Porter airline out of Toronto island airport

White123

I love Porter and I love the island airport.  Never once had a problem but a bit of advice:  If you are flying into EWR I would take the earliest flight of the day that you can.  As it’s a smaller airline it has lower priority when weather causes delays.  With an earlier flight you have a much better chance of getting to your destination as the later flights will be delayed until the original flights go out.  If there are multiple delays, the last flight(s) won’t go out until the next day and you’ll have to cross your fingers there is room on the next day’s flights to fit you in.

If you have the time and the inclination, take the ferry to the terminal as opposed to walking through the tunnel.  It’s a much more scenic and restful option.

Also, they are pretty strict on the size and weight of your carry-ons so make sure you adhere to their baggage policy.  If they are running short on overhead bin room you may have to gate-check your bag.  This is never a problem because they are pretty quick getting them out at the other end.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Thanks 1

Love Porter and the Island Airport in Toronto.  Haven’t travelled with them in a few years, since Covid, but we are flying Porter for our cruise in September to avoid Pearson.

Edited by cruisepro19

On 8/4/2022 at 8:45 PM, *Miss G* said:

Also, they are pretty strict on the size and weight of your carry-ons so make sure you adhere to their baggage policy.  If they are running short on overhead bin room you may have to gate-check your bag.  This is never a problem because they are pretty quick getting them out at the other end.

Those Q400 planes have almost no space in the overhead bins. Maybe they will hold a small purse and an umbrella. So almost all carry-on luggage is handled via the gate-check. This is very convenient and it has always been available for us by the time we step off the plane.

Sadly, Porter isn't what it was a few years before the pandemic. There was always complimentary refreshments such as coffee or tea in china cups and shortbreads in the lounge in Toronto and a "box lunch" on the plane. They also shrunk the leg-room from  a pitch of 34 inches to 32 inches. But that is still an inch better than you get on most planes in steerage. When we fly to Quebec to board the Queen Mary 2 in less than two months I will find out if they still serve a glass of wine (and I mean a glass) on board.

We have given up flying Porter to Newark due to the lack of pre-clearance at Toronto Island. The last time the flight was delayed a few hours and we arrived with all the overseas flights. The border officials usually allow Canadians to go with returning US residents so the wait is usually less, but it can still be a nightmare. I know about Nexus but by the time we got serious about applying it was temporarily not possible - and still is.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, White123 said:

Has anyone used them.  Any baggage problems, delays, cancellations.   Thanks

I love Porter too. But I see you are from Burlington. Probably easier for you to fly through Pearson. Very limited parking at the Island airport. You must reserve a spot well in advance. Drop off can be a pain too due to the limited space. I used it mainly for business originating from the downtown core.

13 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I love Porter too. But I see you are from Burlington. Probably easier for you to fly through Pearson. Very limited parking at the Island airport. You must reserve a spot well in advance. Drop off can be a pain too due to the limited space. I used it mainly for business originating from the downtown core.

GO train

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

GO train

I'm in Oakville and taking the Go to Union and then taking the bus to the inland airport will take you at least and hour + . From Burlington 90 minutes minimum. Pearson can be half of that. 

On 8/4/2022 at 4:01 PM, White123 said:

Thanks

Porter was awesome. Flight was delayed 1/2 hr but communication was great and agents were courteous. Bags were on the carousel in EWR waiting for us! The recommendation about flying on an earlier flight to EWR was a good recommendation. Flights were delayed as the day went on. But over all I highly recommend! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I'm in Oakville and taking the Go to Union and then taking the bus to the inland airport will take you at least and hour + . From Burlington 90 minutes minimum. Pearson can be half of that. 

OK  GO says the train is about 1 hr   

It is  an option for the OP  rather than driving to downtown Toronto & finding a parking spot

2 hours ago, White123 said:

I use awalker.  I will take a cab to the airport from union station.  Made a decision to go the day before.    Need to get hotel in Quebec City.  Any suggestions?   Thanks

Sometimes the Chateau Frontenac have a special rate    great view  &  short  taxi ride to the docks

Have a look on Trip Advisor for other deals

2 hours ago, White123 said:

I use awalker.  I will take a cab to the airport from union station.  Made a decision to go the day before.    Need to get hotel in Quebec City.  Any suggestions?   Thanks

If you use a walker you will need to contact Porter to arrange for assistance.  It is a long distance from the entrance to the terminal.  I am not sure if your cab will take you directly to the terminal on the ferry, where you will also require assistance.  Use the links below to make your arrangements and ask your questions.

