Are we crazy?

Saskmountain

The two of us depart to FLL in September for a 14 day B2B - and after the horror stories about luggage going on it’s own vacation (looking at you Pearson) we going to try and do it with carry-on only.  It’ll be tight for sure, and we’re doing a mock ‘pack’ to see… should be interesting…..

• Like 1

Tilley's and other brands of travel clothing have light, rapid drying offerings from skin out. It means frequent washing which you may not want to do, but does make for compact extended stay packing.

• Like 3

We have done this with 2 carry-ons, one large backpack and one medium one.  As long as you don't want to take formal clothing and can wear any jacket or other bulky article (or not have to actually pack such items), it works!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

it can be done  with careful planning  & doing laundry

If the ship has self serve laundry room  you will be fine

You can always wash in the sink   small things  & hang in the shower

Agree with BROBERTS   ..Tilley have some good wash n wear option  even Mark's  & Chico's for women

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Tilley's and other brands of travel clothing have light, rapid drying offerings from skin out. It means frequent washing which you may not want to do, but does make for compact extended stay packing.

[ have First Ascent by Eddie Bauer items for travel - can be washed in sink but stains seem to repel off anyway. Can be purchased online or at stores.   Like the SFP of 45 and 50 in many items as I have had several skin cancer incidents.

4 hours ago, Saskmountain said:

The two of us depart to FLL in September for a 14 day B2B - and after the horror stories about luggage going on it’s own vacation (looking at you Pearson) we going to try and do it with carry-on only.  It’ll be tight for sure, and we’re doing a mock ‘pack’ to see… should be interesting…..

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

We have done this with 2 carry-ons, one large backpack and one medium one.  As long as you don't want to take formal clothing and can wear any jacket or other bulky article (or not have to actually pack such items), it works!  (this!)

Opposite of crazy! Doing it now for the first time! Air Canada has no carry-on weight restriction. Yipee!

I cut back on shoes and am taking one or two less of everything clothing-wise. No formal wear for DH, just nicely dressed. For warm destinations, only need favourite clothes that mix and match that are lightweight, compact, roll up and go, wash and dry quickly (not 100% cotton). If Princess, great for having self-serve laundry and included Elite perk.  Pack for seven days, not 14.  

Had to transfer some liquids into 3.4oz silicon tubes from $store and buy a few smaller-sized toiletries. Not always the most economical but a good trade-off for no checked bag!

I also love polyester/mesh zip packing cubes. It's like packing six 'things' instead of 30. Go for it!  Be free... of baggage claim!

Have come a loooong way!  25 yrs ago took our first cruise with another couple.  We had 11 'bags' between us! Eeek! lol!  

Enjoy!

Edited by Adventures ahead

5 hours ago, Saskmountain said:

and after the horror stories about luggage going on it’s own vacation (looking at you Pearson) we going to try and do it with carry-on only.

Looking forward to hear how your packing dry run goes...

I can see it being doable with no formal wear and a warm weather destination.

We are reading the same stories, and as our outward flight connects through Pearson so we are seriously considering carry on only for our 7 day cruise out of Trieste...followed by 3 weeks in Italy😨

NCL so no formal wear required, warm weather so no heavy jackets...think it is possible:)

Saving grace will be that we can book apartments with laundry facilities, or just use a lavanderia - they are nothing like the hovels we call laundromats, clean and well cared for mostly.

We can acquire an extra bag to check for our return if need be as we connect through Frankfurt instead of YYC - the DW will need little convincing to "pick up a few things👗👠" in Italy,

I can already hear the credit card weeping 🤑

Edited by Brian V
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saskmountain said:

As @Brian V will be doing - on a much bigger scale it looks like! - there is a nice outlet Mall in FLL you can pick some things up at before your cruise. Or order some stuff from the big A to be delivered to your FLL hotel before departure. Both places sell luggage too and who cares if they misplace those for a few days on the way back. 

• Like 1

I only travel with carry on luggage and have done so for years.  In May I did a 2 week Alaska cruise with carry on luggage and just returned yesterday from another one week Alaskan cruise.

I use the Briggs and Riley international carry on compression suitcase and the bag that goes over the luggage handle.  I pack 4 pairs of shoes for an Alaskan cruise and 4 for a Caribbean or European cruise.

On which cruise line are you sailing?  Most have laundry, either do it yourself or stuff your items in a bag for a set price.

When going to Europe for 6 weeks I pack exactly what I would pack for one week.  Rick Steeves has excellent packing advice and there are excellent tips on Pinterest.

That is the problem with people & their carry on. They look like pack mules coming on the plane with two/three bags hanging off them, trying to stuff the over heads bins. If I'm last to board I can't find an over head bin by my seat because some one has put their carry on there. I wish air lines would enforce the number & seize of carry on bags. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Yes many times  we have had to gate check our carry on  (I usually have a small one with meds/computer )  while others have large bags that exceed the measurements for carry on size

We will sometime check our larger carry on  which sort of defeats the purpose  but  it is just less hassle  for us

Keep in mind that carry on has weight restrictions and should be stowable under seat. If using carry on cases, or checked bags, pack half your partners stuff and half of your own in each. Lessons learned for us last cruise. As for low packing, I the. had the advantage of not having make up, and wash and wear 2 souvenir store dresses for the first week of our cruise. I was always ready before my other half. When my bag arrived I realized I didn’t need half the stuff that was in it. All I really missed was my tapestry. 🤣

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

That is the problem with people & their carry on. They look like pack mules coming on the plane with two/three bags hanging off them, trying to stuff the over heads bins. If I'm last to board I can't find an over head bin by my seat because some one has put their carry on there. I wish air lines would enforce the number & seize of carry on bags. 

