Australia

Keep getting killer deals for Australia’s but….. that flight! Anyone from US or Canada been ? Just wondering your experience. It’s like 18 hours in the air, 21 hrs quickest with a 3 hour layover. I’m curious what the ports are like, what your see, what the scenic cruising is like. 

Did an 11 day cruises on RCCL in 2014. Flew from Minneapolis to LA, had a 3 hr. layover than on to Sydney. We left LA around 9:30 pm. and arrived in Sydney about 7:30 am.  DH and I stayed awake in flight as long as possible and slept until just before we landed.  It was great cuz we basically stayed in our regular sleep cycle. We were refreshed when we got off the plane. But the return trip was not that easy. We experienced jet lag for almost a week after we go home. But it was totally worth it!

Australia is an amazing country. The people are so friendly and welcoming. The country is beautiful. The wildlife (kangaroos, wallabys, koalas) incredible.  Nothing like the Caribbean or Mexico or Mediterranean. If I could move to Australia I would (I'm American). Yes, it's far. I've been twice, once on a cruise and once on a land tour, and have a 3rd trip planned. Don't go for just a week or two, extend as long as you can. But remember Australia is as big as the U.S., you won't be able to see it all. Of the urban areas, Melbourne is my favorite (I've been to Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide - next trip will include Perth). I've also been to the Outback, which was a once in a lifetime experience, the Great Barrier Reef and Cairns, which I'd do again. Next trip, which is a circumnavigation of Australia will include Tasmania and Kangaroo Island. You can break up the flights with a stopover in Fiji or Hawaii. Getting there from U.S. you can keep on your normal sleep pattern as previous commenter said but coming home is harder. 

Jamie

We're planning 5 weeks next Feb. with a few days in Sydney, cruise up to Port Douglas, 5 days to hopefully see the Red Center and then a cruise to New Zealand.  We'll probably never go again, and I know we can't see it all, but are so looking forward to this big trip.  Not looking forward to the plane ride or jet lag!

On 7/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, GUT2407 said:

I advise most to think about a night, or a couple of nights even, in Hawaii

Great tip. We used Am Ex points to get to Hawaii to Delta from Atlanta. You would have many choices from the west coast. We have 3 days in Hawaii and then Hawaii Air to Auckland. I know they have flights to Sydney. Ended  up being cheaper use of points and/ or cash when we booked.

Australia and New Zealand were top on our list for many years. Once we decided to go, we splurged and went Business class which made all the difference in our opinion. Being on the west coast of Canada, we we had a non-stop flight from Vancouver to Sydney; it was a very long flight 15 1/2 hrs. Our flight left at 10:45 PM and we slept for close to six hours with the comfort of the lay flat beds. When we arrived, we were surprised that jet-lag was minimal and once we checked into our hotel, we walked around Sydney Circular Quay area, ate and went to sleep Sydney time.  Coming home we left from Auckland which was a tad shorter at 13 hrs and again didn't find the flight too bad with the comfort of lay flat beds. It's pricey but made all the difference for us. Loved Sydney, enjoyed Melbourne and loved Tasmania which were the ports we visited. NZ was also just beautiful - stunning scenery! 

• Like 1