2023 Zaandam St John NB Excursion?

papa22

I know this early, looking at Excursions in St John on May 22 . Appears to be very few options from the cruise. Will this change when closer to date of sailing. Have looked at tours run not by HAL. Most say you must have a certain # of people in order to book! We are a couple, so we must solicit  other customers, what is this about? We haven’t cruised in a few years. Find this whole thing very disappointing..

21 minutes ago, papa22 said:

Appears to be very few options from the cruise. Will this change when closer to date of sailing.

Typically there will be tours added as you get closer-- you are a bit further out and not even in the same "season" as you will be cruising. Meaning vendors come and go year to year and there is no sense booking a tour with groups this season that could presumably not be there when you cruise in 2023. 

22 minutes ago, papa22 said:

Have looked at tours run not by HAL. Most say you must have a certain # of people in order to book! We are a couple, so we must solicit  other customers, what is this about?

You could. But it's also most likely that those companies are not booking individuals on tours that far out and are only taking bookings for groups that are fully accounted for and less of a hassle. This is generally speaking but those independent companies will most likely open bookings up for individuals in a couple months before you get there. Call one of them and ask for a date in the next few weeks and see if the answer is different. 

24 minutes ago, papa22 said:

We haven’t cruised in a few years. Find this whole thing very disappointing..

Things have changed dramatically since you last cruised-- expect things to not be exactly as you remember them. Ships are understaffed and sailing partly empty. Restaurants, cultural attractions, and tour companies are suffering from the same lack of manpower and are adjusting to what sort of commitments they are making in advance and reducing their overall offerings to cope. 

Thank You for information, it could also be the that we are only in port for a few hours compare to other cruise lines! I appreciate your insight, I have to agree there is a shortage of help!

47 minutes ago, papa22 said:

it could also be the that we are only in port for a few hours compare to other cruise lines!

It's possible but I still think things will open up as you get within a few months of departure. I would make mental notes of excursions being offered this season and hopefully something similar will be on offer next year. 

You might find it useful to read some of the previous posts about Saint John, here on the C/NE section.  One of the options is the hop-on-hop-off bus there, that does a couple of different loops.  It might be offered as an excursion, and/or it will likely be available to do on your own. The city itself is quite doable without an excursion, as well, if you are able to walk.  The dock is right at the foot of the city.

I agree with the posters above that it is probably way too early to have access to any information about ship excursions.  I wouldn't expect any til just a few months before the cruise, generally.