Hiking on an alaskan cruise in August, Bear spray?

jlederma

Family is going on an Alaskan cruise from Seattle in mid-august . We plan to do mostly self guided hiking on local trails when ashore.  Do we need to bring bear spray and if yes, are we allowed to bring it on the ship or do we have to buy it and throw it away (hopefully assuming we don't need to use it) as we leave each port?

There is no place you will go, most likely, that will have a trail with so few people that bear spray would be necessary.  They will give you the advice ("Hey, BEAR!") about what to do if you spot one, but unless you are going off on your own to a little-used trail somewhere, it's not common.  Just be aware of your surroundings and talk a lot so no animal is surprised when you show up. 

Have a great time and get lots of photos!

• Like 3

Be sitting down when you see the price. If your trails include Kodak, Sitka or Skagway I would recommend it. I think that you are allowed to bring it on the ship. (In Canada you can't carry pepper spray but bear spray is ok). You can give it to park ranger in your last port. Mid Aug will have bears at the streams but they will be busy eating fish. 

sightcrr

As someone who lives in Alaska I find it interesting that visitors seem to be more concerned about bear attacks than moose attacks.  I believe I am correct in stating that annually more people are injured by moose attacks than bear attacks.  

This has been a recent topic of conversation with friends, our primary care physician and our vet as in March my husband and our dog were attacked in our fenced back yard by a moose.  Our beloved dog had severe internal injuries and a broken leg; he had to euthanized.  My husband was pushed down on his back so was able to flail his arms and legs; he was badly bruised, and needed both stitches and a CAT scan to make sure the kicks to his head didn't cause any brain bleeds (fortunately they did not).

We have done quite a bit of hiking in Alaska and especially in Denali. Best advice came from a ranger at Denali. He told us to make plenty of noise, do NOT carry food, and tell someone where you are going. Previous poster is right, the moose are what you need to watch, they are dangerous and will attack without warning! Have done a lot of singing while hiking.

In the past moose have been very uncommon in the places where cruise ships go. I think it is still very uncommon to see them in the southeast AK. Interior, Denali, ANC or Fairbanks is a whole different story. I think NA is correct about people hurt. Car accidents with moose take a large toll and often because of their mass is above the legs the car air bags don't go off and the moose ends up in the windshield. 

Sorry to hear about NA's experience. 

sightcrr. 

As I am sure that Northern Aurora can attest to - if you get between mama bear and her cubs you can spray all you want and it will not do any good.   You will be dead.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

What we need is cheaper placebo bear spray.  I've got people on my party who are scared of bears, but on the SE Alaska port trails those fears are overblown.  Maybe get some Windex and label it as bear spray.  Look, we're safe. 

10 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

What we need is cheaper placebo bear spray.  I've got people on my party who are scared of bears, but on the SE Alaska port trails those fears are overblown.  Maybe get some Windex and label it as bear spray.  Look, we're safe. 

Love it.  WONDERFUL IDEA!!!!!  Just remember that you have to fill it after you get off the plane or the will confiscate your "bear spray".  

DON

Last year we did the Flora and Fauna Nature Walk by Go Hike Alaska out of Anchorage.  Our guide said he carried bear spray, but in all the years he had been leading tours, he never had to use it.  He came upon bears on many occasions, but just waving his arms and yelling scared them off.