Booking on board

Portplush

We are cruising soon and would like to know if it is worth waiting until then to book for next year.   Do they do deals or are the prices the same as the brochure?   This will be our second saga cruise so not as familiar with their procedures as other lines.   We were very impressed with our first cruise and can see us staying with them from now on, looking forward very much to September/October cruise.

Thank you Glendale.   I will wait now until the  2024 brochure is released, I have paid the £90 each to be notified as soon as the cruises become available.   I was told the brochure will be out this September/ October, not long to wait.   Thank again

Portplush, this is what has happened this year (and last year):

The 2023 itineraries were released in March 2022.

People who had  had pre-registered by paying £90 got an email with details of the itineraries (but no prices), and were then phoned by Saga staff in order to book their preferred cruise.  The biggest discount is 35% and this reduces as cabins are sold.  You will be advised of the discount available on your chosen cabin when you are contacted.

Cruises are not available to book by the general public until everyone who has pre- registered has been contacted, and the full 2023 brochure was not available  until April 2022.  

If you were told that the brochure would be out September/October this year, I wonder if Saga have decided to release their 2024 itineraries earlier than usual? 

30 minutes ago, LandC said:

If you were told that the brochure would be out September/October this year, I wonder if Saga have decided to release their 2024 itineraries earlier than usual? 

I think September/October would revert to the pre-pandemic timing. However Saga also used to release the January to March/April cruises first with the rest of the year following somewhat later.

• Like 1

Thank you for your explanation re booking landC.   If, as david05 mentioned, it could be the beginning of 2024 released first, I hope there will be a caribbean cruise in March/April, fingers crossed.   I appreciate your replies, thank you.

No, but once got  virtually half price on a cruise about two months later, which presumably had not sold  well.  Able to choose cabin and inspect it while on board as it was not occupied.

However, met a single chap who had already booked and paid, and they would not give him anything to compensate (this from the onboard sales people, having checked with Folkestone), which was sad for him.

• Like 2

Seems Saga might be missing a trick here.

Have been on Viking where they have a dedicated sales person on board who will handle future cruise bookings with a whole range of benefits. These include double past passenger discount, additional discounted fares, included Silver Spirits package and balance payments fixed at 6 months prior to departure. This last benefit is directed at their US passengers as they are required to pay their balances up to 12 months or even longer pre departure. UK passengers are on the 6 months date as standard.

We also had the situation in 2021 when we were on one of their "Welcome Back" UK staycation cruises. Towards the end of the cruise we were contacted and offered a back-to-back at half price. Sadly we had commitments that prevented us taking up the offer.

I think Saga could encourage some extra business if they took a similar approach

• Like 2

I  should have said re the cheap onboard booking offer - in at least 10 cruises on Pearl and Sapphire this is the only time it happened, via a note put through everyone's door.  I think it was very unusual.

• Like 1