walk-ins) so I don't know where you are getting that there is an overabundance of it.  The urban centre pharmacy I booked at said my appointment is delayed because they didn't have enough doses.

Gov just tossed out a bunch , about 13 million

COVID-19: More than half of Canada's AstraZeneca vaccine doses will be thrown out | CTV News

On 7/25/2022 at 3:50 PM, turnin50 said:

BC isn't opening to all ages till sometime in the fall.

We just got our text/email notification from the province this week advising that 4th shots will be available in the fall (September) for everyone 12 and up.   But if you're over 18 and have "unique needs" in BC you may get another booster sooner (quote from the text).

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Nobody wants AZ when Pfizer and Moderns are available. Apparently not even in less advantaged countries.

Agreed .  lol , i wouldnt want AZ either .  Im full of Pfzier and am going to get a top up soon

1 hour ago, loman said:

Agreed .  lol , i wouldnt want AZ either .  Im full of Pfzier and am going to get a top up soon

Because of the mess the government did with handling it I've had all of them.

When the shots first came out AZ was the only one available for me, got it and 3 weeks later they said they weren't going to use them any more (seems they never sent them all abroad either if they threw them out). My second shot and first booster was Moderna and now I can only find Pfizer where I am for second booster so got that - so I am a mixed cocktail

1 hour ago, loman said:

booster doses are the same as a vaccine 

Are booster shots the same dosage and formula? – IN.gov

I may be wrong, but I believe that only Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are approved as boosters in Ontario. 

If this is the case, then what you posted earlier still has nothing to do with boosters (at least not in Ontario), even if booster doses are the same as a vaccine.

Unless you are saying that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are also soon to spoil, but if that is the case it would be nice to cite a reputable source.

Soon to spoil or not, I'm glad that they have opened up eligibility for second boosters.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:24 AM, barely said:

Yess ...we have long standing issues in BC with the Public Face of our medical directorate; Dr Henry..  Who for years ..refused .. to allow/use Rapid Testings (Didn't like them :classic_huh:    To the point that Federally issued tests were aging out in storage.  Yet 3 months ago were deemed 'good' to use.

Frankly I won't be going near a Cruise again..    Ever,  2 has proven one too many.

For a variety of reasons.. Overcrowding being the biggest and overriding one. Borrrring as another

Noting that Covid in whatever form ..will..  be contracted,  Direct result of far too many people being held captive in too small a space. over 4000 ! (total) people on board my Eclipse ride.

Cruise like Sardines :classic_dry:                                                                                    

Notably, relatives and friends have done extended vacations in Europe, as many as 3 times.. starting in early '21  With Zero infections. Despite  Airports and train stations.

Quite enjoyed the  Covid fear reduced crowds . Much like Europe was 30 years ago.. V nice,,, the reason for the multiple return trips.

That said; 2 groups went to USA (inside of a month ago) .. San Diego.  other to Jellystone National (yogi ) All came back with Covid. 

Seemingly USA ain't the place you oughta go.

Apparently cruising isn't for you. 

Your political attack on Dr. Henry was just not on. I'm sorry you had a bad cruising experience that's not Dr. Henry's fault.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, loman said:

They adapted it Ontario because of the 7th wave.  Other provinces have as well.  

I have no idea about inventory but the Feds have already had doses expire.  Provincial guidelines have nothing to do with federal inventory at this point and time.

• Like 1

The current vaccine that they’re giving as boosters was initially meant to combat the earlier variants of Covid and has nothing in it to attack the omicron variant which is what is transmitting so well currently. I’m hesitant to get my fourth shot until either Moderna or Pfizer come out with their updated bivalent vaccine in the fall which will cover the earlier variants as well as omicron …of course by then the virus could’ve, and probably will be, mutated again and we’ll need further updated vaccines 🤷‍♀️  Haven’t read anywhere anything that shows that the current booster helps against omicron. If I’m mistaken I’m open to views…unfortunately don’t have a family doctor to bounce ideas off of or get authentic advice. 

9 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

The current vaccine that they’re giving as boosters was initially meant to combat the earlier variants of Covid and has nothing in it to attack the omicron variant which is what is transmitting so well currently. I’m hesitant to get my fourth shot until either Moderna or Pfizer come out with their updated bivalent vaccine in the fall which will cover the earlier variants as well as omicron …of course by then the virus could’ve, and probably will be, mutated again and we’ll need further updated vaccines 🤷‍♀️  Haven’t read anywhere anything that shows that the current booster helps against omicron. If I’m mistaken I’m open to views…unfortunately don’t have a family doctor to bounce ideas off of or get authentic advice. 

My understanding is that non variant specific vaccines still provide a very high degree of mitigation. So, while they may be less effective at preventing infection they do provide protection from the most severe effects.

I wonder about the wisdom of variant specific vaccines. If they are too specific they may not have any effect on other variants. We might end up in the same situation as flu vaccines where public health professionals have to guess at variants months ahead of emergence. I wonder if resources wouldn't be better applied to making existing vaccines more effective and developing better therapeutics.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broberts said:

My understanding is that non variant specific vaccines still provide a very high degree of mitigation. So, while they may be less effective at preventing infection they do provide protection from the most severe effects.

I agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

My wife and I have talked about this.  We got Omicron in early May and by time frames can now get our 4th booster. We chatted about getting it VS waiting for a variant one. We have decided to get the regular booster and are booked for next week.  Since the wait time is 5/6 months between doses we figure it will be December when we are eligible for the next one if needed. 

If a variant shot becomes available this fall, we wont be eligible for some time because we are 50 and 46. There are many other age groups and demographics that will be able to have access before us.  At that rate, we decided to go with the current booster for the original Covid and take the extra coverage.  If needed we will get the variant one when we are eligible late in the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

My wife and I have talked about this.  We got Omicron in early May and by time frames can now get our 4th booster. We chatted about getting it VS waiting for a variant one. We have decided to get the regular booster and are booked for next week.  Since the wait time is 5/6 months between doses we figure it will be December when we are eligible for the next one if needed. 

If a variant shot becomes available this fall, we wont be eligible for some time because we are 50 and 46. There are many other age groups and demographics that will be able to have access before us.  At that rate, we decided to go with the current booster for the original Covid and take the extra coverage.  If needed we will get the variant one when we are eligible late in the year. 

Mrs. Dawg and I are a wee bit older than you, and with some age related health issues. We both got our 4th shots as soon as we could and if (when) a 5th is available we will get that one ASAP. For us it's all about cost/benefit. (What would you expect, she is a CPA and I'm a Finance/Economics Prof). The costs are minimal and the benefits potentially could be huge! That said, our 30ish sons, who are all very healthy, may make a different decision based on their own cost/benefit analysis.

I never got a flu shot before I started working at the university. The first winter there I was sick with the flu  way more than I ever was when I worked with adults in industry. My environment changed so did my cost/benefit analysis regarding flu shots. Covid has change the environment too, just in a more planet-wide sense. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 5