Internet of the Adventure...???

I read the cc review that all cabins are wired for internet service, and that there was a $100 fee for a 7 day cruise. My question is, is this an all you can surf access or is it still charged by the minute? Is there wireless on this ship? Does it cost extra?

This is only my second time on Royal, first time on one of the "big boys" ;)

Thanks!

The $100 in-room charge is for unlimited use -- I've not used it, but I've heard everything from "slower than dialup" to "no too bad" reported for the speed of the connection. It also requires a connection, so most handheld devices (Palm's, PocketPCs, etc.) will not work, just laptops.

WiFi is now available on all (as of mid December 2005) RCCL ships at hotspots around the ship, but charged by the minute or packaged in bundles of minutes ranging from ~.33 to ~.50 per minute and there is no unlimited option available.

• 1 month later...

I haven't searched the RCCL website, but are there a lot of hotspots on the AOS--does anyone know more or less where they are? Is the concierge lounge one of the hotspots?

Anyone signed up for the $100 unlimited in your cabin and felt that it was really worth it?

I read the cc review that all cabins are wired for internet service, and that there was a $100 fee for a 7 day cruise. My question is, is this an all you can surf access or is it still charged by the minute? Is there wireless on this ship? Does it cost extra?

This is only my second time on Royal, first time on one of the "big boys" ;)

Thanks!

I was AOS at the beginning of march with my lab top. I had a cabin on deck 8 and was able to get the wifi from the room. Theres lots of hot spots around, like the computer room many on deck 11 and other spots. They will give you a map or show you where the location are. You can sign up for a package at a cheeper rate then the 50cents per minute if you don't. I think 60 minutes was around 25$, and yes its not fast maybe just above dial up speed. If your a C&A memeber you will get some coupons for free minutes, so if both in the room is C&A members you will get two and can be applied together. All that i needed to do was email back home to check up on things and to tell about deals on the ship if they wanted. So i would write my email on my labtop and copy it, log onto the rccl wifi post a copy of my text in the email and send it and log off. As quick as possiable, and i made the free minutes last the hole cruise. And i sent pictures which you won't be able to do if you use rccl computers. So i would bring your labtop and use the free minutes and go from there, have fun!!!! :)

I will give you my opinion. I have been on RCCL in the past and used the Cybercabin and yes it is slow but unlimited. i just left the laptp on all the time and sat down at times to check emails. I was able to do some of my type work. The good is that it worked in the room and unlimited but slow.

Last week i was on Carnival and only had WiFi, after that experience i'd prefer the slower dial up. reason is that i had to do the following to make the most of minutes.

-go to common area and connect to internet by logging on to web page

-hit send/receive in the email program, it took about 2-4 minutes depending on what was being sent or received.

-disconnect quickly as possible from internet

-sit down with laptop and read/reply to email

-log back on to internet wifi

-hit send/receive

-disconnect.

i just found it a pain.

given choice i will always choice the slower always on cybercabin

Thanks, ArcticZ: One more question-are the free minutes you get in the C&A booklet for WiFi minutes or the connected kind? Also, how many free minutes do you get per C&A booklet? Thanks!

yes and no :p

both in my cabin were gold memebers and we both got 10 minutes free, so 20 minutes total. My family members in the next cabin were platinummembers and both got 15 minutes free but could only use there 30 minutes in the computer room. So what they did was to go to the computer room swipe there seapass card so they were billed there minutes and when they got near to the end of the total time in a few days went to the main guest desk and they credit it back to there account. It did take longer doing it that way by going to the computer room instead of using the wifi. The gold member coupons say on it that they could use the wifi and computer room. The platinum coupons only say the computer room. I don't know why the differents but there was. Using the rccl wifi is easy, real easy!! If you can click the internet explorer icon your done. If your labtop is set up for wifi ahead of time so you can access your home wifi or work you will have no problem with the rccl wifi. All i did was turn on my computer, told it to find a signal or just click the internet explorer icon and it redirects you to the rccl home page. No way past it, trust me!! hehe :D You have to set up a account ahead of time at the computer room, just a user name and password. Then click the big E or what ever you use to get the internet just like now and put in your user name and pass and your online. Its very easy! anymore questions shoot... I say even if i had to pay 25$ for 60 minutes i probably would, just to email and send pictures back and forth. And to use my own shortcuts instead of typing everything into the rccl computers, it is slow there..... oh i wish i was going again just looking at the pics i took of her now makes me miss that cruise!!

ok, here is scaned copy of my coupon just for you:

http://jeepping.home.comcast.net/coupon1.jpg

its going to be large so you can read it. Its a 5$ credit for internet access, so for 50cents per minute is 10 minutes free with coupon. I really thought i used both coupons but i guess i didn't. So theres a copy of GOLD member coupon for internet access. It says photocopies not accepted so that copy won't help you. Hope that helps, any other questions or want a pic of something on AOS just ask and if i have it i'll post it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came back from the Adventure... Here is my experience with the Internet...

I had to go down to the recepcion to sign up for it, they actually give you another phone that you need to plug in the room... and connect to the phone through the phone jack of your computer. What you do is set up the "cybercabin" which is a basically a dial up network... basically you are calling a server on the ship, and getting access through there...

The service is very slow... about 46.2kbps... I have a 3mbps in my house so it was painfull... for checking email or instant messaging it was perfect, but if you wanted to do anything else, it was very frustrating... I pretty much just left the computer on all the time and the messages were downloaded as they came in... I would check them in the evening and that's it...

There was wifi available, but at 30 cents a minute (by buying the biggest block of minutes) it ain't cheap!!!! You do get a $5 coupon on your booklet...

While we were in Aruba, I sat in my balcony and was able to get a signal from there... it was $10 for the day and the speed was pretty good... That is another option...

I prefer to have my own computer and download my messages to outlook instead of going through webmail, which can be painful at times...

Archived