Cruise Critic headed out on Marina on Aug. 7 -- any questions?

Cruise Critic Chris

Chris (Cruise Critic Chris)…  You may have missed my question yesterday. Can you publish the names of the current Marina senior staff (we are getting on in a couple of weeks and would love to know)

Specifically:

General Manager

Cruise Director

Food & Beverage Director

Thank You…Bruce

• Members
2 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

Chris (Cruise Critic Chris)…  You may have missed my question yesterday. Can you publish the names of the current Marina senior staff (we are getting on in a couple of weeks and would love to know)

Specifically:

General Manager

Cruise Director

Food & Beverage Director

Thank You…Bruce

Yes! Here is the picture of the current staff. 

7F86F0CC-D5F6-4A26-B9D7-C40D19985106.jpeg

On 8/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, njhorseman said:

Not to excuse many of the shortcomings you experienced on your recent O cruise, but why would you expect O to be comparable to Seabourn? Seabourn is a luxury line, Oceania isn't. Seabourn's market cohorts are the likes of Regent Seven Seas, Silversea, and the late but soon to be resurrected Crystal. Oceania is a notch below in the cruise marketplace and more appropriately comparable to Azamara and Viking. 

Unrealistic expectations are a sure path to disappointment.

You make a fair point regarding cruise line market segmenation. However, I have always considered Oceania competitive with the luxury lines in terms of service, dining and the overall cruise experience with the only exception being the pricing model (non inclusive vs. "all inclusive") under which they operate. I have only taken one Regent cruise...have two more booked, but in terms of the level of service I fail to see any difference between "luxury line" Regent and "premium line" Oceania. IME Oceania has equal or better food/dining experience than Regent, the same tours and generally the staff to guest ratio is the same as far as I know. Perhaps my upcoming Regent cruises will convince me otherwise.

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I believe the plug in the bathroom can only be used for  a shaver  or an electric toothbrush  & the nightlight of course

NO hairdryers allowed  there

thank you. In the bathroom she needs the plug for the electric toothbrush/flosser.  Hope the mirror in the vanity in the cabin lights up. We've found that isn't always there or functional.  Assume those will be gone in the Vista. Wonder about the Riviera and Marina after cabin redos. 

6 minutes ago, edgee said:

You make a fair point regarding cruise line market segmenation. However, I have always considered Oceania competitive with the luxury lines in terms of service, dining and the overall cruise experience with the only exception being the pricing model (non inclusive vs. "all inclusive") under which they operate. I have only taken one Regent cruise...have two more booked, but in terms of the level of service I fail to see any difference between "luxury line" Regent and "premium line" Oceania. IME Oceania has equal or better food/dining experience than Regent, the same tours and generally the staff to guest ratio is the same as far as I know. Perhaps my upcoming Regent cruises will convince me otherwise.

Perhaps there's not a great difference between O and RSS other than the pricing model...I haven't been on RSS, but in reading other boards I often  see luxury lines being lauded for a much higher level of customer-focused service including an attempt to fulfill special requests. It's a culture of "yes" rather than the culture of "no" that I have seen too often on O. On food, at least some luxury lines offer things that I'm not interested in but others apparently are, such as unlimited caviar. 

Chris, Thank you for the staff picture. As avid Oceania cruisers we know Dominique, Peter, Juan Carlos and many others very well having sailed with them many times and are hopfull they are still there when we get on Marina in Oslo September 13th on our cruise to Lisbon. When you sail Oceania often not only do you make new friends with the unique passenger set Oceania attracts, but you develop lasting relationships with the crew. 

For the record, we are also long time fans and users of Cruise Critic and we’ve probably run a  couple of dozen Cruise Critic “Meet & Greets” on Oceania cruises over the years. We jumped on this upcoming cruise this week when our Oceania cruise from LA to Tokyo was in late September was canceled and we wanted a replacement about the same time.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Members

Excursion offerings are always being tweaked. Oceania is currently adding several new categories to their excursions: Go Local (where you do something more off the beaten path); Go Green (highlighting the environment) and Beyond Blueprints (where you focus on architecture). 

I was supposed to try one of each of these on the trip, but the Beyond Blueprints tour in Helsinki was canceled. I am doing Go Local on the last day in Stockholm. 

The Go Green option on this trip was in Tallinn. It turns out it was the first time they had EVER run the tour, so our group were the guinea pigs. 

