Sydney wine stores

Are there any good wine shops near the Sydney Hilton? Looking to get a case of assorted wines to bring on our Cruise. Will replenish locally as we visit various ports.

Ā 

Thanks.

Edited by Mrs f.
Spelling

I will defer to those closer.Ā 

Ā 

Assuming you are cruising out of Circular Quay, there is a small bottle shop a short walk from the cruise terminal, under Circular Quay rail station. It is small, but they have a bit of choice.

Ā 

For convenience, if we are taking a couple of bottles aboard, we will drop our luggage and walk over to grab our wine before checking-in.

• Like 1

There is a bottle shop on Elizabeth St (181) which isn't too far away, and another on George st and also Pitt Street which is only a block and a half away. The coronation hotel also has a bottle shop on Park St.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Do supermarkets sell wine or do we have to go to a special shop? Not looking for anything fancy, just a couple of reasonable bottles to drink on the balcony.

From my research it looks like both supermarkets and liquor stores.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

From my research it looks like both supermarkets and liquor stores.

Most supermarkets, i.e. Coles, Woolworths in NSW have a liquor outlet, like BWS or Liquorland. In the same complex but seperated, if you know what I mean, seperate entrance and checkout etc. Normally better prices than stand alone bottle shops.

Ā 

Not like in UK and US where the grog is in the supermarket proper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Most supermarkets, i.e. Coles, Woolworths in NSW have a liquor outlet, like BWS or Liquorland. In the same complex but seperated, if you know what I mean, seperate entrance and checkout etc. Normally better prices than stand alone bottle shops.

Ā 

Not like in UK and US where the grog is in the supermarket proper.

Alas, these are rarer in the CBD of the city. The Woolies Metro or Coles don't have their bottle shops attached there.

Ā 

But yes, Dan's at Circular Quay would be awesome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Alas, these are rarer in the CBD of the city. The Woolies Metro or Coles don't have their bottle shops attached there.

Ā 

Slip over on the ferry to Manly Wharf, Aldi there, they would have grog? My local Aldi has A small grog section, good prices.

Edited by NSWP

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Ā 

Once there are more apartments in that area the bottle stores will appear.

18 minutes ago, kernow said:

Before the cruise we are staying for a couple of nights at the Grace Hotel, is there anything nearby?

According to Google Maps Vintage Cellars is across the road (York St) and half a block south.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kernow said:

Before the cruise we are staying for a couple of nights at the Grace Hotel, is there anything nearby?

There was, one in York St one in George Street, Clarence Street and Kent Street but havenā€™t stayed there for a few years and things in Sydney changed during Covid, There was also one in the QVB just down the roadĀ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obilix said:

Just a question, but will the cruise lines allow you to bring on wine by the carton for consumption on board?

Which line, some certainly will but will charge a fee for over one per person (used to be $15 to 20 per bottle) the ones without a fee are to be consumed in cabin.

5 hours ago, Obilix said:

Just a question, but will the cruise lines allow you to bring on wine by the carton for consumption onĀ 

You mean boxed wine?

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Which line, some certainly will but will charge a fee for over one per person (used to be $15 to 20 per bottle) the ones without a fee are to be consumed in cabin.

We are on Oceania. They allow wine in cabin, no charge. In the dining rooms $25 corkage .Ā  Ā We will be at the Hilton. Plan on bringing on a case

The biggest wine retailer is Dan Murphy. Vintage Cellars also have a good selection.

You could order a dozen wines from their online shops and have it delivered to your hotel. Sure to be a better deal than paying exorbitant prices for the limited on board wine list

Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

A pack of 12 bottles here could be called a case or a carton.

Ā 

Boxed wine is generally called a cask, or a slang term of goon bag.

Also known as Chateau Cardboard..OR another slang term 'Moree Handbag.

download.jpg.9f43905cd20005729c5f24a46fa79627.jpg

Edited by NSWP

11 hours ago, Obilix said:

Just a question, but will the cruise lines allow you to bring on wine by the carton for consumption on board?

Yes but you have to carry the carton onboard and will get charged corkage on all bottles except two.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes but you have to carry the carton onboard and will get charged corkage on all bottles except two.

I will be interested to see how the corkage fee is charged on future cruises. There was usually a wine table set up either in the cruise terminal, or (at a port stop), just inside the ship. However on our 26th June cruise there was no wine table. We expected to be charged the $15 corkage on the bottles we took to the dining room, but it didn't happen. šŸ™‚