LAX or Orange County

lhsail

As mentioned here frequently,  Orange County is smaller, easier to use. But it increases the likelihood of connecting flights...you can fly nonstop to LAX from many more places. 

The distance to/from LAX to port is complicated by traffic far more than Orange County. I would definitely favor Orange County the vast majority of options, but I can fly there non-stop.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As mentioned here frequently,  Orange County is smaller, easier to use. But it increases the likelihood of connecting flights...you can fly nonstop to LAX from many more places. 

The distance to/from LAX to port is complicated by traffic far more than Orange County. I would definitely favor Orange County the vast majority of options, but I can fly there non-stop.

There are a few options for direct flights out of Austin to SNA. Some on AA and we have miles. 

SNA is a wonderful, user-friendly airport, LAX is definitely not! : )  I'm thinking SNA is about 35 miles from the Port of LA and LAX is about 25. If you fly in the day before and aren't in a rush, the drive from SNA up the Pacific Coast Highway is very pleasant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3girlsmom said:

SNA is a wonderful, user-friendly airport, LAX is definitely not! : )  I'm thinking SNA is about 35 miles from the Port of LA and LAX is about 25. If you fly in the day before and aren't in a rush, the drive from SNA up the Pacific Coast Highway is very pleasant. 

I would prefer to arrive two days before, but DH doesn’t want to spend two nights in LA. Need to convince him this wouldn’t be anything like staying in the city. 

2 hours ago, lhsail said:

I would prefer to arrive two days before, but DH doesn’t want to spend two nights in LA. Need to convince him this wouldn’t be anything like staying in the city. 

Staying in Newport Beach or Huntington Beach is NOTHING like staying in LA! Lots of nice places to stay and things to do. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have you considered flying into Long Beach Airport and stay in San Pedro. Thats our preference over LAX . Never have flown out of Orange County. Might look into it.

20 hours ago, lhsail said:

Definitely fly into SNA over LAX. LAX is a terrible airport.

Newport Beach, Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach are nothing at all like Los Angeles. They are incredible beach communities.

Another from SoCal who votes to avoid LAX if you can. I know sometimes it's not feasible due to flight schedules and cost, but we generally search and chose SNA, ONT and LGB even if it's a little bit more.  LAX in our experience is not traveler friendly and not our favorite local airport.  As previous users stated if SNA is an option and you are coming the day before staying in OC near the beach is a better option if it's in your travel budget.

Appreciate all the information. Found well priced flights in and out of SNA. Leaving Austin at 8:00 am the day before the cruise on SW for just under $100. On AA at 2:45 pm disembarkation day for $80. Think we’ll stay at the Crowne Plaza by the harbor for the night. Have a free night available. 😁 

• Like 5

If we fly into SNA, we have the choice of return flights. Would those in the know recommend an 11:25 or a 2:40 flight time? The difference is arriving back in Atlanta at 6:33 or 9:48pm with a 90 minute drive after collecting luggage and car.

Edited by Guindalf