Book trips piecemeal, nothing non refundable, then new medical condition

dcl999

We’re getting older. Currently have no preexisting conditions.  Our cc and GeoBlue policies provide enough coverage. Are there any policies we can add to cover currently unbooked parts of a trip if we develop a medical condition and need the preexisting condition waiver to cover the rest of our booking. 
I’ll quite often book a tour or cruise and then 12 months later add air and another tour or cruise. The policies I have seen say from the date of the first payment. 

1 hour ago, dcl999 said:

We’re getting older. Currently have no preexisting conditions.  Our cc and GeoBlue policies provide enough coverage. Are there any policies we can add to cover currently unbooked parts of a trip if we develop a medical condition and need the preexisting condition waiver to cover the rest of our booking. 
I’ll quite often book a tour or cruise and then 12 months later add air and another tour or cruise. The policies I have seen say from the date of the first payment. 

Yes, there are policies that you can purchase up until final payment that will waive pre-existing conditions.  You want to pick one that offers the cancellation and interruption coverage you want. Don't worry about medical coverage because you already have GeoBlue Trekker for that.  Call tripinsurancestore.com and they will be happy to discuss options with you, even if you are only talking about a hypothetical trip and are not ready to purchase.

Also, be sure to look at the definition of pre-existing conditions in your credit card guide to benefits.  The one that I have has a 60 day lookback from "the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the initial deposit or booking date (whichever occurs first) of a Trip". So if you did not have a pre-existing condition when you made the initial booking, and something developed after that so you should still be covered.  Disclaimer: I have never submitted a claim under these circumstances, I am just reading the policy.

For the future, there are also many plans that must be purchased within X days of your initial payment to get the pre-existing conditions waiver.  But you can just insure the deposit and then add coverage as you make additional payments.  Not all plans do this, but tripinsurancestore is very helpful with this too.  I believe all of their plans work this way.

We pretty much follow your approach.  GeoBlue Trekker and cc for most cruises.  Then purchase a separate policy when pre-existing conditions are an issue (it varies) and it is an expensive trip.  I don't want to recommend a specific plan, because there are too many variables.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, dcl999 said:

Hi dcl999,

There are a few plans that allow you to buy at or before the Final Payment for your trip to get the plan’s pre-existing condition waiver. Most require you to insure your full per person prepaid non-refundable trip cost including airfare, if any.

I only know of one plan that doesn't penalize you do not insure your full per person prepaid non-refundable trip costs. And, it's not available in all States.

In 2003 I figured out a way to solve this when you don't need the pre-existing conditions coverage when you are paying your 1st payment on your trip.

Here’s the link to my CruiseCritic post on the Oceania 2023 World Cruise where I explain the strategy in more detail:

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo