Too old for European cruising???

gunnywife

I will be 86 next year.  Would like to take a cruise to the Med or British Isles with my son, daughter and their spouses.  i've been seriously thinking of taking them on one of the cruises.  But now I'm having second thoughts.  Am I too old for this type of cruise?  I've been to all of these ports with my husband who has since passed.  I don't think I would be too much of a burden to the family, but would need help with luggage, getting on and off the ship. Other than that they could pretty much do as they choose. If I wanted I would stay on the ship at some ports.  Physically I'm in pretty good shape - don't use a wheelchair or walker but I'm a lot slower than I used to be.  What do you think.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Lynn

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gunnywife said:

What do you think.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I appreciate your post and would also like to learn what others think.  I feel more secure when walking outside of my condo using a cane, but, like you, would need help with luggage as well as getting on and off the ship.  I have been thinking about doing a family cruise (probably Disney as the children of my family would most enjoy that, I think).  But, I wonder?  Is this really a "world class" idea?  

Go for it you and your family will have wonderful memories.  We have seen many your age having a great time, we hope to be able to travel at that age.  Airports all have golf carts to drive you from the gate, as some are long walks.  Many passengers never leave the ship and are very happy.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are in our 70s, healthy but not as quick as we used to be. We have made the decision to only cruise locally due to our distaste with flying, especially right now with all the cancellations and other problems.  The three times we did transatlantic cruises (our favorites), the flights back were so unpleasant that we vowed never to commit to a long flight again.  Sitting still for all those hours, we find, is harder on the body than any other element of our lives.  But apart from the flights, we would do it again for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a few cruises with my mom from when she was 83, then the last one when she was 88.  All started in North America, so not quite as long of a flight.  The first two cruises were great - she did her own thing, I did my own thing and we met for dinner and the evening shows.  By the third cruise she was having some cognitive issues - she got lost twice - so I had to keep a closer eye on her.  I almost wish we hadn't done the last trip.  I really had to keep tabs on her and with the change of environment, she was forgetting to take her meds and she ended up in the medical center on the last sea day.  She's not terribly mobile, but really it was cognitive impairment that made the trip harder for me.  I wasn't comfortable leaving her unless she was going to stay in the room.  I was worried she'd get lost on the ship.

Couple of random tips:

-Don't be afraid to ask for wheelchair assistance in the airports, it really makes things easier.

-If you are on any medications, make sure your family knows what you take and the doses.  The angry German doctor in the medical center on the ship made me feel like a bad daughter for not knowing what medications my mom was on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I plan on requesting wheelchairs at the airports.  Mainly because there are long walks to airside.

My family will be with me to take care of the carryons.  

They also will have a list of my medications.

Also, very important I plan on getting the best travel insurance with high coverage. (just in case).

If I fly Delta I plan on paying extra for premium seating which would give me more room.

Califsealion:  I know how you feel about that last trip with your mother.  I was in the same position with my husband on our last cruise together. I was afraid to leave him for fear something would happen.

But the upside to that.  It was our last trip together and we had many good memories that will always be with me.  

• Like 12

You know your health and as I often say you should talk to your trusted personal physician.  Your age, your speed, your needs are not the true issue, the issue is if you are in danger of needing serious medical services.   Only you and your physician can make that determination.  

I usually wouldn’t say this but having read so many threads recently I think it needs to be said.  Do not expect medical services from your cruise line any more than you would from your hotel.   

• Like 1

I'm in the camp that says "Go for it".  Especially if you are taking family with you.  They should be doting on you to make sure they have your bags, you are set with transportation, medications, etc.   If you need to talk with them ahead of time to make sure they understand your needs and are willing to help, then do so.  Also, as mentioned above, you are the best judge of your physical and medical conditions, so listen carefully to your body.  If you think you can do it, then do it.

Maybe plan to stay on the ship more than getting off to do excursions in the Med or the Isles.  But there may be some that are your speed. 

Enjoy the precious memories that you will make with your family.

• Like 3

My family is very caring and helpful.  They know they will have to help with luggage, etc. Since I'm the most experienced traveler they will be depending on me for all the planning and guidance along the way.  So helping each other will be a two way street.

I do have some medical issues but have traveled before with them.  But I will say I'm definitely slowing down.  

I have been on this same cruise a few years ago so if I choose to skip some of the ports that's no big deal.

My wish is to see them enjoy the cruise while I'm still around and able to travel.  They will be memories for them as well as for me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am 84 years old and travel Solo, with a Walker.  I'll get a wheelchair at the airport and the cruise line always furnishes one at the port to get on the ship.  

I went to South America in December and plan to go to  Europe this coming December. 

I take Bus trip excursions and occasionally get off the bus to walk a little and/or see a show.

I'll cruise as long as I can.  Trying not to think of my age, just taking my time and doing it and having a great time.

• Like 9

GO!

As the advert says....just do it!

You might not be able to do it next year or the year after.   

If you do not you, your son, and your daughter and families will regret it.

Make some memories.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:39 PM, travelbug11 said:

I am 84 years old and travel Solo, with a Walker. 

Where I live, a "Walker" is a guy that a wealthy socialite woman hires to take her to the gala charity balls.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the horribly long flights in a sardine can (which can be a challenge at any age), to me the biggest issue with European travel is the lack of accessibility if one is unsteady on their feet, uses a cane, walker, or wheelchair, etc.  

I'm able bodied, but those big cobblestones can really tear up your feet and legs.  They're something a lot of Americans aren't prepared for.

To the OP, I say go for it, but be prepared for there to be some limitations.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 6:38 AM, shipgeeks said:

We are in our 70s, healthy but not as quick as we used to be. We have made the decision to only cruise locally due to our distaste with flying, especially right now with all the cancellations and other problems.  The three times we did transatlantic cruises (our favorites), the flights back were so unpleasant that we vowed never to commit to a long flight again.  Sitting still for all those hours, we find, is harder on the body than any other element of our lives.  But apart from the flights, we would do it again for sure.

We use Cunard's Queen Mary 2 out of NYC to avoid those long and unpleasant flights. Have also booked Queen Mary to come back to the US. The older I get the more I detest flying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since Covid, I've taken three cruises with my mom who is now 93.  This not only got her out of the house (Covid), but we all had a great time and made wonderful memories.   Because of the extensive walking on board we rented a wheelchair and we learned how to use it. My two suggestions: look at buying or upgrading to a first class plane seat. It might be cheaper than you expected,  and you will appreciate the additional room and better service.  Your family can sit in coach and still help you on and off. And arrive a day early.  Third suggestion- don't forget those European cobblestone streets can be hard to walk on. 

We were fully vaccinated and I was a nut about masks, because if one of us got Covid it could've been a real disaster given my mom's age and where we were. We were all fine. 

I hope you have a wonderful trip. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm thinking of taking a collapsible walker that my husband used on cruises.  We're not flying first class, but have premium seating which gives us more leg room.  Service is good too.  And we are going a day early.  I already have reservations at a hotel in Southampton.  Now I just have to make arrangements for a private transfer from Heathrow to Southampton since we're going in a day early.  I do dread the Heathrow airport, but I'm getting a wheelchair for that. We leave from Tampa which is a great airport so going into LHR is tough.   

My  husband and I have been to Europe many time both on cruises and land tours.  Those cobblestone streets were difficult, even when I was younger.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and if you think of anything more, just let me know.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, gunnywife said:

My family is very caring and helpful.  They know they will have to help with luggage, etc. Since I'm the most experienced traveler they will be depending on me for all the planning and guidance along the way.  So helping each other will be a two way street..

Your family sounds delightful and I hope you go and all have a marvelous time!

My husband, daughter and I did a great deal of travel that included my parents (when they were in their late 70's and my mother was suffering from mobility issues).  We all travelled very well together and really enjoy the memories.

We did do one "family" land trip which also included my sister, her husband and their son -- that was NO fun.  Sister and her family did not want to have to spend all that much time with us, chose to stay at a different hotel and my parents (who paid for the trips) had to pre-schedule time with them.  Mom and Dad were just the bank and they did not want to be "saddled" (their word!) dealing with Mom's slowness.  I am still disgusted.  But I would not change a thing about any of the other trips we took with them over the years.

Onessa:  So sorry that  trip with your sister and family was so bad. Those things happen, unfortunately.  But remember all the good times you had on your other trips with your mom and dad.  I am looking forward to this cruise.  And I will say some of the fun is the planning --- making the arrangements for all of us to  get to the Tampa airport, arranging the transfer from Heathrow to Southampton, reserving the hotel the day before the cruise and most of all planning the excursions.

Don't think I mentioned it before, but old friends of mine are joining us on this trip.  So  that will be fun.  

Hope you have many more cruises with family  

• 2 weeks later...

As a sandwicher (I'll be old enough for this forum in a couple of years), I must say - I *expect* to handle my Mom's luggage, traveling, et cetera when we cruise together.  TBH, it's easier for me and I want her to save her energy for the fun stuff. 

But then she gets irritated because she thinks I'm trying to compromise her independence.  At an "older" and less-healthy 78, she's not as strong or as fast as she used to be (physically or mentally), and I'm coming off my child-care-heavy years, so I'm used to juggling things - she was like me when she was in her 50's, too.  So how do you handle THAT - when the youngers want to do/arrange things, but the elders want to hang on to things they might not be as equipped to handle?  It's not ruining our cruise, but it's causing dissent.  Sigh.

• Like 1