Serenade-Southern-Montserrat Volcano

Hi

I have heard the captain takes Serenade for a close look see of this volcano. Does anyone know what portion of the trip that occurs? Would that be after leaving Antigua or last day at sea going back to San Juan?

When we passed it on the way down it was around 8:00 p.m. You could see the red lava flow glowing down the mountain since it was quite dark out by that time of night. It was the neatest thing to see!!

When we passed it on the way down it was around 8:00 p.m. You could see the red lava flow glowing down the mountain since it was quite dark out by that time of night. It was the neatest thing to see!!

What night do you pass it? After which port?

Hope this link works, just made my first album, these pictures taken from the Serenade about 2 years ago. What looks like smoke or rain, is really dust blowing, also smells like sulfur. Very spooky, it is a must see. In fact that entire sea day was the best I ever had, you pass by many beautiful islands on way back to San Juan.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=548150499&ran=23637

What night do you pass it? After which port?

I believe you pass it the night you leave St Maarten. I didn't see it at night, but even passing it during the day is a treat. My brother was on a different cruise and he said they got maybe 5 miles from it. If you look at the pictures posted on the link by magnumcoog, I can assure you, a telephoto lens was NOT used....you are THAT close to the island, and the other islands you pass on the way back to San Juan, that made this one of the finest sea days I've ever experienced.

We were on the Feb 4th sailing and on the last day went by Montserat and just as we pulled up it starting erupting. In fact it was the biggest eruption the captain said he has ever seen since he started this iternary. We had to back out and get out of there for safety reasons. I had ashes falling on my video camera, it was an unbeilevable site and a highlight of an incredible week on the Seranade. This was the best iternary/ship combination I ever been on.

Jerry

Can anyone tell us:

1) What time of day do you pass it on the sea day? Don't want to schedule a massage and miss it.

2) Exactly which day you pass at night? Antigua would make sense.

3) Which side of ship do you recall being on for the best views?

Thanks a million! This is one of the biggest reasons we booked this itinerary.

Can anyone tell us:

1) What time of day do you pass it on the sea day? Don't want to schedule a massage and miss it.

2) Exactly which day you pass at night? Antigua would make sense.

3) Which side of ship do you recall being on for the best views?

Thanks a million! This is one of the biggest reasons we booked this itinerary.

OPSoccermom...You pass it during the day on Friday (about 11:00 a.m. IIRC). I so confused about sides of ships, but I believe on Friday it's the starboard (right??) side that has the view of the island during the day. The captain lets you out on the helicopter deck as you approach and pass it...that's a great view....plus, we saw flying fish alongside the ship from up there. I believe they pass it the evening you leave St. Maarten and go to Atigua.

Monserrat is one highlight, but wait til you see what the Captain does at the Pitons in St. Lucia!...and there, it doesn't matter what side your on, since he pivots the ship in place to offer views from both sides, however the helicopter deck was also open then.

Off topic...does the "OP" stand for "Overland Park" by any chance. That's where I live and there are tons of soccer moms here.

OPSoccermom...

Actually, the timing to Montserrat on Friday depends on whether Serenade is doing St. Lucia -> Barbados or Barbados -> St. Lucia. She was alternating the order last year. Our last port was St. Lucia and we were at Montserrat at approximately 8:45 AM on Friday. And the island will be on the starboard side of the ship.

Just wait until until that last sea day. It will be unlike any other that you have experienced.

Monserrat is one highlight, but wait til you see what the Captain does at the Pitons in St. Lucia!...and there, it doesn't matter what side your on, since he pivots the ship in place to offer views from both sides, however the helicopter deck was also open then.

Ok, I need to know!!!!!!

What does the Captain do?

Ok, I need to know!!!!!!

What does the Captain do?

I'll qualify this, because Ocean Boy really said it best...you have to see it to believe it. But here's my words to describe it. He gets close....very close...it seems that you could almost reach out an touch them. And then he pivots the ship in place. You must see this on the helicopter deck...I swear I thought we were going to hit them. I will say this...when in St Lucia, DON'T pay for an excursion to the Pitons by boat...the captain will give you a far more fascinating tour.

This cruise was exceptional. I envy the folks who get to go on it each week. The ports are beautiful, the ship is beautiful, and as Ocean Boy said, the last sea day is perhaps one of the most idyllic days you'll ever experience.

Hi! My cousin went on the Serenade the week of December 10th and gave me her Cruise Compass. It isn't listed in the Compass, but she had made a written note that they went by Monserrat at 9:30am and it wasn't to be missed. I guess if you're up on top by 9 you should be fine...

We are sailing the Seranade next January. Everyone's posts regarding this ship just makes me more excited about this cruise! Up until today, I never heard of this volcano or the pitons.

Anyways, can anyone tell me something about the Solarium pool area on the Serenade? My understanding is that it has glass over the top of it. My imagination says it must be like the indoor pool at the Holiday Inn. Please tell me this isn't so. Is the pool area always glassed in, or is that only on bad weather days?

Thanks!

We are sailing the Seranade next January. Everyone's posts regarding this ship just makes me more excited about this cruise! Up until today, I never heard of this volcano or the pitons.

Anyways, can anyone tell me something about the Solarium pool area on the Serenade? My understanding is that it has glass over the top of it. My imagination says it must be like the indoor pool at the Holiday Inn. Please tell me this isn't so. Is the pool area always glassed in, or is that only on bad weather days?

Thanks!

I don't think the roof moves. We were on it over Thanksgiving and had great weather all week, but the Solarium pool was always closed. But if it makes you feel better...it's a far cry from a Holiday Inn indoor pool...it's beautiful.

Archived