Circle Iceland with The Inside Cabin - 24 days on the NIeuw Statendam

You lucky bums! Just left Iceland en route back on V of V to find the Reykjavik volcano started erupting again! Darn! Hope you get to see it! Our lecturer (Jon Sigurdsson, the best!) had given a lecture that showed its recent “oozing” which was beautiful. According to news though it’s definitely a larger eruption now. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, maryandmarge said:

My sister and I are doing a similar trip - 25 days -  July 29th, 2023 on the Zaandam so following along to get lots of good ideas on what we should do.     Safe travels and have lots of fun.

Maryell

I will also be on that cruise.  There is a board called "Zaandam July 29, 2023" that has been started for the cruise next year.  Hope to see you there.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, maryandmarge said:

My sister and I are doing a similar trip - 25 days -  July 29th, 2023 on the Zaandam so following along to get lots of good ideas on what we should do.     Safe travels and have lots of fun.

Maryell

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scrappytraveler said:

Where did you get the pulled pork and Poutine in Sydney?  Looking forward to trying Poutine and love being able to find it with pork as my husband does not beef.

Thanks for the great blog with lots of pictures and information.

Check out the history of Poutine HERE

Lot's of different variations of

Poutine across Canada 

Governor's Pub

Very close to the ship.   See map.   Ship moors near Big Fiddle 

A bank with a ATM is nearby

image.thumb.png.d94060783e38a938dcc2d7515c26cce8.png

governors pub.jpg

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arrived Corner Brook!

They have the "red chairs" set up for photos on the pier.

A few vendor stands available

A few quick hits

Lines are back to normal at guest services.   As others have noted, they really need to have a separate desk set up for IT questions for the first 48 hours - these take a lot of time and really inconvenience people with a quick question.

We seem to get towel animals and chocolates only on "Dressy Nights"

Nightly turn down service is standard - no special request was required.

Internet is the fastest I have EVER experienced on a HAL ship -so far so good.   We have the premium package

RXV06094.JPG

RXV06097.JPG

RXV06100.JPG

RXV06101.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

They’ve been doing the chocolate and towel animals only on dressy nights since last November on the koningsdam.  You know you jinxed yourself with that internet comment 😛.  Thanks for posting the menus.  I’d expected better considering the price of this cruise.  The look pretty much the same as 7 day cruises so far.  I’m enjoying your thread.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They’ve been doing the chocolate and towel animals only on dressy nights since last November on the koningsdam.  You know you jinxed yourself with that internet comment 😛.  Thanks for posting the menus.  I’d expected better considering the price of this cruise.  The look pretty much the same as 7 day cruises so far.  I’m enjoying your thread.

Disagree. Just had towel animals, and other interesting towel creations probably 2/3rds of the 18 nights on our just ended Statendam cruise. And I don't recognize the menu in post #76, although I didn't check the MDR menu for the first night we ate at Pinnacle. But I checked it for every other night we didn't eat in the MDR.

Yes, pillow chocolates only on dressy nights. Speaking of which, how many dressy nights on this 24 day cruise? 3 on our 18 day cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Internet is the fastest I have EVER experienced on a HAL ship -so far so good.   We have the premium package

The internet has been very good except for an hour or so very early yesterday morning when I couldn't connect. It was also good on the Nieuw Amsterdam in June. I'm hoping this means they've switched to a new provider and it will be as good on the World Cruise in Jan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know - I fear the jinx - so far so good!   

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Disagree. Just had towel animals, and other interesting towel creations probably 2/3rds of the 18 nights on our just ended Statendam cruise. And I don't recognize the menu in post #76, although I didn't check the MDR menu for the first night we ate at Pinnacle. But I checked it for every other night we didn't eat in the MDR.

Yes, pillow chocolates only on dressy nights. Speaking of which, how many dressy nights on this 24 day cruise? 3 on our 18 day cruise.

4 Dressy nights scheduled

Here is tonight's menu - just posted on the Navigator

6 Aug.pdf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I said nothing about the nieuw statendam.  I was speaking about the koningsdam.  You read my post, right?  Anyway several other posters have said the same.  Maybe things are different in the Neptune suites. It doesn’t matter whether you recognize the menu.  It’s nothing that I haven’t seen.  You really don’t have to discount every post on this board.

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I said nothing about the nieuw statendam.  I was speaking about the koningsdam.  You read my post, right?  Anyway several other posters have said the same.  Maybe things are different in the Neptune suites. It doesn’t matter whether you recognize the menu.  It’s nothing that I haven’t seen.  You really don’t have to discount every post on this board.

And I was on KDam in Feb/Mar, and there were only towel animals on dressy nights.

This entire thread is NOT about Koningsdam, right?

