Revised NCL/Oceania COVID Guidelines Out Today: Drops Pre-Cruise Testing for the Vaccinated

MEFIowa

53 minutes ago, Debbers said:

We were the same--double jabbed and double boosted--and still caught the virus aboard.  We were not very ill, but spent 11 days in covid jail.

We did a week in Barbados then 2 weeks on Sirena plus 2 days in Barcelona then 10 days later I did a week in Marina. I guess I should do the lottery more often …

I don’t think I like this. I’m past FP date for a November Regent cruise, so I’ll go on that. Might consider canceling the 4 Oceania/Regent reservations I have……

I guess I’ll wait for FP date for each reservation before pulling the trigger.

I’m interested to hear what everyone else is planning on doing???

it is unfortunate that they will allow unvaccinated pax  at this point in time

People are still getting covid  some get it worse than others  even when vaxed & boosted

Not everyone presents with just  mild cold symptoms

It was inevitable  but it is still too early to drop the fully vaccinated rule  IMO

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Based on the SailSafe effective for sailings after September 2, it looks like Oceania is also not covering you any longer even if you take and have a negative test before travelling: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2022-08/sail-safe-new.pdf

These are not the terms we signed up for when we booked the cruise and we are past final payment!  How does Oceania expect people to get coverage this late in when travel cancellation/interruption insurance usually has to be bought shortly after the booking is made?

I see you are from Canada.  Manulife sells Covid travel interruption insurance: covers medical/quarantine for both Covid and non-Covid medical coverage - doesn't cover Cancellation though.  I bought it - was fairly inexpensive compared with 'regular' travel insurance that included cancellation. I looked around and couldn't find any other coverage easily that covered Covid since most insurers are saying that it is a 'known risk' and insurance is for unknown risks. Its refundable up to departure which is nice and you don't need to buy it when booking the cruise/putting down deposits etc;

Edited by Nuka
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I don’t think I like this. I’m past FP date for a November Regent cruise, so I’ll go on that. Might consider canceling the 4 Oceania/Regent reservations I have……

I guess I’ll wait for FP date for each reservation before pulling the trigger.

I’m interested to hear what everyone else is planning on doing???

I am feeling the same way.  Just paid for a December cruise.  i have a number of other cruises that FP is not yet due.  DH and I will seriously consider whether we will go on those or cancel.  We are not happy about this.  I feel like the rules were changed in the middle of the game.

Terri

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rheasue38 said:

Hi!

Quick question` If you are leaving in Oct. from NY and will arrive in Canada 4 or more days later do you need a covid test at embarkation? 

Rhea

Since you are embarking in the U.S. I don't believe you will need to provide a negative Covid test at embarkation. If you were embarking in Canada, or if your cruise was visiting Bermuda within 4 days you would have to provide a negative test result.

Jan1, you seem very well connected to NCLH mgmt. What are/were they thinking when they decided to allow unvaxed pax to sail? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

I can see the logic for dropping the pre-cruise test requirement…..hasn’t stopped covid from being spread onboard. But by allowing the unvaccinated (“the great unwashed” I call them) to sail, mgmt is inviting very serious cases to happen w greater frequency. 
Me no happy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Turkey has no entry requirements as of 6-1-2022, you don't need to show that you are vaccinated and you don't need a negative COVID test.   https://tr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-2/

Greece also changed their masking requirements on 6-1-2022.   https://greekreporter.com/2022/06/01/face-masks-greece-coronavirus/

BTW - we get on Riviera when you get off.   Take good care of her for us!  😀

Joe

You are amazing for relaying all of this information to us!  And I promise....I will do everything in my power to keep the Riviera PRISTEEN and ready for you!  Thank you so much for your lighthearted response and attitude!  We could use more of it these days.....

17 minutes ago, bbqoug said:

Since you are embarking in the U.S. I don't believe you will need to provide a negative Covid test at embarkation. If you were embarking in Canada, or if your cruise was visiting Bermuda within 4 days you would have to provide a negative test result.