We met our guide Gregor outside the ship, where we walked to a nearby tram. Instead of heading to Old Town, our tour would focus on the Telliskivi neighborhood - a trendy area of reclaimed warehouses and industrial buildings. 

Our first stop was a store of a designer, Reet Aus, who does "industrial upcycling" - making clothes from leftover factory fabric. The salesperson did her best to explain the process. We then had free time to shop and look around the area, where there were various vendors and people enjoying the day. 

The second part of the tour took us to Fotografiska, a photography museum that has branches in Stockholm and New York. There we visited some exhibitions - although cool, none of which had green themes - and had lunch at the restaurant; which focuses on sustainable cuisine. The selected meal - trout with zucchini and peas with an oil made from the pea pods -  was very good and fresh, a nice counter to some of the heavier food on the ship. 

I found the tour enjoyable but wondered how many cruisers would choose something like this. We were docked in Tallinn until 11 pm so I had time to go visit Old Town and do more typical touristic things. Others in the media speculated that it would appeal to younger cruisers (The tour needs more work; I think, before it reaches that goal). I am also well aware that travel journalists being shown a new tour are not actual paying customers spending their hard-earned vacation dollars. 

For me, it felr a bit like a day that I could have in New York rather than something unique to Tallinn. Gregor did give some nice insight into modern Estonian culture, but you had to pry the more interesting bits out of him. And It was nice to see something beyond the tourist area where normal people might spend a nice Saturday afternoon. But there was a lovely market in a reclaimed train station that could have fit the Go Green topic just as well and perhaps been more interesting. 

What, if anything, are you looking for in new tours? What kind of tours do you wish were on offer that Oceania is not currently providing? 

83A65F40-658A-4E32-8F40-FBA761720592.jpeg

EB30ED45-5DCE-42FB-8760-447B5F97F964.jpeg

30623BF2-30CA-43F7-856D-6F8CAEB8B24D.jpeg

92767D2A-DA6B-48B3-B0D8-79CE9597C0CC.jpeg

C36D178C-41A0-4435-BDC0-2BC2A7C83F38.jpeg

03D78734-B784-4D09-9DFF-CBE06B2D89F4.jpeg

68ED7467-72CE-4BE7-ADD9-F6319DD7CB0C.jpeg

83D1CA8A-0D9E-4E64-96D4-2701A640319D.jpeg

BCCBCF8A-CC6F-4F7B-AE66-07B1411A383E.jpeg

F24314AE-7BBF-4D23-8883-C9F3ADDA2724.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Also in Estonia: We have found the most overt and public anti-Russian sentiments in Tallinn, although signs of support for Ukraine have been visible throughout the region.

Big protest display outside the Russian Embassy in Old Town, as well as anti-Putin statements written on cafe blackboards. 

Our guide Gregor said that Putin has spent millions in the recent decade trying to destabilize democracy in Estonia and the other Baltic countries. "It wasn't a surprise to anyone here," he said, of the Ukraine invasion. "We have lived with this reality for 20 years." 

Estonia is poorer than many European countries but is spending 1% of its GNP to help Ukraine, we were told. The country is still trying to get back to its pre-pandemic level of tourism. 

I know many people aren't traveling to the Baltics because of the Ukraine war; but I'm glad i'm here. 

EFD307CC-65A5-4773-9070-6C5A7D51054E.jpeg

65380C11-E5E8-43E2-911D-E1E06B15C759.jpeg

93E83BE1-6E2C-4C6D-9B47-C25AB36F4DD6.jpeg

309DBE9C-5786-4D4E-8E03-1CC7AE9BEF40.jpeg

• Members

We went back to Red Ginger for a full meal so I could try the duck and watermelon salad. It was delicious! A highlight. 

FWIW, I checked the menu again and it is miso-glazed cod. The server told me that it had been switched from sea bass but couldn't tell me if the change was temporary or not. 

In his presentation on Vista, line president Howard Sherman made a big deal of how certain menu items would always stay the same and he mentioned the sea bass. Perhaps he doesn't know it's been switched! 

92332BFB-DDC8-4CAF-A46A-B8AE27A285D6.jpeg

88BF324B-4B57-4C88-89A8-F0F10750373C.jpeg

07C3E889-AED4-407F-BC67-6CCC63F7F9EA.jpeg

9CABB463-18D7-4B12-8ECB-63F505A58142.jpeg

A8371D30-2C9A-4181-AE7E-31EB9F5C8A44.jpeg

F4B96951-D745-4548-98BF-17DC91758B07.jpeg

C48A310F-60D9-4605-9749-172CA2452C5A.jpeg

• Haha 2

• Members

I took Helsinki as a "sea day" since I had spent time here before. A few bits and bobs/menus from around the ship. 

