Due to lost Luggage a woman wore sweat pants every day on 15 Day Cruise ??

M&A

7 minutes ago, M&A said:

she could've bought clothes in London or her first cruise stop.

easier said then done. new clothes cost extra money that they may and may not have. on most of my trips i budget everything and only have a set amount of money for the things i need or want on a trip.

also depending on the size you need, it can be somewhat impossible to find it that size you need in various stores 

• Like 11

All the more reason to always make sure you have a couple pairs of clean skivvies and at least one extra pair of pants and 2 shirts at minimum in your shoulder bag/carry on that never leads your side.  Even with tight bag restrictions on size/weight on international flights I can at least get this in a small bag just in case.

Normally we try to pack only carry on for our domestic flights and cruises for this very reason.  I can pack for a 6-7 day cruise in 2 legit carry on size suite cases and two small shoulders bags for hubby and I lol! 🤪

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, wemjam said:

All the more reason to always make sure you have a couple pairs of clean skivvies and at least one extra pair of pants and 2 shirts at minimum in your shoulder bag/carry on that never leads your side.  Even with tight bag restrictions on size/weight on international flights I can at least get this in a small bag just in case.

Normally we try to pack only carry on for our domestic flights and cruises for this very reason.  I can pack for a 6-7 day cruise in 2 legit carry on size suite cases and two small shoulders bags for hubby and I lol! 🤪

Not to brag, but hubby and I recently went on a 2-week trip to Europe with 2 carry-ons and two backpacks. I literally can't remember the last time I checked bags on an airline. If you don't mind  repeating outfits, you can make it work. 

• Like 10

Ah, sounds like someone just didn't want to pay for some "dressier" clothes and try to re-coup those costs from the airline.  There are standard claim amounts you can make for lost/delayed luggage.  Here is the one for travel within or originating from Canada:

• The airline is liable for damages caused by delay in the transportation of checked baggage, up to a certain limit:
    • CAD$2,300 (approx.) on itineraries within Canada and international itineries, including to the US; and
    • US$3,500 on domestic itineraries within the US.
  • If your baggage is delayed, the airline must also refund the baggage fee.

https://airpassengerrights.ca/en/practical-guides/baggage/delay

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

new clothes cost extra money that they may and may not have. on most of my trips i budget everything and only have a set amount of money for the things i need or want on a trip.

also depending on the size you need, it can be somewhat impossible to find it that size you need in various stores 

There must have been some time to find something at a nearby discount retailer.  Pretty sure the Brits have the equivalent of TJ Maxx and Ross.  (Some might argue: "Yeah, Woolie's!")

If you are traveling to UK/Europe with that tight a budget, you are doing something very knife-edge.  Since they had to cancel formal dinner & dance reservations, that could have freed up some funds to cover something better than sweatpants if they really were that skint.

And it's not like the "new" clothes they bought would be thrown away.  Did they never intend to buy clothes ever again in their lives?

What happened is annoying, and unfortunately has happened a lot recently, it seems.  But it didn't need to be the clothes-disaster they made it into (or just made it sound like).

I sense a bit of attention-***** behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrSea said:

I am too cheap to buy travel insurance. So I always just carry my own luggage when flying or cruising. Thankfully I am healthy enough to.

Hmm...once I had a $3500 unexpected medical bill on a cruise because I had an infection due to a shaving nick.  You're never too young or healthy....

For the record...I'm 73; DH is 87.  Our health insurance for a 7 day cruise is about $85,

To those who think "just go to a store and buy clothes".....how do you know where the store is, how to get to the store, the hours the store is open etc.  Not very easy to do.

We "carry-on"....exclusively.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Hmm...once I had a $3500 unexpected medical bill on a cruise because I had an infection due to a shaving nick.  You're never too young or healthy....

For the record...I'm 73; DH is 87.  Our health insurance for a 7 day cruise is about $85,

To those who think "just go to a store and buy clothes".....how do you know where the store is, how to get to the store, the hours the store is open etc.  Not very easy to do.

We "carry-on"....exclusively.

Did your travel insurance cover it? I went to the travel insurance section and i see a lot of people telling stories of how insurance companies wiggle out of paying for stuff. I have been hesitant to buy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

Did your travel insurance cover it? I went to the travel insurance section and i see a lot of people telling stories of how insurance companies wiggle out of paying for stuff. I have been hesitant to buy.

Yes....every penny of it.  And quickly.