PORTER DISABILITY ASSISTANCE

BILLY BISHOP ACCESSIBILITY PAGE

BILLY BISHOP AIRPORT MAP

One more thing to note about Porter:  Sign up to be on their email distribution list.  The best sales are going to be available through email only.  Otherwise you will pay the higher advertised rate.

If you haven’t received a promo email when you’re looking to purchase a flight, go to their site and look for a flight that you’re interested in.  Their cookies will pick it up and generate a promo email within a day or two.  Or log into your account and choose the flights you’re interested in but don’t check out.  They’ll send you an email asking if you want to complete your purchase, which will also generate a promo.  Just make sure you hit the promo link in the email or the website won’t pick it up.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

Two things to remember about Porter is the cheapest fares - called Basic -  do not allow any carry-on luggage (a purse or briefcase is allowed) and although on-line check-in is permitted, a boarding pass cannot be printed unless you are a top-tier member.

I used that cheap fare once on a short domestic flight. There was only one agent available at Billy Bishop. I was in the queue for over half an hour. It is worth it to pay a bit more for the second cheapest rate.

On a positive note, there are no middle seats as all their planes are Q400s. The shuttle bus between the airport and downtown (the Royal York Hotel across from Union Station) is still free.

My wife has mobility issues and uses a cane. It is easier for us to take the ferry than the long tunnel. The airport end can be a bit awkward. The last time we arrived there we had requested wheelchair assistance and this was cheerfully provided. The young man took us from the stairway of the plane, through customs, the tunnel and right to a taxi.

Did a trip with Porter , around trip Toronto to Thunder Bay in June 

complete sh$t show ,

they over book the plane , offering people $800  to caught a flight next day 

left 2-1/2 late , 

bag drop took over a hour 🙄

return trip left 1 hour late 

not my favourite airline 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:49 PM, LHT28 said:

OK  GO says the train is about 1 hr   

It is  an option for the OP  rather than driving to downtown Toronto & finding a parking spot

The Go only gets you to Union station which is not close to the island airport. From there you have to take a bus/transit or a taxi/uber (10 - 15 minutes) to the Island Airport. It's about a 30 minute walkif you are so inclined. Yes, it's an option but so is flying out of Pearson if you are in the west end of the GTA. As I said, I love Porter but from Mississauga, Oakville or Burlington, Pearson is much easier to get to than Billy Bishop.

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The Go only gets you to Union station which is not close to the island airport. From there you have to take a bus/transit or a taxi/uber (10 - 15 minutes) to the Island Airport. It's about a 30 minute walkif you are so inclined. Yes, it's an option but so is flying out of Pearson if you are in the west end of the GTA. As I said, I love Porter but from Mississauga, Oakville or Burlington, Pearson is much easier to get to than Billy Bishop.

It usually takes us longer to Porter compared to our flights 

It would be nice if VIA wasn’t so expensive from Cobourg about $43 , the same distance to go from Civitavecchia to Rome about $10 

Just now, LHT28 said:

I would  take YTZ  over the chaos of YYZ  any day

but that is me

People should do what works best for them

YTZ there are no direct flights to anywhere south or EU 

I wonder what is going to happen once Porter gets their jets and start to fly out of YYZ 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

YTZ there are no direct flights to anywhere south or EU 

It depends on where you fly to  if it works for you or not

Friends use it to get to YUL

On 8/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, White123 said:

Has anyone used them.  Any baggage problems, delays, cancellations.   Thanks

I like Porter a lot, and YTZ is a pleasure to go through when the weather is good. Two issues, though:

1. YTZ is on Lake Ontario and is at the mercy of the immediate lake microclimate --  if it's raining or snowing or foggy, flights often get delayed or cancelled.  Way more weather cancellations than Pearson. 

2. Direct flights to NY land at EWR, which is an absolute mess right now  -- cancelled and delayed arrivals and departures, long lines in the border control hall.

Edited by lots-of-km2