Loved the "healthy breakfast" option at Waves. I countered that with the wagyu burger and milkshake, though, at lunch, so definitely not a healthy eating day

I also went to afternoon tea and have to say, I was underwhelmed. They gave you a teabag to make the tea yourself. And then they didn't even come around to pour! This is one area where Viking's Wintergarden experience clearly outshines Oceania.

4D2CB233-064F-45A8-B3E4-1E826A49EE4A.jpeg

E37B0075-31D5-4545-B144-2BE049BDF58B.jpeg

BCCCC06D-84B0-467A-98BD-3F20BD8A7F10.jpeg

4DD0EEEC-8B4F-4E5A-91BC-FC2247662607.jpeg

9E531315-38C0-466C-AB98-58444E436CFD.jpeg

1501F24C-2889-435A-B35D-98F6B3081580.jpeg

A2D71CC5-98E3-49D9-8224-6EBC58CDA83C.jpeg

FA3CBE05-28EA-4495-AE99-9CF45FD48606.jpeg

Thanks  for the info on the new tours

The Go Green concept sounds interesting

We like to wander  in  areas where the locals shop  so that would be  interesting to me

Too bad about the afternoon tea

It works  for us  but I guess  if you need help to lift the tea pot  Viking is for you  😄

Does Viking have loose tea  or bags?

• Members
1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

We like to wander  in  areas where the locals shop  so that would be  interesting to me

It works  for us  but I guess  if you need help to lift the tea pot  Viking is for you  😄

Viking has loose tea. I just like a bit of ritual with it all 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
48 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A question. I know the bigwigs are aboard which may affect things, but are they enforcing the dress codes in the GDR and Specialties, or is it still hit or miss?

People seem to be "country club casual" - not seeing any jeans or shorts. Men are wearing polos or button downs, women dresses or nice pants. 

You ask about suggestions for shore excursions.  We all know the demographics on O.  As we get even older, mobility becomes an issue to most.  O does have some tours listed as Easy activity; but they don't have them in every port.  Generally, it's the panoramic drive on a bus.  Additionally, in my experience, often the guide doesn't know and/or adhere to the posted activity level.  There are creative ways to meet the needs of this population - ex. in Tallin a few years ago, we took the shuttle to the base of Old Town and hired a bike rickshaw for several hours.  There are plenty of those bike rickshaws that could be engaged for a shore excursion, with a lunch stop along the way.  I would think that similar experiences could be offered in other ports.

As it is, we do many private shore excursions, with guides who will customize the experience to meet our desires and limitations.  That's revenue that O is losing.

12 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

The second part of the tour took us to Fotografiska, a photography museum that has branches in Stockholm and New York. There we visited some exhibitions - although cool, none of which had green themes - and had lunch at the restaurant; which focuses on sustainable cuisine. The selected meal - trout with zucchini and peas with an oil made from the pea pods -  was very good and fresh, a nice counter to some of the heavier food on the ship. 

Thank you for this!  We will be visiting the Fotografiska next month, and because the restaurant there had such high ratings we had planned to lunch there as well.  Your meal looks lovely.

12 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Excursion offerings are always being tweaked. Oceania is currently adding several new categories to their excursions: Go Local (where you do something more off the beaten path); Go Green (highlighting the environment) and Beyond Blueprints (where you focus on architecture). 

I was supposed to try one of each of these on the trip, but the Beyond Blueprints tour in Helsinki was canceled. I am doing Go Local on the last day in Stockholm. 

The Go Green option on this trip was in Tallinn. It turns out it was the first time they had EVER run the tour, so our group were the guinea pigs. 

We met our guide Gregor outside the ship, where we walked to a nearby tram. Instead of heading to Old Town, our tour would focus on the Telliskivi neighborhood - a trendy area of reclaimed warehouses and industrial buildings. 

Our first stop was a store of a designer, Reet Aus, who does "industrial upcycling" - making clothes from leftover factory fabric. The salesperson did her best to explain the process. We then had free time to shop and look around the area, where there were various vendors and people enjoying the day. 

