ArriveCAN question

mkkao924

I am trying to fill out the ArriveCAN information, and if we plan to enter Canadian border in Skagway, and our official entry port is Victoria (Seattle RT).

In this case, should I use Skagway or Victoria as port of entry? I don't even think Skagway is one of the options. 

You are limited to the options they present in the app.

For one of my ArriveCan entries, I had to look up in Google the highway, route, and official port of entry. It was a pain because I was on ship internet and I wanted to be sure I had everything totally correct.

Having said all that, not once did anyone ask to look at my ArriveCAN entry / QR code.

You will need to complete 2 ArriveCAN submissions. 

1. For boarding the ship, choose arrival by ship at Ogden Point A & B. 

2. Once you board the ship, no more than 3 days prior to arriving in Skagway, complete a land border crossing for your Skagway day into Canada with the entry point as Fraser.

Save screenshots of both, as cell service may not always work. 

It is confusing because you actually arrive in Skagway before Victoria, but you need one to board the ship and another one to cross the land border from Skagway to Canada.

On a tour bus starting in Seattle. Crossing the boarder and go to Vancouver to board our cruise. Wondering how to fill out ArriveCAN. Was told by our group to fill out address of cruise port in Vancouver. Doesn’t make sense to me,

2 hours ago, ETski said:

On a tour bus starting in Seattle. Crossing the boarder and go to Vancouver to board our cruise. Wondering how to fill out ArriveCAN. Was told by our group to fill out address of cruise port in Vancouver. Doesn’t make sense to me,

Since that's where you're going in terms of the land border crossing, it makes enough sense to use that address if it's a same-day transfer. If you are coming up for some pre-cruise overnight(s) then use hotel address.

Key thing is that for land crossing they want to know the border post you intend to cross at, and the time you intend to cross. I'd use 2 hours after leaving Seattle if your pickup is downtown and no other stops en route (add 30mins for a Seatac pickup or another stop or two; an hour if both apply - CBSA are pretty forgiving in terms of time, we've run into unexpectedly good traffic and been a full hour earlier than our ETA without any problem). Buses all cross at the 'truck crossing' which is variously known as Douglas or Pacific Highway, local Canadian side address in Surrey BC.

Depending where your cruise goes, that might be you done with ArrCAN entirely (one way to AK, no Canadian stops) but if it involves an RT cruise that brings you back to Canada, you'll need to complete a second Trip AFTER crossing the border. ArrCAN does not hold multiple trips, so trying to add a second one before completing the first simply writes over the data!

Plenty free WiFi all over downtown (citywide #VanWiFi network, plus the pier itself should have their own wifi operating) so if it's a charter coach rather than one of the scheduled buses that have WiFi on board, you might need to wait until you arrive but you'll still have time. Setting up a new Traveler is the only bit that takes any time - after that, each Trip is a matter of 2 minutes to pull who is going from your list of stored people and add where and when they cross the border again.

Thanks for the info. Our cruise leaves from Vancouver and returns to Whittier. Guessing we only need to fill out ArrCan once, when crossing the boarder by bus from Seattle.

Edited by ETski

I was there last week, and rented a car from Skagway and drove into the Yukon without issue.   Here's how:

When completing the ArriveCan app, we did not mention Skagway or the Yukon in any way, and could not find a place to do so.  We simply completed our ArriveCan, as instructed by our cruise line, based on our start and end ports and corresponding flight plans.  I also couldn't figure out how to add an additional entry for the Skagway-to-Yukon drive prior to boarding, and I'm pretty sure that there is no place to do so in the app.

After renting the car, when we got the boarder, the Canadian guard took our passport, and when he ran it, he commented that "it looks like you've already completed the Arrive Can app, so you're good there."  We were allowed to cross without issue.

The requirements are constantly changing, but as of last week, this was basically a non-event for us.