Wheelchair assistance at Baltimore Pier

Janet524

I will be travelling with a friend in October departing on Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore.  She is semi-mobile but cannot walk any distance nor stand for a prolonged period of time.  I doubt she would be able to stand in a line waiting to get through security and I know she will require wheelchair assistance to board the ship.  Does anyone know if I would be able to arrange wheelchair assistance through Royal Caribbean, or if we will have to gamble on getting a wheelchair once at the port?  Any information will be appreciated.

Is she going to need mobility assistance onboard?  Distances can be long…. And what about walking in port?  The ship can provide mobility assistance once inside the terminal but once onboard, she is on her own.  And no chair provided for in ports.  EM

Cruise ships are large. If your traveling companion has issues with walking more than 50 feet for standing for a length of time, you probably should consider bringing something like a rollator, wheelchair, or scooter to help them move about the ship.

A.collapsible wheelchair can fit it pretty much every cabin while folded. Cabin doors are smaller than normal home doors so scooters and power wheelchairs may not fit.

The cruise line or port can (usually) provide someone to help push a wheelchair onto the ship but will take the wheelchair with them to help other passengers (unless you brought your own). Generally, ship’s staff can’t provide full-time assistance in pushing but will generally help navigate a wheelchair through a dining room or help carry a tray.

In port, the traveling party is generally responsible for pushing any wheelchair. Usually, ship excursions will be specially labeled if they can accommodate wheelchairs. Usually, tour busses with steel stairs are used. Most buses do not have lifts.

Contact the access department and they can arrange for wheelchair assistance when you arrive to the pier.  Then when you arrive you can let them know she needs wheelchair assistance once she arrives at the pier.