This is incorrect. Canada requires a pre-embarkation test for any cruise ship visiting (or starting) in Canada, regardless of where it originated, or how long it takes to get there. The test can be a PCR up to 72 hours prior to embarkation, or a rapid antigen test up to 2 days prior to embarkation (not arrival in Canada). 🍺🥌

Edited by CurlerRob

11 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

"

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings today announced revisions to its SailSAFE health and safety protocols for its Norwegian, Oceania and Regent brands. Vaccinated guests aged 12 and over will no longer have any pre-cruise COVID-19 related protocols and unvaccinated guests may embark with a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to departure, subject to local regulations. According to a press release, this policy will go into effect across Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises for all sailings that commence on or after September 3, 2022. Requirements may differ for guests traveling on voyages departing from or visiting destinations with specific local regulations, including but not limited to Canada, Greece and Bermuda."

Norwegian Cruise Line Drops Pre-Voyage COVID-19 Testing - Cruise Industry News

This was great news! Where is the best place to go regarding what is necessary at various ports? Seems like Cruise Director should do this at least a week before the cruise.

39 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Jan1, you seem very well connected to NCLH mgmt. What are/were they thinking when they decided to allow unvaxed pax to sail? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

I can see the logic for dropping the pre-cruise test requirement…..hasn’t stopped covid from being spread onboard. But by allowing the unvaccinated (“the great unwashed” I call them) to sail, mgmt is inviting very serious cases to happen w greater frequency. 
Me no happy.

This may sound crazy but after giving it a little thought I'm not sure that it actually will change much for Oceania & Regent cruisers. Where the change will be is NCL. The management is attempting to have the same protocols across all three lines. Perhaps that keeps it simple. 

I could be wrong on this, but I think the demographics of NCL cruisers are more likely to be unvaccinated than the cruisers on Oceania or Regent. There are certainly many more young children that would be on NCL. I don't think there's a big pool of cruisers that are unvaccinated ready to book Oceania or Regent that have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for this. 

Personally, I plan on staying vaccinated and boosted. I live in a tourist county with less than 30% vaccination rate. I'm out in the tourist areas every week talking to people. I'm not in the least bit worried about being around unvaccinated people, as that's basically been my life since I was eligible for the vaccine, which I think was sometime around March of 21. As far as I know I haven't got covid yet, but I realize it could happen anytime. 

PS, as far as your question to Jan, not answering for her, but from all appearances it's a business decision. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rheasue38 said:

Hi!

Quick question` If you are leaving in Oct. from NY and will arrive in Canada 4 or more days later do you need a covid test at embarkation? 

Rhea

If the ship enters Canada  you need a test prior to boarding

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Also  ARRIVECAN

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

2 hours ago, Nuka said:

I see you are from Canada.  Manulife sells Covid travel interruption insurance: covers medical/quarantine for both Covid and non-Covid medical coverage - doesn't cover Cancellation though.  I bought it - was fairly inexpensive compared with 'regular' travel insurance that included cancellation. I looked around and couldn't find any other coverage easily that covered Covid since most insurers are saying that it is a 'known risk' and insurance is for unknown risks. Its refundable up to departure which is nice and you don't need to buy it when booking the cruise/putting down deposits etc;

Thanks for this.

But does Manulife refund me or give me credit for the prorated amount of my cruise fare that I spend in quarantine if I test negative before the cruise but I contract Covid during the cruise?  That's what Oceania was doing until this announcement and is going to keep on doing this only for cruises that sail before September 3 (unless I'm interpreting the SailSafe incorrectly).

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

I have a Marina cruise Dec. 4 and count me as a happy camper with no more testing. I have no concerns a

or trepidations about cruising with untaxed people although Oceania raisers are probably all ready vaccinated. I have had 2 jabs, 2 boosts, and still I tested positive last Thursday. I had no idea I had covid but I'm glad I did as I now have natural immunity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

This is incorrect. Canada requires a pre-embarkation test for any cruise ship visiting (or starting) in Canada, regardless of where it originated, or how long it takes to get there. The test can be a PCR up to 72 hours prior to embarkation, or a rapid antigen test up to 2 days prior to embarkation (not arrival in Canada). 🍺🥌

Good to know. I was confused by the wording of the SailSafe document.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Thanks for this.