Hallelujah!  The airlines should charge for carry-on and take free checked baggage.  I think there is one airline - Spirit? - that does charge for carry-on.  The problem as you found it is that boarding takes so long for everybody to get installed and seated.  Spirit needs much quicker turnarounds.  However.....if you had to go through Heathrow right now it could be a week before you see your checked baggage again so carry-on is a must.  So no easy solutions, then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tango99 said:

Keep in mind that carry on has weight restrictions and should be stowable under seat. 

Surprisingly to me, as Adventures ahead noted above in Post #7, at least on Air Canada and WestJet, there is no official weight restriction for carry-on, just that you (I would assume or your travelling companion) generally must be able to lift and store it the overhead bin unassisted: 

Air Canada

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/carry-on.html#/

"Although no weight limit applies to carry-on baggage, your bag must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted."

WestJet

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/baggage/carry-on

"The carry-on item must also be light enough to allow you to place the bag in the overhead compartment unaided. If you are a person with special needs or a person with a disability, assistance is available upon request."

Also the websites indicate that only the smaller personal item is expected to be stowable under the seat.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

On 8/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Saskmountain said:

25 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Surprisingly to me, as Adventures ahead noted above in Post #7, at least on Air Canada and WestJet, there is no official weight restriction for carry-on, just that you (I would assume or your travelling companion) generally must be able to lift and store it the overhead bin unassisted: 

Air Canada

"Although no weight limit applies to carry-on baggage, your bag must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted."

WestJet

"The carry-on item must also be light enough to allow you to place the bag in the overhead compartment unaided. If you are a person with special needs or a person with a disability, assistance is available upon request."

Also the websites indicate that only the smaller personal item is expected to be stowable under the seat.

Not crazy at all!

DH and I are will be doing the same.

3 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Air Canada

WestJet

Interesting that AC states '....unassisted..".  On our AC flight to and from Montreal airport this month, we would say over 75% of passengers had carry-on + backpacks and nearly all of them required assistance in stowing in the overhead bin from attendants but, mostly gracious passengers.  This really added to the time to having everyone seated and to disembark. We chose to check our luggage and luckily had no issues.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I have not seen any carry on bag  fit under  any airline seat  unless it is a small tote bag  which may hold meds & essentials plus a change of under garments 🤔

Years ago, when the airlines first started charging for bags, we were on a full flight 737 from Orlando to Seattle. We got on the plane to find ALL overhead bins full and the FA actually instructed me to put my carry on CASE (average size 20” long with wheels, not a tote bag) under the seat in front of me. I spent the flight with my feet propped on top of it. Luckily I’m a small woman. I was pretty mad as I could see the bins stuffed with backpacks, purses, etc which should have been under seats.. I don’t think they had started gate checking bags back then, and we’re just overwhelmed. It wouldn’t happen today, I’m sure. I certainly wouldn’t let it happen now, lol.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind gate checking our larger (of the two) carry-on bags. Will know soon as off to the airport this morning. Will probably check it on the way home. It's expandable and I may buy something on vacation. Direct flights (no guarantee, haha) so not as critical for us on the way home. Just want to stay away from Heathrow baggage claim on the way to our cruise!

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Air Canada

WestJet

You’re absolutely correct. My brain needs a re-set. It used to be max 22lbs on AC. Though airlines of other countries that may be connected still have weight restrictions for carry on. The first flight segment is where that would apply. So it’s worth checking the rules on the ticket in either direction. 

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

You’re absolutely correct. My brain needs a re-set. It used to be max 22lbs on AC. Though airlines of other countries that may be connected still have weight restrictions for carry on. The first flight segment is where that would apply. So it’s worth checking the rules on the ticket in either direction. 

I’m not sure that would be true for carry-on, because you are boarding the second flight with the originating passengers. It is definitely true for checked luggage; the rules of your original carrier apply. 

19 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I’m not sure that would be true for carry-on, because you are boarding the second flight with the originating passengers. It is definitely true for checked luggage; the rules of your original carrier apply. 

It’s always been that on the first flight on a journey, baggage is subject to that carriers baggage policy. That’s for check in purposes. It’s caused havoc for overweight charges for some people who don’t realize it. And that includes weight restrictions they may have on carry on baggage. Lufthansa for example. United I think has no weight limit. Here’s where you can check. This is from a current AC ticket. 

Star Alliance or other airline partners

If you’re travelling with another airline partner, you may be subject to the baggage policy and other rules of the airline operating the first flight in your itinerary.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

Air Canada

WestJet

There is a big difference between AC and AC Rouge, which is the one that flies YYZ - FLL route.  They generally enforce putting your carry on bag in the baggage sizer before they will give you your ticket.  AC are usually more relaxed, but the Rouge group are not generous with bags that are overstuffed and will tell you to take things out or check it.