snorkeling maya key

StormySeas

we will be in Roatan in October this year and my sister is wanting to go to maya key to see the animals with some beach time. I have my own snorkel equipment and will bring it along if there is much to see there but I am getting mixed messages about the snorkeling. I have been to west bay and loved it. she does not want to go there so this is the excursion she chose. just want to know if it is worth bringing my snorkel stuff along. TIA

Unless they've cleaned it up, the shore is pretty rocky,  Used to be able to see some fishes.  But lots of traffic in the harbor so might be pretty scarce. If you're stopping in Grand Cayman there's opportunity for snorkeling at Eden Rock, not far from where the tenders pull in.  So if other stops have snorkeling, then it's worth you while top bring your own gear.  Otherwise, if Maya Key is your ony option, just bring a just of sani-wipes and use their equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Crew, what about the actual snorkeling area off the dock? Did something change there? It use to be amazing snorkeling from the dock with plenty of coral and fish. We had a great experience there snorkeling. Yes, the beach wasn't the greatest (but there was plenty of shade) and I wouldn't say that was much of a snorkeling area but off the dock was awesome back when we went. They even had a path you could follow. 

To OP, the place is very pretty there and there's a lot of things to do as well...see the replica ruins and learn the history, the animals, there's a pool for if you get tired of the beach. I would say it would be a great place to go for a day. 

I looked on TA and there's still reviews saying amazing snorkeling so I don't think you'll be disappointed in that. 

You can find my review on my blog, located HERE, and there's tons of pictures and shows you around the place. That might help get a feel for it. 

we were last there in January 2020 and the snorkeling at Maya Key was fantastic. We've been several times- just for the snorkeling. There is a long dock, with a ladder at the end, so you step down into the water right at the edge of the reef. It's very easy and was in excellent shape then... planning to go again in April. Love Maya Key!!

Though we spend most of the time snorkeling, there are also the rescue animals, replica ruins, a nice pool, and the buffet lunch is excellent.

• Like 1