But does Manulife refund me or give me credit for the prorated amount of my cruise fare that I spend in quarantine if I test negative before the cruise but I contract Covid during the cruise?  That's what Oceania was doing until this announcement and is going to keep on doing this only for cruises that sail before September 3 (unless I'm interpreting the SailSafe incorrectly).

No..this is more for out-of-pocket costs as a result of sickness or missed connections.  For me, getting prompt insurance covered healthcare was my primary concern.  You can call them to discuss coverage to see if it suits.  I will cancell my upcoming cruises - It troubles me that risk has increased and I booked based on what I understood was the cruiseline policies.  Doesn't work for me - I should probably take a break from cruising till I feel more settled.

• Thanks 1

If they started the new policy for cruises that haven’t been open for booking, I could understand it.  For those of us who are already booked, it is a real disappointment. I trusted that when I booked the safety protocols would be in place.  Now it seems like a bait and switch.  My cruise in December is already paid with credits from previously canceled cruises.  If I don’t sail by end of 2022, my credits will be gone.  I will be watching the stats carefully.  If there is a big increase in cruise Covid on O, I will not sail….

I will likely never sail on O again.  
For those people who are happy that you don’t need a negative test before boarding, My advise is test anyway.  If you are positive, stay home. Be responsible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

... I’m interested to hear what everyone else is planning on doing???

Wife and I were on Riviera 12/13-23/21 (W. Caribbean), the last cruise that essentially looked like pre-cruising, before the late Dec-Jan spike in cases. BUT it didn't seem as if anyone was adversely impacted by COVID. As for the fully vaccinated today, the now endemic virus seems to put so few into the hospital and so many even fewer die.

And I had no issues on a 16-day trip to Paraguay in April-May, 2022. No COVID. Few COVID concerns. Both USA and Paraguay removed the testing requirements after I flew down there (on the flight to Chicago we were told we could remove our masks due to that court order dropping the requirement, so flew from Des Moines to Sao Paulo unmasked).

So FULL SPEED ahead for our 11/18-28/22 cruise on Sirena (E. Caribbean). Can't wait.

We will, nonetheless, test for our Sept 9 sailing.  As for unvaccinated, I’m not worried as the sailing has been sold out for month, presumably to people who knew the had to be vaxed.  We won’t sail O in the foreseeable future given the changed requirements for vaccination, we saw it coming though and cancelled our Dec PC sailing at final payment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

For those people who are happy that you don’t need a negative test before boarding, My advise is test anyway.  If you are positive, stay home. Be responsible.

Just curious, are you planning on getting tested when you disembark and then return to the ship after every excursion? After interacting with all those in port or out and about in country.

Seems weird how COVID testing is desired by so many worried about travelers from Minneapolis to Miami but suddenly those same people don't give a rip about testing if it is say returning to the ship from a day in Belize City, Bermuda, Helsinki, Rio, Rome, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jondfk said:

As for unvaccinated, I’m not worried as the sailing has been sold out for month, presumably to people who knew the had to be vaxed. 

Unvaccinated passengers will be able to book on your cruise as soon as those already booked cancel their reservation prior to final payment.

For cruises already After final payment, you might be right. Here’s hoping!

24 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Unvaccinated passengers will be able to book on your cruise as soon as those already booked cancel their reservation prior to final payment.

For cruises already After final payment, you might be right. Here’s hoping!

The cruise they are talking about leaves on Sept 9th. FP is well passed. I'm not too worried about non vaxed passengers on it. 

Edited by ORV

The latest Covid infections are from Omicron.

Vaccinated people are just as likely to contract Omicron Covid as unvaccinated people. Vaccinated people are less likely to require hospitalization, ventilation or die. 

Therapeutics work.

You are more likely to catch Covid from a vaccinated person boarding a cruise untested than an unvaccinated person tested before boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Robjame said:

The latest Covid infections are from Omicron.

Vaccinated people are just as likely to contract Omicron Covid as unvaccinated people. Vaccinated people are less likely to require hospitalization, ventilation or die. 

Therapeutics work.

You are more likely to catch Covid from a vaccinated person boarding a cruise untested than an unvaccinated person tested before boarding.

Where do you come up with this stuff?