Coral Princess, Newcastle and Eden advice

Thanks for all the great infomation in this thread.

We'll listen out for the canons at 1pm when we are in town.

We'll also take along our Opal cards to catch the light rail.

We grew up in the Hunter Valley and haven't been to into Newcastle city for over 30 years so very much looking foward to it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Will be in Newcastle on the 21st and 25th of August and on the 2nd of September.

I saw the tunnel tour on their website. I will see if I can book that in for the first stop.

Thanks for the tips on Eden too. I will let my mum know about the pokies at the country club, she's the gambler.

I'll add the Newcastle Memorial Newcastle War Memorial Cultural Centre. It's located behind and overlooking  Civic Park and it's "interesting" fountain and Newcastle Town Hall. In the foyer there are two massive statues, Him & Her is what I call them as I'm not sure of the correct title.  I have a stake in mentioning this as I was named after the sculptor. 

Biography - Lyndon Raymond Dadswell - Australian Dictionary of Biography (anu.edu.au)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'll add the Newcastle Memorial Newcastle War Memorial Cultural Centre. It's located behind and overlooking  Civic Park and it's "interesting" fountain and Newcastle Town Hall. In the foyer there are two massive statues, Him & Her is what I call them as I'm not sure of the correct title.  I have a stake in mentioning this as I was named after the sculptor. 

Biography - Lyndon Raymond Dadswell - Australian Dictionary of Biography (anu.edu.au)

Certainly worth a visit, and the Art gallery is right alongside and has som3 rest exhibits at times 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Why not put on a morning tea guys, between all the CC members, I am sure you could put on a nice welcome for the pax.

I have shown people around in the past, but now I’m not driving it’s not really possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I will have to pass on having a welcome mat for Newcastle arrivals. I am working all days but one, the cruise we will be on in a couple of weeks.

Some more opinions of stuff to do

Insider guides, local tips and Newcastle must-dos - Visit Newcastle

I went visited the museum, a week or so ago, for the first time. It's not big but has a lot of interesting stuff (besides old Armotts biscuit tins). I recommend a visit. Admission is free but donations are welcome.

I have a kinda funny story about my visit. 

I went there with my BF and her daughter, GD (aged 3) and GS (age 1). As we entered I saw, just inside the entry door, a couple of kids scooters rightnext to an electronic card donation box. I assumed the scooters were for use by visitor's kids. I donated $5 and the GD took on one of the scooters and off we went. 

A few minutes later we were caught up by one of the museum staff who told us the scooters belonged to a visitor who had kids visiting, but decided to make them walk instead of scooting, so parked the scooters near the door to collect on their way out. Oops.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

In reverence to the "pie" thread, Harry's is about 150m walk west along the harbourfront from the shuttle drop-off.

Consider thyself counselled young Geoff.  Thread hijack is a capital offence.😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Harry's is an institution, and otherwise a pie cart. I think the original is in Wooloomooloo in Sydney, but Newcastle has had this one for plenty of years now.

https://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/

Yes Geoff, here is an old photo of the Sydney one, My first visit to Harrys was probably about 1966 and many, many times thereafter, working at Darlo/KX.👮‍♂️ Now I have to counsel myself for thread hijack, lol.

503405251_3cafedewheels.jpg.070678e551513703805d1804eacd7d8f.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes Geoff, here is an old photo of the Sydney one, My first visit to Harrys was probably about 1966 and many, many times thereafter, working at Darlo/KX.👮‍♂️ Now I have to counsel myself for thread hijack, lol.

503405251_3cafedewheels.jpg.070678e551513703805d1804eacd7d8f.jpg

Did they let you have a big lunch box to collect your donations in those days?  😉

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I have tried a pie with mushy peas from one in Sydney about seven years ago. It was a bit bland.

I like their healthy option - meatballs & chips with fried onion & cheese sauce washed down with a caramel thickshake. Even more calories than cruise food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I went visited the museum, a week or so ago, for the first time. It's not big but has a lot of interesting stuff (besides old Armotts biscuit tins). I recommend a visit. Admission is free but donations are welcome.

I have a kinda funny story about my visit. 

I went there with my BF and her daughter, GD (aged 3) and GS (age 1). As we entered I saw, just inside the entry door, a couple of kids scooters rightnext to an electronic card donation box. I assumed the scooters were for use by visitor's kids. I donated $5 and the GD took on one of the scooters and off we went. 

A few minutes later we were caught up by one of the museum staff who told us the scooters belonged to a visitor who had kids visiting, but decided to make them walk instead of scooting, so parked the scooters near the door to collect on their way out. Oops.

Hi, we had a port stop at Newcastle a few years ago now, we'd planned to do Fort Scratchley on our own but it was a rainy miserable day and thankfully we spotted the museum from the free shuttle from the port into town, figured it was walking distance and decided to go there instead, out of the rain. It was absolutely worthwhile, very interesting and of course  no charge, just a donation. I too would highly recommend it 👌 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Did they let you have a big lunch box to collect your donations in those days?  😉

Not me mate, I was not on the Vice Squad or No.21 Div Special Squad, lol.

I accepted free sauce on my pie though.😁

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

I like their healthy option - meatballs & chips with fried onion & cheese sauce washed down with a caramel thickshake. Even more calories than cruise food.

That is REAL food Geoffrey. Approved by Jenny Craig, WeightWatchers, Light and Easy, etc etc.😆

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Not me mate, I was not on the Vice Squad or No.21 Div Special Squad, lol.

I accepted free sauce on my pie though.😁

I meant no disrespect Les, very tongue in cheek. It would have been an interesting time to be around KX, and I think there were a few state pollies that had huge lunch boxes back then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

I meant no disrespect Les, very tongue in cheek. It would have been an interesting time to be around KX, and I think there were a few state pollies that had huge lunch boxes back then.

I know that mate, you are a gentleman and a scholar as well as being the cruise master. Yes plenty of big brown paper bags going to the top, pollies and senior police.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1