Disney's cancellation policy

We booked Disney's cruise around the British Isles for us, our daughter, and our grandchildren.  I didn't buy Disney's Vacation Protection Plan; I preferred to find my own travel insurance.  I sat down to do that yesterday and first checked to be sure all our nonrefundable costs really are nonrefundable if we were to have an unexpected hospitalization the day before we leave for London.  I checked our latest Reservation Confirmation from Disney Cruise Line.  The bottom of that document contains fine-print "Important Booking Information," and that has changed significantly as Disney has instituted Covid-related "temporary policies."  I was stunned to find the following paragraph: 

"The Guest has the right to cancel the Cruise or Cruise Package before the start of the Cruise or Cruise Package without paying any cancellation fee in the event of Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances. In such circumstances, the Guest shall be entitled to a full refund or (sic) any payments made for the Cruise or Cruise Package, but shall not be entitled to additional compensation."

Does this really mean what it sounds like it means?  Would Disney refund the full cruise fare if one member of our travel party is declared by a physician to be unfit to travel because of an unforeseen illness or injury?  Or if there is an unforeseen hospitalization or death of a family member?  If so, then I see no reason to include the cruise fare in the nonrefundable trip costs when I buy the travel insurance.  But I'm reluctant to go that far until I know how Disney defines "Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances."  I would just ask them, but phone is the only means they offer for contacting them, and the wait time on their phone lines seems to be several hours.

I've checked, and this paragraph was absolutely not present on our original Reservation Confirmation.  It has only appeared as that document has changed to reflect their temporary Covid-related policies.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 hour ago, flyfisher44 said:

"The Guest has the right to cancel the Cruise or Cruise Package before the start of the Cruise or Cruise Package without paying any cancellation fee in the event of Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances. In such circumstances, the Guest shall be entitled to a full refund or (sic) any payments made for the Cruise or Cruise Package, but shall not be entitled to additional compensation."

Does this really mean what it sounds like it means? 

I don't know, but you might want to post this on the Disney Cruise Line forum as it is a primarily a  Disney question.  Also update your profile with where you live.  Or at least state your location in your repost on the Disney forum.  The policies are different depending on country.  Your wording is word for word from the "Terms and Conditions for Residents of the United Kingdom and the European Union". 

Also take a look at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/UK/ where they define terms.  I don't want to attempt to interpret the following for your hypothetical scenario.

“Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances” means a situation beyond the control of Disney Cruise Line or the relevant supplier or party who invokes a situation which could not have been avoided even if reasonable measures had been taken including (without limitation) serious technical or security problems, war or threat of war, terrorist activity or the threat of terrorist activity, riots, civil commotion, disaster, Act of God, nuclear event or disaster, natural disasters such as fire, floods or earthquakes, closure of ports or airports, strikes or other industrial action, medical problems on board the ship or at intended ports or other travel destinations, including, in each case, incidents of infectious or other diseases or illnesses, lawful deviation at sea in response to a distress call or other emergency and adverse weather conditions and the effects of Brexit, and any governmental or regulatory response to such situations which makes it impossible to perform the Contract.

Edited by Jersey42

Agree. The policies differ by location, but as a layman the term “Unavoidable and Extraordinary Circumstances” seems to apply to Disney not being able to “perform the contract.” The only mention of medical problems refers to those on board or at ports relating to infectious diseases.

I don’t think it refers to just any unforeseen medical problem of the passenger or traveling party prior to departure. The Flexible Cancellation Policy linked above spells out the conditions for a refund related to COVID - not other medical problems.