I went to the doctor the day after I got home...and she couldn't believe they charged so much!

This was on NCL about 3.5 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I assumed that the travelers didn't just take a taxi from the airport to the ship (wow, that would be cutting it close!), but rather had at least one overnight.  Flights form Canada generally arrive in the AM, UK time.  Which implies a hotel, with a front desk, with people who can help you, all afternoon and evening.  Or maybe Google with your phone if you dislike or cannot find people to help you.

I'm guessing they took the airline's word of having the bags delivered to the port, even though they might have had time to get new clothes.  And that was the tipping point.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 2

My brother recently flew to Greece for a private voyage.  He was forced to check his bag, and it didn't arrive.  He's 6'7.  He did try to buy clothes at various locations but nobody had his size.  He spent 10 days sailing around Greece and when he checked in for his return flight they had his luggage.  Luckily the men he was with were able to loan him a few things.

• Like 1

Wonder if the husband wore sweat suit as well?

No mention of his attire for the 15 days

Most cruise lines will do the laundry at night for PAX whose bags were lost

I would certainly  find something  to wear ..

Carry a CC  or 2 so you can at least buy something onboard  or onshore to get you through  until you bags arrive

Cross pack

JMO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Not to brag, but hubby and I recently went on a 2-week trip to Europe with 2 carry-ons and two backpacks. I literally can't remember the last time I checked bags on an airline. If you don't mind  repeating outfits, you can make it work. 

Yeah, same here. My last cruise was two weeks in the Mediterranean.  One small carryon,  one small backpack. No need to check.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Yeah, same here. My last cruise was two weeks in the Mediterranean.  One small carryon,  one small backpack. No need to check.

Unless the flight is full & you are forced to gate check your bags 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

That's what we are doing for our Pride cruise out of Dover in a couple of weeks  Two carry on bags plus a back pack,  no luggage to check.

• Like 1

I often ask myself what folks who bring only carry on do in the case of liquids or gels that they might need on their trip.  The airline will only allow certain sizes and for things such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, etc for a week long or more trip, do you buy these items when you get to your destination before the cruise?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M&A said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cruise-passenger-embarrassed-over-wearing-103350046.html

This is crazy, if her luggage didn't turn up at Heathrow, she could've bought clothes in London or her first cruise stop.

Not sure what her issue was. Obviously uninformed as to packing at least a couple of changes of clothes in her carry on. Too cheap to buy a couple of outfits before she sailed? Don't tell me you can't find inexpensive clothing, even for someone oversized, in London. Don't know where to look? Ask the front desk at your hotel, or just Google it. Too cheap to buy something in the on board shops or at the port stops? Put it on the credit card and pay it off when you get compensated by the airline if you're too poor to afford it. ( In which case why were they blowing that much money on airfare and a cruise in the first place?) Or was she just looking for attention?

Sorry,  not sorry,  but when something as common as this happens,  don't just sit there and whine; do something about it. I've no patience for people who play the victim when they could easily have helped themselves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matamanoa said:

I often ask myself what folks who bring only carry on do in the case of liquids or gels that they might need on their trip.  The airline will only allow certain sizes and for things such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, etc for a week long or more trip, do you buy these items when you get to your destination before the cruise?

We are buying toothpaste, mouthwash everything we need when we get to London.  

Why load our bags with the liquids?   

It's summer and we don't need to pack sweaters, coats etc.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

I am too cheap to buy travel insurance. So I always just carry my own luggage when flying or cruising. Thankfully I am healthy enough to.

Be thankful--very thankful--that you now "are in the condition that you are".  DrSea, that is likely not to be "forever, and ever, amen."  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I often ask myself what folks who bring only carry on do in the case of liquids or gels that they might need on their trip.  The airline will only allow certain sizes and for things such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, etc for a weeklong or more trip, do you buy these items when you get to your destination before the cruise?

I do 2 TSA approved clear zipper top travel bags with 3 oz less size for each product and can do the 8-10 easy for hubby and I.  And I have a LOT of products.  I have long hair so 2 shampoo, 2 conditioner, shaving cream, toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution, sunscreen, multiple hair products, aloe (in case I burn), bottle of nail polish, liquid make up products, alcohol spray for cleaning surfaces myself, fabric refresher/wrinkle releaser, and a few other things I am sure I forgot.  It's amazing how much you can get in there if you are good at Jenga or Tetris!