Lyttleton - Christchurch

ILCruiser

The Port of Lyttelton has not long re-opened to cruise ships after the Christchurch earthquake of 2011 caused damage. A new cruise ship facility was built. As no large cruise ships have yet visited Lyttelton  because of the Covid ban of cruising in NZ, no-one knows what will happen as far as transport from the port into Christchurch. Perhaps contact Celebrity with your query.

Yes I have asked Celebrity.  If I'm lucky, they'll get back to me in a month's time.😒

Plus I trust the answers I get here more than I do their agents.

Edited by ILCruiser
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ILCruiser said:

Yes I have asked Celebrity.  If I'm lucky, they'll get back to me in a month's time.😒

Plus I trust the answers I get here more than I do their agents.

As I said, no-one on here will know what will happen as Lyttelton has not been used by large cruise ships for many years and NZ has yet to re-open to cruising. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No wonder why I wasn't able to find anything despite googling a lot  ... 🙂

Hope early cruisers on these ships could share some details :

Celebrity Eclipse Thu 27-Oct-22
Grand Princess Fri 28-Oct-22

https://www.lpc.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Cruise-Ships-2022-2023-1.pdf 

Edited by PopCorn-007

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/12/2022 at 12:36 PM, ILCruiser said:

Thanks, this site had the information I was looking for.  

John

Hello!  Did you end up taking the shuttle?  Just curious if the shuttles were readily available, I assume there is a charge.  We will be on Princess later this year and hope that the shuttle into Christchurch is offered on our cruise.

38 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Hello!  Did you end up taking the shuttle?  Just curious if the shuttles were readily available, I assume there is a charge.  We will be on Princess later this year and hope that the shuttle into Christchurch is offered on our cruise.

We took the ship's shuttle from the port area to Lyttleton town, then transferred to a free (I think) shuttle to Christchurch Central.

Can't remember where they dropped us off, but pretty much right downtown.

John

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ILCruiser said:

We took the ship's shuttle from the port area to Lyttleton town, then transferred to a free (I think) shuttle to Christchurch Central.

Can't remember where they dropped us off, but pretty much right downtown.

John

Fantastic!  Thank you so much for the quick response.

The shuttle from the cruise ship took us to Lyttleton city in about 5 mins.  (maps below), where we took a shuttle to christchurch (I believe it was under 2$ and 35 mins ride) to bus station in Christchurch)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lyttelton,+New+Zealand/Christchurch,+New+Zealand/@-43.6029903,172.7179308,18.19z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d32262b7f7377c1:0x500ef86847985c0!2m2!1d172.7169812!2d-43.6027462!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d322f4863c5ed01:0x500ef8684799945!2m2!1d172.6305589!2d-43.5320214!5i2?entry=ttu

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are hoping to go to the Antarctic center.  Any ideas how to get there?  Taxi?  The cruise line has a bus excursion but we’d like to go on our own to spend more time there.

The cruise lines can be a bit extortionate in their pricing for that one. Give them a wide berth haha. Uber should be quite a bit cheaper than taxi (depending on their dynamic pricing and whether it spikes when a cruise-ship hits port). It's about a 30-min drive depending on traffic I would think. You could catch a public bus.. but that would be a lot of fluffing around and eat into your day far more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1