Maui Ocean Center

groundloop

We'll be cruising to Hawaii in September and I'm thinking about visiting the Maui Ocean Center.  Instead of purchasing this as a shore excursion (and being tied down to the excursion's schedule) I'm thinking it might work out better just to take a taxi or Uber from the port (Kahului). 

Can anyone give me some feedback as to how reliable that would be as well as an approximate cost?

23 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Can anyone give me some feedback as to how reliable that would be as well as an approximate cost?

It's about a 20 minute ride from where you'll be docked. Uber will be about $25-30 each way and is fairly reliable, especially in the area by the airport where you'll be. I usually build in a little bit of time when I Uber in Maui-- 10-15 minute waits for cars isn't unheard of but they do always show up. 

Since you'll already be halfway there could be fun to jump over to Lahaina for lunch or dinner before or after. The aquarium is not very large and won't take you a ton of time to see. Frankly I find it a little underwhelming but we have friends and family that enjoyed themselves. But I wouldn't budget a ton of time for it-- 1-2 hours at the most. 

Uber in Kahului isn't that hard to find, Maalaea Harbor could be a challenge. It is between the population centers of Kihei and Lahaina. If you can get a Uber to come get you, it is probably 20-30 minutes away when they take your order.

Aloha,

Uber and Lyft are improving on Maui, and I "think" you will be fine. Like Scottca stated, uber from Maalaea will be more challenging. If you are so inclined you can use Mauibus. $2 each way ($1 for seniors lol). There aren't a lot of stops between Kahului and Maa'laea so it only takes 25 minutes. You'd have to walk from the port to Queen Kaahumanu center to jump on the bus. It's about a mile walk. I've found Mauibus to be reliable in terms of time. If you can't get a uber back, this is a viable option.

As far as Ocean Center goes, be sure to see the 3D whale video. It's short but amazing. The restaurant inside the ocean center has a great happy hour mai-tai. My second favorite on the island. The Ocean center itself is 2-3 hours, but I can easily spend many more hours in Maa'Laea Harbor watching the boats come in/out. There is some shopping (I love the Pacific Whale store) and Tantes also has a good happy hour. 

Personally I wouldn't recommend heading to Lahaina. Uber will be expensive each way, but more important than that is traffic. There is only one road (for all intents and purposes) from Kahului to Lahaina. A flat tire or a fender bender can back up the Pali for hours. A serious accident can close the road entirely. There have been many planes missed when the Pali is closed and it happens more often than one might think. IMO if you are only on Maui for a day, it's best to avoid crossing the Pali unless you are on a ships tour.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time on my favorite slice of paradise! 

• Like 1