I found the tour enjoyable but wondered how many cruisers would choose something like this. We were docked in Tallinn until 11 pm so I had time to go visit Old Town and do more typical touristic things. Others in the media speculated that it would appeal to younger cruisers (The tour needs more work; I think, before it reaches that goal). I am also well aware that travel journalists being shown a new tour are not actual paying customers spending their hard-earned vacation dollars. 

For me, it felr a bit like a day that I could have in New York rather than something unique to Tallinn. Gregor did give some nice insight into modern Estonian culture, but you had to pry the more interesting bits out of him. And It was nice to see something beyond the tourist area where normal people might spend a nice Saturday afternoon. But there was a lovely market in a reclaimed train station that could have fit the Go Green topic just as well and perhaps been more interesting. 

What, if anything, are you looking for in new tours? What kind of tours do you wish were on offer that Oceania is not currently providing? 

83A65F40-658A-4E32-8F40-FBA761720592.jpeg

EB30ED45-5DCE-42FB-8760-447B5F97F964.jpeg

30623BF2-30CA-43F7-856D-6F8CAEB8B24D.jpeg

92767D2A-DA6B-48B3-B0D8-79CE9597C0CC.jpeg

C36D178C-41A0-4435-BDC0-2BC2A7C83F38.jpeg

03D78734-B784-4D09-9DFF-CBE06B2D89F4.jpeg

68ED7467-72CE-4BE7-ADD9-F6319DD7CB0C.jpeg

83D1CA8A-0D9E-4E64-96D4-2701A640319D.jpeg

BCCBCF8A-CC6F-4F7B-AE66-07B1411A383E.jpeg

F24314AE-7BBF-4D23-8883-C9F3ADDA2724.jpeg

Thanks for your continuing reporting. Loved this picture of David Bowie. 

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The tea on Viking is far superior. They offer loose tea and have an excellent decaf black tea which is hard to come by. O uses twinnings teas. Not terrible, but definitely not the best choice. 

1 hour ago, khuselid said:

The tea on Viking is far superior. They offer loose tea and have an excellent decaf black tea which is hard to come by. O uses twinnings teas. Not terrible, but definitely not the best choice. 

Decaf TEA 😲

I will take your word for it   I have no desire to sail Viking  no matter how good their tea is 

To each his/her own

• Like 2

Great article, Chris - entertaining and educational.  After our umpteenth Med cruise this year, we are now looking forward, more than ever, to our first Baltic cruise next year. Going forward, I will seek out your CC articles.

Jmnapa

We are within shouting distance east of Sacramento. We too have done many Meds and Chris’ Baltic trip was a great cruise, a definite Must Do. Consider itineraries that go farther around into the North Sea and the Great Britain circumnavigation is very enjoyable.  In 2019 we made the trip from Southampton to Reykjavik and then on to NYC and that trip was wonderful.  Lots of options for your FC’s. Just make sure you book one or more on board so you can get the On Board Booking Discounts and amenities. 
ciao,

Mauibabes 

• Members

Kotka, Finland was the next port after Helsinki. This was a substitute for Poland (still haven't received an answer over why that was canceled) and a new port for Oceania. 

Most of the excursions in this port were either outdoors or centered around water: RIB adventure boat; rafting (at various difficulty levels); hiking and sailing. There was a small town nearby with a shuttle. 

We took the sailing excursion, on a 1949 renovated schooner. It's now manned by volunteers who use it to teach people about Finland's maritime history. 

Nothing too exciting about the sail, although we were surprised to know we were about 20 miles from Russia (yes, we could see it from our boat!) Just a nice day on the water. 

So here's another excursion conundrum: all of the travel media in my group loved this port stop, because it was a nice chance to get outside and do something active. But when we went to La Reserve that night and met three other couples at our table, none had gotten off the ship. They considered it a wasted day. 

This is where Oceania and other lines face a dilemma. How do you appeal to those active people in their 50s/60s -- the cruisers of the future -- while still keeping your base happy? That's not to say that people in their 70s aren't active. But the tastes of the veteran cruisers we met were decidedly different than people who were experiencing the brand -- and cruising -- for the first time. 

Photos from the day on the water. 

2C15BD6D-DEB3-406D-9364-EFA57FAF48BC.jpeg

0988FAC7-6628-4627-AD62-830FB5361E50.jpeg

55A1D0F3-F680-4717-A9F4-0A99AD2E956B.jpeg

C91A5497-F956-4E32-8D86-2F2F99682A46.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris
  • Like 1