• Like 1

Final Fiddle Feature

The World’s largest fiddle is in Sydney, Nova Scotia

After a relaxing day at sea, we arrived at our first port, Sydney, Nova Scotia.  This port is best known for the Big Fiddle – which is right on the dock — you can’t miss it.  It is advertised as the largest fiddle in the world.

port-terminal-sydney.jpg The terminal in Sydney has some shops and vendors

We booked the 5-hour “Baddeck & St Anns Loop taxi tour from Sydney & Cape Breton Taxi Tours – price $330 CDN – 10% deposit – balance after the tour.  We were in a Toyota RAV 4 with one person in front and 3 people in the back seat.  Here are our tour stops:

Tour-Route-770.jpg

At 8:18 am we were cleared to go ashore.  There weren’t any immigration formalities.  I assume that since we all had ARRIVE CAN – we were “cleared” electronically last evening.  Our driver, Nap, was waiting for us with a sign and we were on our way at 8:35 am.

Nap told us that on cruise ship days, almost all the taxis get booked for all-day tours leaving the locals a little miffed as they have to wait much longer than normal to get a taxi for their daily business.

The weather was perfect and we enjoyed the scenery as we headed toward the ferry at Englishtown.

We had a brief photo stop at an overlook where we could see the Seal Island Bridge.

seal-island-bridge.jpg

Seal Island Bridge

Continuing on, we arrived at the Englishtown ferry.  The ferry ride was only about 10 minutes and we were quickly back on the road and continued to our first stop – the Clucking Hen Café.  This is a popular stop and there was a large tour bus leaving as we arrived.  They sell coffee and pastries and have clean restrooms.  Judy bought a bag of cookies which we all enjoyed.

clucking-hen-cafe.jpg The Clucking Hen Cafe clucking-hen-cafe-2.jpg

The Clucking Hen has clean restrooms and sells a variety of tasty baked goods

Our next stop was The Gaelic College.  There wasn’t much to see here and you could easily pass this on your trip.  There was a gift shop but not much else.

Outside we met 4 cyclists who were riding the 300 KM Cabot Trail – More HERE.

Cyclists-770.jpg

Linda, Ray, Aaron and Neal

Ray and Linda were taking a more leisurely 7 days to complete the loop, while Aaron and Neal were going to finish in 3 days.  They met at The Gaelic Collegeand spent a few minutes catching up helping with a tube repair before they headed off in different directions.

Trail-Map.jpg

Tourist map showing the Cabot Trail

The Alexander Bell Museum was our next stop.  We didn’t realize that Alexander Belt spent so much time in Nova Scotia.  We only had 30 minutes to explore the museum.  You could easily spend a few hours here.  If you are pressed for time – walk quickly to the far end of the museum and check out the large exhibits, then walk back toward the entrance and stop at those exhibits that catch your eye.

Bell-770.jpg

Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck

Outside the museum, you will find a pair of the “Red Chairs” that are in various parks throughout Canada.  More HERE

red-chairs-bell-museum-770.jpg

Judy and Pete (back) with Brad and Cindy on the Red Chairs in Baddeck

We drove thru Baddeck but didn’t stop due to our schedule.  We did have a few minutes to stop at a sculpture of Alexander Graham Bell and his wife, Mabel, and take a few pictures.

Alexander-Graham-Bell-Baddeck-770.jpg

You can find this park bench on Water Street in Baddeck

Back in Sydney Nap dropped us off at the Governor’s Pub very near the ship.  We got some Fish and Chips, Pulled Pork, and Poutine, which were all very good.

poutine-770.jpg Pulled Pork and Poutine governors-pub.jpg The Governor’s Pub has a nice outdoor seating area pete-and-driver-nap-770.jpg

Pete with our driver, Nap

On the way back to the ship we stopped by the Merchant Marine Memorialand finally the Big Fiddle for some photos.

Merchant-Marine-Memorial-2.jpg Sydney was the starting point for many convoys across the Atlantic during WW II.  This is the Merchant Marine Memorial to commemorate the sacrifice of many
visitor center 770
Visitor Center on Dock
terminal 770 2
Vendors selling Crafts inside the terminal
terminal 770
A small snack area inside the terminal
port side area 770
Pete with new friend
big-red-chair-770.jpg This Big Red Chair is right on the dock in Sydney

Chris Pendleton was the featured entertainer tonight.  She does a stand-up comedy routine and plays some humorous arrangements of popular songs.  She played a medley of songs that you could play on a violin, but probably shouldn’t.  Very entertaining.

Funny-FIddle-770.jpg Chris Pendleton Funny-FIddle-770-2.jpg Chris Pendleton playing the violin

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Red Bay 

Arrived around 8 am 

Tendering started around 8:30

A little rough - check out these pictures

7 Aug Menu attached

Daily Program

Tender Priority Rules

Blog Itinerary and Menu page updated HERE

Went to open tendering at 11 AM